lowering spring that wont eff up my shocks does it exist? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
i checked out those perrin springs. they seem pretty legit, and according to the diagram they are ok with the stock shocks. it says that they maybe to "progressive" but that a spring like that is ok for a DD
The Perrin springs are crap. They have WAY too much drop for the stock struts. Read the diagram again, it says "maybe too low." The drop listed in the chart for the Perrins is 2" front, 1.7" rear. That is just too much and will surely kill your struts and really hurt your handling (as I repeatedly said in my earlier posts). Also, Perrin does not even make/sell those springs any more.

Trust me sitck with any of the following:

Swift Sports
Epic Engineering
Mach V Blues
Prodrive Blues

IMHO those 4 springs are the best on the market for the stock WRX struts, bar none. They are good quality, provide a good ride, and match VERY nicely with the stock WRX struts. Oh and in case you were about to ask, the Eibach Prokit is pretty crappy too. The Eibach Prokit Springs are too soft and are just kind of whishy washy with handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
dang it! i seriously was about to ask about those too. ahh forget it, i might as well just spend my money on getting a bigger tmic or something. cause it looks like i just cant get a 1.5 inch drop all around with out upgrading the struts. i just really REALLY hate the 4x4 look. i swear i can see moutain tops from my car.

just to clarify and not to annoy anyone (cause im a super newb about suspension)

these springs would jack up the stock struts Perrin Performance - Sport Springs H&R WRX/STI

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#18 Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
just to clarify and not to annoy anyone (cause im a super newb about suspension)

these springs would jack up the stock struts Perrin Performance - Sport Springs H&R WRX/STI
Those are the H&R springs and they drop 1.5" front and 1.3" rear, which is still too much drop for the stock struts IMHO. Also, they don't ride as well as the ones I previously mentioned (I rode in a WRX with those at a local meet and I was not impressed). Also, I cannot find the spring rates for those H&R springs and since that part number (HR-54457) is for both the '04-07 WRX and STi it is probably too much rate for your stock WRX struts.

Dude, stop looking for that big drop and get one of those 4 springs I metioned (trust me any of those will give you a nice stance/good look). You cannot slam a WRX 1.5" and expect your struts to survive and it not to hurt your handling. No way around it as thats just the nature of the WRX McPherson strut setup, b/c it does not like to be slammed.

Suspension travel is a good thing, it is already limited enough so when you slam a WRX 1.5" you will have almost none and be very close to riding on the bump stops. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth so accept it.

Edit: Here is a link to my favorite springs of the 4 I mentioned, the Swift Sports (there are specific sedan and wagon versions):

04+ WRX Sedan Swift Sport Springs - Turn In Concepts

04+ WRX Wagon Swift Sport Springs - Turn In Concepts
#19 Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
. Yes, you can go wrong with coilovers. Most people have no need for them and most coilovers are designed for the track and not the street/crappy roads. Unless you are willing to spend $1800+ on a good set of coilovers (i.e. RCE, TIC/AST), they are a terrible idea. Cheap coilovers (i.e. Helix, Megan, Godspeed, etc) have terrible valving, cheap compenents/construction, and will not survive in a winter as the snow/salt will rust/bind them.

For most people a good spring/strut combo is the way to go. Such as the TIC TOK package which includes:

Tokico Dspecs
RCE Blacks or Yellow Springs

I would also add the following:

Group N Top Hats Front/Rear
Camber bolts for the rear (to help dial in the alignment)
Drex extenders (to adjust the dspecs easily w/o removing the rear seat)

I also agree with MOSC that the STi struts and springs are a nice upgrade. The only problem with them is if you get the struts used. The used '04 struts are prone to getting the "clunk." But, that can be easily remedied by disassembling them and regreasing them. Also, new STi struts are pretty expensive.

If you want new struts I think Koni Inserts or Tokico Dspecs are the way to go (excluding the ultra expensive/bad@ss Ohlins), as both are more capable than STi struts and have better valving (more comfortable). But, if your budget is tighter and you only want a mild increase in performance (and need new struts) I would go with KYB GR2s and WRX style springs (Prodrive Blues, Swift Sports, Mach V Blues).

I have done TONS of research in the area of suspension upgrades, talked to Myles of RCE, talked to Clint/Tony of TIC, and ridden/driven various setups (STi/WRX). This is just my 2 cents.

1st of all, he is in TX (There are no sh!tty roads)

2nd of all, anyone willing to buy a 800.00 set of springs and struts can easily spend 150.00-200.00 more on a set of BC coilovers.

3rd. <---- Well, look at #1 (Salt is non existent).

4th. You are going into all valves, adjustments, top hats, etc.... Is he going to track the car with the coilovers on it....Bet yur @$$ he will.

