Subaru WRX Forum banner

lowering spring that wont eff up my shocks does it exist?

41K views 69 replies 17 participants last post by  c2bcoolwrx 
#1 ·
cause yesterday i got clowned on by how high my car is and for a while now ive been wanting to lower it. ive herd bad things about coilovers, even tho they seem to be the best rout to go. id like to get some springs that lower the car by 1.5 inches, yet that wont put unnessary wear on my shocks yet have a nice ride quality.

could anyone point me to some springs that are like that? thanks

#3 ·
Anything stiffer than stock will pretty much wear out your struts faster. The spring/strut combo on the car is paired together for a reason. But if you search on here there are several that I have heard good about. Contact either RCE I believe it is, or even TiC (turn in concepts) Im sure they could help you solve your issue.

#4 ·
well i looked around online and what not and found a guy that lowered his 05 with megan racing springs. he said that the springs were soft. from what i gathered: if the spring rate is stiffer than the stock shocks, the shocks will wear out faster. what would happen if i put those springs that are soft with the stock shocks. what would happen exactly? would the steering response and handeling be sloppy?

btw i have absolutely noooo clue when it comes to suspension

#5 ·
Do NOT get Megan springs, they are complete and total crap (FYI, that guy is an idiot). Too much rate and way too much drop for the stock struts (technically we have struts, not shocks). A 1.5 inch drop is too much for the stock struts, will take your suspension out of it's "sweet spot", and hurt your handling.

For good quality springs that are designed to pair nicely with the stock WRX struts:

Swift Sports
Prodrive Blues
Mach V Blues
Epic Engineering

Please stay FAR, FAR away from any Megan Racing product as they make complete Junk for ricers. Also, keep in mind that any lowering spring will shorten the life of your struts and struts tend to have a usable life of ~80k miles. Just make sure to get a spring designed to work with the stock struts and the ones I mentioned are 4 of the best.

#6 ·
^I agree with them not being the best, but they are not soft by any means. I would say get with TiC as well. Buddy of mine has the Prodrive blues on his and it rides stiff as well, but not as stiff as Tein or several others. You can't go wrong with coilovers.

#8 ·
You can't go wrong with coilovers.
WTF. Yes, you can go wrong with coilovers. Most people have no need for them and most coilovers are designed for the track and not the street/crappy roads. Unless you are willing to spend $1800+ on a good set of coilovers (i.e. RCE, TIC/AST), they are a terrible idea. Cheap coilovers (i.e. Helix, Megan, Godspeed, etc) have terrible valving, cheap compenents/construction, and will not survive in a winter as the snow/salt will rust/bind them.

For most people a good spring/strut combo is the way to go. Such as the TIC TOK package which includes:

Tokico Dspecs
RCE Blacks or Yellow Springs

I would also add the following:

Group N Top Hats Front/Rear
Camber bolts for the rear (to help dial in the alignment)
Drex extenders (to adjust the dspecs easily w/o removing the rear seat)

I also agree with MOSC that the STi struts and springs are a nice upgrade. The only problem with them is if you get the struts used. The used '04 struts are prone to getting the "clunk." But, that can be easily remedied by disassembling them and regreasing them. Also, new STi struts are pretty expensive.

If you want new struts I think Koni Inserts or Tokico Dspecs are the way to go (excluding the ultra expensive/bad@ss Ohlins), as both are more capable than STi struts and have better valving (more comfortable). But, if your budget is tighter and you only want a mild increase in performance (and need new struts) I would go with KYB GR2s and WRX style springs (Prodrive Blues, Swift Sports, Mach V Blues).

I have done TONS of research in the area of suspension upgrades, talked to Myles of RCE, talked to Clint/Tony of TIC, and ridden/driven various setups (STi/WRX). This is just my 2 cents.

#7 ·
Get 04 STi springs AND struts. It's a great combination with more capability. It does have a drop but not a huge one. It also has a significantly higher springrate to make up for it and the beefier shocks can handle it.

