Subaru WRX Forum banner

lowering spring that wont eff up my shocks does it exist?

41K views 69 replies 17 participants last post by  c2bcoolwrx 
#1 ·
cause yesterday i got clowned on by how high my car is and for a while now ive been wanting to lower it. ive herd bad things about coilovers, even tho they seem to be the best rout to go. id like to get some springs that lower the car by 1.5 inches, yet that wont put unnessary wear on my shocks yet have a nice ride quality.

could anyone point me to some springs that are like that? thanks

#66 ·
If you don't intend to make frequent changes to the suspension, you don't need coilovers. Their main advantage is adjustability. If you're not on a race course, that's a rather useless feature no offense. You can get good aftermarket struts and springs which will drastically improve performance without the need for coils. Also, $1500 will get you bottom of the barrel el-cheapo coilovers. Not worth it. You can, however, get really good struts and springs for that price. Another key point is that coils don't last that long. They need frequent rebuilding. They're very expensive, impractical for a daily driver (I've seen many people who put them on, never adjust them again, and them they lock up), and need to be replaced more frequently.

#67 ·
So you guys convinced me to get the MachV springs. I picked up a used set with about 15k miles on them. I'm going to switch them out in the fall when it starts to get colder.

I had my shocks/struts inspected at DS1 last time I was in, and he said they look fine, so the TEIN h-techs didn't kill my shocks. I've only got 38k on the car, so I think I'll keep my stock shocks for a while.

#69 ·
I know KYB makes their AGX struts for the 02-03 that "can fit" the 04-05 as well. I have used the GR2s and the AGX, and hands down the AGX are better suited for a lowered car. I have heard both ways that they'll bolt straight up on an 05, but someone also said they had to use the top hat to bolt it up. Either way, the AGX is what I'd try to shoot for on an 05 when the time comes, personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.