Good point of not buying the cheepies. Buying spring and struts is a crap shoot AT BEST. He may not like the ride quality, may not like the drop, etc....

Skip the middle man

/thread

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#20 Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Good point of not buying the cheepies. Buying spring and struts is a crap shoot AT BEST. He may not like the ride quality, may not like the drop, etc....

Skip the middle man

/thread
I agree he is in TX, so no snow/salt. However, Coilovers are a crap shoot. Coilovers require A LOT more maintenance, rebuiliting, revalving, etc. BC coilovers may be the best of the lower end coilovers, but they are no where near as good as TIC/AST or RCE coilovers. Also, if his car is a daily driver the higha$$ spring rates of the BCs and limited travel are just not as good for the street and daily commute. The BCs are valved for track use and ride as such.

Tokico Dspecs and RCE Black springs are a GREAT/DURABLE and proven setup, that is very capable for the track/autoX while complient enough for the street. Coilovers are a waste for a daily driver and it is MUCH more likely he will not like the ride quality with coilovers.

Lastly, the dude wants springs that will not kill his stock WRX struts. So he has no need for coilovers, thus all this is a moot point.
#21 Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^True....

Brings up a point 2+ years ago Mosc and I had a debate on aftermarket springs (which he doesn't like very much) and I went ahead and put them on anyways.... 2+ years later AND with a different car.... I wouldn't do springs again.... You know how opinions go.

My .02

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#22 Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

this sucks so much. i don't use my car for track or anything of that sort. just a DD with some spirited driving here and there. i hate how high my car sits and refuse to spend money just to lower my car barely an inch. i don't want my car slammed but i want it much lower so the wheel gaps aren't so noticeable. you guys are telling me that coil overs suck and springs suck and that the only springs i should get are the ones that will will lower my car to a point where you'd have to get a ruler just to notice how low it went.

i think im just gona put the whole suspension thing off for a while and spend time on performance. seeing how im still rolln with the shoe box intercooler.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#23 Old 11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
this sucks so much. i don't use my car for track or anything of that sort. just a DD with some spirited driving here and there. i hate how high my car sits and refuse to spend money just to lower my car barely an inch. i don't want my car slammed but i want it much lower so the wheel gaps aren't so noticeable. you guys are telling me that coil overs suck and springs suck and that the only springs i should get are the ones that will will lower my car to a point where you'd have to get a ruler just to notice how low it went.

i think im just gona put the whole suspension thing off for a while and spend time on performance. seeing how im still rolln with the shoe box intercooler.
IMHO a 1 inch drop looks really good (click the thumbnail to enlarge the picture).

Those are the Mach V blues:

Mach V Springs (04-07 WRX) - Springs & Shocks
#24 Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Best bang for the buck: heat your springs to a nice cherry red with a torch and jump up and down on the car until they cool. Bam, lowered car.

Unfortunately I know of this being done at least once on somebody's crappy car in high school....

-Chris
#25 Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
i chopped the springs on my Integra when i was 17 and didnt have any money....stupidest thing i ever did.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#26 Old 11-10-2009, 03:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

wow...that actually looks legit i went outside and measure it and sure enough it does provide a decent drop in the front. also on top of that..this may sound suuuper rice but my front and rear bumper were jacked up when i bought the car and i wasnt really to sure what to do. i was lookn around and i found this AIT FULL BODY KIT I IMPREZA WRX 06-07 FRONT REAR BUMPER:eBay Motors (item 350273676836 end time Nov-12-09 10:17:15 PST)
and to be honest i like the way it looks. i swear im not rice. i just need new bumpers and lips haha

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#27 Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
dude....you are soooooo rice..LOL

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#28 Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

oh come on. it doesnt look rice. i think it looks pretty clean. paint it all obp with the lowering springs. i think it would look pretty legit

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#29 Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
this may sound suuuper rice but my front and rear bumper were jacked up when i bought the car and i wasnt really to sure what to do. i was lookn around and i found this AIT FULL BODY KIT I IMPREZA WRX 06-07 FRONT REAR BUMPER:eBay Motors (item 350273676836 end time Nov-12-09 10:17:15 PST)
and to be honest i like the way it looks. i swear im not rice. i just need new bumpers and lips haha
That kit is kind of ricey. Also, it is only $260, so I would expect piss poor fitment and poor quality molds/material. I would not put that on my car.

Just get some stock/OEM bumpers and replace them. IMHO, clean and simple is the way to go. Body Kits, Huge Wings, and huge fartcan/canister style exhasts with that ugly "JDM Slant" are just rice.
#30 Old 11-10-2009, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

lol i guess ill just a lip kit for it. btw i love my jdm slant hahahah

Keshav (kay-shuv)