#10 ·
I went with TEIN H-Techs. The spring rate is a bit softer than the STI pinks. The look is good. I want to say that the ride has gotten rougher, so I think my struts are going. I've only got 34k on my car total, and about 8k running the springs.

I'll probably upgrade to KYB's next year.

+1 on the rear camber bolts. It made alignment to factory settings a breeze, or so the alignment guy told me. :)

#11 ·
I am not a fan of the Tein H Techs. Yes, they are better than the HORRIBLE S-techs, but they are still not that good.

The H-techs for a 04-07 WRX Sedan specs:

Rates: Front 229 / Rear 196
Drop: Front 1.8"/ Rear 0.7"

IMHO, 229lbs/inch in the front is too much for the WRX struts. That high of a rate combined with a 1.8" drop in the front killed your struts. Also, the HUGE difference in the drop from front to rear results in a nose down/weird looking stance IMHO. The H-techs really are not a good match for stock WRX struts or GR2s. Also, that HUGE 1.8" drop takes the WRX McPherson strut setup out of it's sweet spot and hurts your handling (as I explained big drops do in my earlier post).

I would get good springs and new struts (i.e. GR2s, Koni Inserts, Dpsecs). If you go with GR2s go with a WRX style spring (as I mentioned in my earlier post) or if you go with Dspecs/Koni Inserts go with a STi style spring (i.e. RCE Blacks/Yellows, Prodrive Reds, STi Swift Sports).

FYI: For a chart to reference various springs/rates/drops/etc (it is not a complete list, but has many of the more popular ones):

Springs/Struts/Camber Plates

Note to those new to suspension modding:

Please do some research before you purchase anything (or at least post your plans). This is why so many people have crappy setups with bad springs (i.e. Teins, Megan, etc) and blow their stock struts so quickly. You MUST match the drop/rate of the choosen springs to the capablity of your struts. Also, you CANNOT slam a WRX 1.5+ inches and expect it to handle well b/c you will loose travel, change the angle of your control arms, and in short just ruin your handling. /End rant :eek:ROFL

#13 ·
Good stuff indeed. I researched for like 6 months before I got the TEINS. :(

I thought up to two inches was OK for stock struts. I guess not.

I'll see how this winter goes, when the temp. drops below 15 the roads get really rough. But they were rough with the stock set up too. In the spring when I get new struts it looks like I'll have to pick up better springs too.

I really dig how my car sits though.

#14 ·
Yeah, I agree... based on looks alone, I think that's just about the perfect stance. It looks pretty even front and rear with the tiniest bit of wheel gap showing - not completely slammed, but not a 4x4 either. Too bad it takes such a huge toll on handling.

#15 ·
i checked out those perrin springs. they seem pretty legit, and according to the diagram they are ok with the stock shocks. it says that they maybe to "progressive" but that a spring like that is ok for a DD

#16 ·
The Perrin springs are crap. They have WAY too much drop for the stock struts. Read the diagram again, it says "maybe too low." The drop listed in the chart for the Perrins is 2" front, 1.7" rear. That is just too much and will surely kill your struts and really hurt your handling (as I repeatedly said in my earlier posts). Also, Perrin does not even make/sell those springs any more.

Trust me sitck with any of the following:

Swift Sports
Epic Engineering
Mach V Blues
Prodrive Blues

IMHO those 4 springs are the best on the market for the stock WRX struts, bar none. They are good quality, provide a good ride, and match VERY nicely with the stock WRX struts. Oh and in case you were about to ask, the Eibach Prokit is pretty crappy too. The Eibach Prokit Springs are too soft and are just kind of whishy washy with handling.

