Need new brakes/Tires - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Need new brakes/Tires

Hey so I need new brakes and tires pretty badly need some opinions on what I should go with...

For brakes I was thinking of getting Brembo Rotors/Pads I don't know if there's anything equally or close to as good for cheaper?

Tires - No idea any suggestions would be great...

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
You probably should have made that thread that here........
Handling Tech - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #3 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
moved...

Pads: Hawk HPS
Rotors: Turn your current rotors. If you need new ones buy something cheap.

Tires:
Wheel / Tire FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc
Q: Can you recommend some tires?

Well sure. This is my biased opinion but I'll recommend a cheaper tire and a nicer tire in each of the four classes. If you want a more impartial opinion, I suggest visiting Tire Rack's tire survey section. Here's a link:

Customer Tire Survey

Anyway, here are some tires to consider:

All Season
Cheap: Continental ContiExtremeContact
Nice: Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

Winter
Cheap: Dunlop Winter Sport 3D
Nice: Nokian WR

Summer (what most people here are looking for)
Cheap: General Exclaim UHP
Medium: BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2
Nice: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Max Performance
Cheap: Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Nice: Yokohama Advan Neova AD07

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #4 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
^You can do that and go gheap and end up modding your car the mediocre and unsafe way, just remember that at the end you'll end up having to waste more money to fix stuff later . Or you can do it right the first time and spend less money once.

Just keepin mind that tires and brakes are serious bussiness, its not only about performance, its also a matter of safety...
post #5 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You seem to be confusing cheap with crap. Enough. If you're entire argument is just to criticize mine, keep it to yourself.

There are plenty of low priced options out there that are excellent performers.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Sorry for posting in the wrong section, I guess I will look into the hawk pads and a set of decent but cheap rotors, as for tires I guess I will just have to read some reviews.

Dream Evil
post #7 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You seem to be confusing cheap with crap. Enough. If you're entire argument is just to criticize mine, keep it to yourself.

There are plenty of low priced options out there that are excellent performers.
I am not confusing anything, I am talking out of my past experiences, this is not the first car that I mod, I've had a few sets of tires, I should know enough to have a valid opinion, the same goes for brake components. These are simply areas not to be taken lightly and where pricing issues ussually take one to make dumb desicions.

If you feel criticized and/or you dont like to be, though deal, I think that if I can help a fellow enthusiast giving him better advise I should do so. Period.

DreamEvil, if you tell us what do you want your tires for (summer, all weather, max performance...) it might be easier to help...
post #8 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Come on guys, I don't like to see people getting all upset. Let's not turn this into nasioc. I see both points of view and you're both correct:

mosc is pointing out that it's possible to get decent quality tires/brakes relatively inexpensively

and taking into consideration fuapiti's personal experience with different brands of brakes/tires, he recommends getting the best quality products you can afford

I think the common ground between your points of view is: look for good quality products.

John
07 WRX

Last edited by man show; 03-21-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: forgot the lime green font :)
post #9 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

^I agree.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
I have run Falken Ziex 512's,Kuhmo ASX's and currently Yokohama AS430's.The Yokohama's have a longer life but all three as far as all season tires go are great bangs for the bucks and perform just as good if not better than tires costing twice as much.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #11 of 22 Old 03-22-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti View Post
I am not confusing anything, I am talking out of my past experiences, this is not the first car that I mod, I've had a few sets of tires, I should know enough to have a valid opinion, the same goes for brake components. These are simply areas not to be taken lightly and where pricing issues ussually take one to make dumb desicions.

If you feel criticized and/or you dont like to be, though deal, I think that if I can help a fellow enthusiast giving him better advise I should do so. Period.

DreamEvil, if you tell us what do you want your tires for (summer, all weather, max performance...) it might be easier to help...
For Tires I am looking for probably leaning towards all weather tires since my car is a daily driver, as for brakes not necessarily looking for the best performance brakes but since I need to replace them I figure I might as well do some kind of upgrade in performance since my car is definitely a lot faster then it was stock so I figure if I am accelerating faster I want to stop faster too.

Dream Evil
post #12 of 22 Old 03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
I agree with Mosc, get Hawk pads they are great, and if your current rotors are out of spec to turn them, just go to like Advance Auto Parts and get there rotors. Crap rotors for example would be like the cheap ones on EBAY or something. ha ha
post #13 of 22 Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
True I was talking to my buddy, he has a very very similar set up as me, and he was telling me that he didn't really like the hawk pads very much he tried another brand after forget the name right now but said he swears by them.

Dream Evil
post #14 of 22 Old 03-22-2009, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Well its really up to the owner on the preference of merchandise you purchase for your vehicle, just do some research before you go and spend the money.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yah, I like literally have no money to spend really after the turbo upgrade. I figured I would find out some name brands from you guys so I could at least narrow down my search to some degree.

Dream Evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement