need advice: brake pad - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-12-2008, 01:30 PM
cj3
WRXtuners Member

cj3 is an unknown
need advice: brake pad

It looks like my STi needs new pads. First time (after 11 000 km) i replaced the used ones with new oem ones. Now (after another 11000 km run) i would like to install a better performance pads. Although i do tracks occasionally i do abuse brakes a lot, so i'm looking for a more racing than street oriented compound. I've been thinking about the Ferodo DS2500 series...

let's put money out of the equasion for a moment - having in mind the stock rotors, i'm interested in the tech and performance comparison of the pads themselves

Please, any advice is deeply appreciated.

PS: also which SS brake line would you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2008, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
SS brake lines will help you give you a more solid feel then the rubber lines, as for brake pads with stock rotors your best going off with Hawk Pads.
#3 Old 04-12-2008, 03:18 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
+1 I use/recommend the Hawk HPS as well.Goodrich makes some very wallet happy SS lines.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 AM
cj3
WRXtuners Member

cj3 is an unknown
Thanks for the input.
I am a little lost between the following 3 choices:
1. stick to OEM STi pads
2. Ferodo DS2500
3. Hawk HPS

Having money and squiking left a side, may anyone compare the performance of those?

PS: does a Perring maser cylinder brace help on a 2007 STi?

Last edited by cj3; 04-13-2008 at 04:07 AM.
#5 Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Both aftermarket pads will perform better than the stock pads even on the stock rotor.I think both the Hawk HPS and the Ferodo DS2500 are close in performance but price wise the Hawks are the winner.Pretty much all Subies suffer from firewall flex when you start putting alot of force on the brake pedal.I would think the Sti would have the same problem.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#6 Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
read the break threads.

stick with your OEM pads.

use the brakes corectly. im at 35K miles on the factory pads.
#7 Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
read the break threads.

stick with your OEM pads.

use the brakes corectly. im at 35K miles on the factory pads.
everyone does have different driving techniques though, i would go with the HAWK HPS heard a ton of good things about them

and he plans on tracking it sometimes so an upgrade is always nice. although there are some posts by people in here that say stock brakes are good and not need upgraded.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#8 Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
I have the Stoptech stage 2 and I did felt the difference, probably the most significant components are the pads (Axxis, better braking than OEM but noisy as hell and too damn dusty) and the braided lines (pedal feels much more firm).

I'd say go with the Fedoros, I know a few guys that track their STi's and Evos and that's what they use and recommend...
#9 Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
well you mention track, so nix the oe pads off your list-the HPS are OK track pads (good street pads), the 2500's IMO are about the best compromise pad out there for occasional track days and daily driving- are there better daily driving pads- yes- oe ones , are there better track day pads- yes the DS3000's - can I think of one that would do both pretty well- yup the 2500.

the more track days you start doing it will become evident that swapping in dedicated track pads makes good sense- w/ Brembos (or FHI 4/2 pots) pad swaps are pretty quick/easy.

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
#10 Old 04-18-2008, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
everyone does have different driving techniques though, i would go with the HAWK HPS heard a ton of good things about them

and he plans on tracking it sometimes so an upgrade is always nice. although there are some posts by people in here that say stock brakes are good and not need upgraded.
if your tracking your car at level that would require modified breake components then just swapping the pads will do little for you. you might have one better component but the other portions of the system are still weak, and you will have the same effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti View Post
I have the Stoptech stage 2 and I did felt the difference, probably the most significant components are the pads (Axxis, better braking than OEM but noisy as hell and too damn dusty) and the braided lines (pedal feels much more firm).

I'd say go with the Fedoros, I know a few guys that track their STi's and Evos and that's what they use and recommend...
congratulations, you car defies physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
well you mention track, so nix the oe pads off your list-the HPS are OK track pads (good street pads), the 2500's IMO are about the best compromise pad out there for occasional track days and daily driving- are there better daily driving pads- yes- oe ones , are there better track day pads- yes the DS3000's - can I think of one that would do both pretty well- yup the 2500.

the more track days you start doing it will become evident that swapping in dedicated track pads makes good sense- w/ Brembos (or FHI 4/2 pots) pad swaps are pretty quick/easy.
the pads are not the only component in the system that suffer degraded performance from heat. simply replacing one component in the system will not drastically alter your prolonged braking performance.
#11 Old 04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
i
the pads are not the only component in the system that suffer degraded performance from heat. simply replacing one component in the system will not drastically alter your prolonged braking performance.
clearly doesn't do you any good to have a pad that withstands heat only to have your fluid boil

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
#12 Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
I learn on here that stock brakes are fine for every car. It doesn't matter how you drive or what you use your car for, STOCK IS BEST.
Now, that I have that out of the way, I would agree with Big Sky. The Hawk HPS are great street pads, I swap in DS3000 for track days.
#13 Old 04-18-2008, 02:33 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I went hawk pads not because I thought they would make me stop faster but because they were about the same money as OEM pads and I figured what the hell. I have noticed a little bit more consistent breaking from them during more usual partial breaking (I'm not talking full break dives) and I see a good bit of value in that. I'll definitely get them again.

Do I think they make my car stop faster? No. Still, giving crisp feedback to the driver so THEY can drive better is an underrated benefit.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#14 Old 04-18-2008, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfartracer View Post
I learn on here that stock brakes are fine for every car. It doesn't matter how you drive or what you use your car for, STOCK IS BEST.
holy crap, what thread did you find that wad of miss information in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
giving crisp feedback to the driver so THEY can drive better is an underrated benefit.
+1

thats a good reason to buy 3rd party pads.
#15 Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
cj3
WRXtuners Member

cj3 is an unknown
Thanks again to everyone for the input. I have ordered the ds2500 brake pads a week ago, along with BF Goodrich SS lines. I have also prepared Motul RBF 600 brake fluid.

Regarding the OEM pads issue... my opinion is that until someone (a daily car abuser like me :P) have gethered enough feedback, one should stick to the oem parts, simply for safety reasons. This is why i paid about 600 usd the first time for front pads from the local Subaru Service Shop. I knew I was spending a lot and i could find better ones for less, but i simply didn't have the time to research on the topic. My idea was that OEM is never wrong for the usual use of a vehicle.

This brings a second issue regarding the use of OEM pads - are they the best you could use? No. Why? Because even a car with a more "sportish attitude" like the STi is still produced as a compromise for the general audience. It is pretty reasonable for one to be looking for a more appropriate setup for a more specific drivign style.

And here is my thing, since i "explore" my car a lot, i would like to have a better performance brakes. Yes, it is my daily driver, but i still think my brake system could be improved and some noises would not overcome the safety i'm after with installing better brake components.

PS: one personal advice, do not compromise on brakes and tires. Choose wisely what suits you best.

2007 Subaru Impreza STi
1984 Toyota Corolla AE86 20v