#17 ·
dang it! i seriously was about to ask about those too. ahh forget it, i might as well just spend my money on getting a bigger tmic or something. cause it looks like i just cant get a 1.5 inch drop all around with out upgrading the struts. i just really REALLY hate the 4x4 look. i swear i can see moutain tops from my car.

just to clarify and not to annoy anyone (cause im a super newb about suspension)

these springs would jack up the stock struts Perrin Performance - Sport Springs H&R WRX/STI

#18 ·
just to clarify and not to annoy anyone (cause im a super newb about suspension)

these springs would jack up the stock struts Perrin Performance - Sport Springs H&R WRX/STI
Those are the H&R springs and they drop 1.5" front and 1.3" rear, which is still too much drop for the stock struts IMHO. Also, they don't ride as well as the ones I previously mentioned (I rode in a WRX with those at a local meet and I was not impressed). Also, I cannot find the spring rates for those H&R springs and since that part number (HR-54457) is for both the '04-07 WRX and STi it is probably too much rate for your stock WRX struts.

Dude, stop looking for that big drop and get one of those 4 springs I metioned (trust me any of those will give you a nice stance/good look). You cannot slam a WRX 1.5" and expect your struts to survive and it not to hurt your handling. No way around it as thats just the nature of the WRX McPherson strut setup, b/c it does not like to be slammed.

Suspension travel is a good thing, it is already limited enough so when you slam a WRX 1.5" you will have almost none and be very close to riding on the bump stops. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth so accept it. :beatentod

Edit: Here is a link to my favorite springs of the 4 I mentioned, the Swift Sports (there are specific sedan and wagon versions):

04+ WRX Sedan Swift Sport Springs - Turn In Concepts

04+ WRX Wagon Swift Sport Springs - Turn In Concepts

#21 ·
^True.... !Thumbs Up

Brings up a point 2+ years ago Mosc and I had a debate on aftermarket springs (which he doesn't like very much) and I went ahead and put them on anyways.... 2+ years later AND with a different car.... I wouldn't do springs again.... You know how opinions go.

My .02

#22 ·
this sucks so much. i don't use my car for track or anything of that sort. just a DD with some spirited driving here and there. i hate how high my car sits and refuse to spend money just to lower my car barely an inch. i don't want my car slammed but i want it much lower so the wheel gaps aren't so noticeable. you guys are telling me that coil overs suck and springs suck and that the only springs i should get are the ones that will will lower my car to a point where you'd have to get a ruler just to notice how low it went.

i think im just gona put the whole suspension thing off for a while and spend time on performance. seeing how im still rolln with the shoe box intercooler.

#26 ·
wow...that actually looks legit i went outside and measure it and sure enough it does provide a decent drop in the front. also on top of that..this may sound suuuper rice but my front and rear bumper were jacked up when i bought the car and i wasnt really to sure what to do. i was lookn around and i found this AIT FULL BODY KIT I IMPREZA WRX 06-07 FRONT REAR BUMPER:eBay Motors (item 350273676836 end time Nov-12-09 10:17:15 PST)
and to be honest i like the way it looks. i swear im not rice. i just need new bumpers and lips haha

#29 ·
this may sound suuuper rice but my front and rear bumper were jacked up when i bought the car and i wasnt really to sure what to do. i was lookn around and i found this AIT FULL BODY KIT I IMPREZA WRX 06-07 FRONT REAR BUMPER:eBay Motors (item 350273676836 end time Nov-12-09 10:17:15 PST)
and to be honest i like the way it looks. i swear im not rice. i just need new bumpers and lips haha
ROFL That kit is kind of ricey. Also, it is only $260, so I would expect piss poor fitment and poor quality molds/material. I would not put that on my car. :notgood:

Just get some stock/OEM bumpers and replace them. IMHO, clean and simple is the way to go. Body Kits, Huge Wings, and huge fartcan/canister style exhasts with that ugly "JDM Slant" are just rice.

#32 ·
I have never understood why anyone would want an exhaust to sit at a slant or have that burnt blue titanium tip. To me that screams....

Maybe I am just older than you guys (I am 28). I just find stuff like that to be in poor taste and too over the top. How old are you all, if you don't mind me asking?

#34 ·
Im 26. I agree with you c2bcool. I used to have a "JDM Style" exhaust. It was cool for a little while. But the look and sound (to me) got annoying. My wife is 22 and she doesnt like the slant exhaust either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.