lowering spring that wont eff up my shocks does it exist? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
lowering spring that wont eff up my shocks does it exist?

cause yesterday i got clowned on by how high my car is and for a while now ive been wanting to lower it. ive herd bad things about coilovers, even tho they seem to be the best rout to go. id like to get some springs that lower the car by 1.5 inches, yet that wont put unnessary wear on my shocks yet have a nice ride quality.

could anyone point me to some springs that are like that? thanks

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
I'm just guessing here but I would imagine the SPT springs would be the best since they were made by Subaru.
#3 Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Anything stiffer than stock will pretty much wear out your struts faster. The spring/strut combo on the car is paired together for a reason. But if you search on here there are several that I have heard good about. Contact either RCE I believe it is, or even TiC (turn in concepts) Im sure they could help you solve your issue.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

well i looked around online and what not and found a guy that lowered his 05 with megan racing springs. he said that the springs were soft. from what i gathered: if the spring rate is stiffer than the stock shocks, the shocks will wear out faster. what would happen if i put those springs that are soft with the stock shocks. what would happen exactly? would the steering response and handeling be sloppy?

btw i have absolutely noooo clue when it comes to suspension

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#5 Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Do NOT get Megan springs, they are complete and total crap (FYI, that guy is an idiot). Too much rate and way too much drop for the stock struts (technically we have struts, not shocks). A 1.5 inch drop is too much for the stock struts, will take your suspension out of it's "sweet spot", and hurt your handling.

For good quality springs that are designed to pair nicely with the stock WRX struts:

Swift Sports
Prodrive Blues
Mach V Blues
Epic Engineering

Please stay FAR, FAR away from any Megan Racing product as they make complete Junk for ricers. Also, keep in mind that any lowering spring will shorten the life of your struts and struts tend to have a usable life of ~80k miles. Just make sure to get a spring designed to work with the stock struts and the ones I mentioned are 4 of the best.
#6 Old 11-09-2009, 05:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^I agree with them not being the best, but they are not soft by any means. I would say get with TiC as well. Buddy of mine has the Prodrive blues on his and it rides stiff as well, but not as stiff as Tein or several others. You can't go wrong with coilovers.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Get 04 STi springs AND struts. It's a great combination with more capability. It does have a drop but not a huge one. It also has a significantly higher springrate to make up for it and the beefier shocks can handle it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
You can't go wrong with coilovers.
. Yes, you can go wrong with coilovers. Most people have no need for them and most coilovers are designed for the track and not the street/crappy roads. Unless you are willing to spend $1800+ on a good set of coilovers (i.e. RCE, TIC/AST), they are a terrible idea. Cheap coilovers (i.e. Helix, Megan, Godspeed, etc) have terrible valving, cheap compenents/construction, and will not survive in a winter as the snow/salt will rust/bind them.

For most people a good spring/strut combo is the way to go. Such as the TIC TOK package which includes:

Tokico Dspecs
RCE Blacks or Yellow Springs

I would also add the following:

Group N Top Hats Front/Rear
Camber bolts for the rear (to help dial in the alignment)
Drex extenders (to adjust the dspecs easily w/o removing the rear seat)

I also agree with MOSC that the STi struts and springs are a nice upgrade. The only problem with them is if you get the struts used. The used '04 struts are prone to getting the "clunk." But, that can be easily remedied by disassembling them and regreasing them. Also, new STi struts are pretty expensive.

If you want new struts I think Koni Inserts or Tokico Dspecs are the way to go (excluding the ultra expensive/bad@ss Ohlins), as both are more capable than STi struts and have better valving (more comfortable). But, if your budget is tighter and you only want a mild increase in performance (and need new struts) I would go with KYB GR2s and WRX style springs (Prodrive Blues, Swift Sports, Mach V Blues).

I have done TONS of research in the area of suspension upgrades, talked to Myles of RCE, talked to Clint/Tony of TIC, and ridden/driven various setups (STi/WRX). This is just my 2 cents.
#9 Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
agreed, good stuff.^^^^^^

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#10 Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I went with TEIN H-Techs. The spring rate is a bit softer than the STI pinks. The look is good. I want to say that the ride has gotten rougher, so I think my struts are going. I've only got 34k on my car total, and about 8k running the springs.

I'll probably upgrade to KYB's next year.

+1 on the rear camber bolts. It made alignment to factory settings a breeze, or so the alignment guy told me. :-)

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#11 Old 11-09-2009, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
I went with TEIN H-Techs. The spring rate is a bit softer than the STI pinks. The look is good. I want to say that the ride has gotten rougher, so I think my struts are going. I've only got 34k on my car total, and about 8k running the springs.

I'll probably upgrade to KYB's next year.

+1 on the rear camber bolts. It made alignment to factory settings a breeze, or so the alignment guy told me. :-)
I am not a fan of the Tein H Techs. Yes, they are better than the HORRIBLE S-techs, but they are still not that good.

The H-techs for a 04-07 WRX Sedan specs:

Rates: Front 229 / Rear 196
Drop: Front 1.8"/ Rear 0.7"

IMHO, 229lbs/inch in the front is too much for the WRX struts. That high of a rate combined with a 1.8" drop in the front killed your struts. Also, the HUGE difference in the drop from front to rear results in a nose down/weird looking stance IMHO. The H-techs really are not a good match for stock WRX struts or GR2s. Also, that HUGE 1.8" drop takes the WRX McPherson strut setup out of it's sweet spot and hurts your handling (as I explained big drops do in my earlier post).

I would get good springs and new struts (i.e. GR2s, Koni Inserts, Dpsecs). If you go with GR2s go with a WRX style spring (as I mentioned in my earlier post) or if you go with Dspecs/Koni Inserts go with a STi style spring (i.e. RCE Blacks/Yellows, Prodrive Reds, STi Swift Sports).

FYI: For a chart to reference various springs/rates/drops/etc (it is not a complete list, but has many of the more popular ones):

Springs/Struts/Camber Plates

Note to those new to suspension modding:

Please do some research before you purchase anything (or at least post your plans). This is why so many people have crappy setups with bad springs (i.e. Teins, Megan, etc) and blow their stock struts so quickly. You MUST match the drop/rate of the choosen springs to the capablity of your struts. Also, you CANNOT slam a WRX 1.5+ inches and expect it to handle well b/c you will loose travel, change the angle of your control arms, and in short just ruin your handling. /End rant :eek:
#12 Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

thanks allot. i definitely appreciate it.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#13 Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Good stuff indeed. I researched for like 6 months before I got the TEINS.

I thought up to two inches was OK for stock struts. I guess not.

I'll see how this winter goes, when the temp. drops below 15 the roads get really rough. But they were rough with the stock set up too. In the spring when I get new struts it looks like I'll have to pick up better springs too.

I really dig how my car sits though.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#14 Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, I agree... based on looks alone, I think that's just about the perfect stance. It looks pretty even front and rear with the tiniest bit of wheel gap showing - not completely slammed, but not a 4x4 either. Too bad it takes such a huge toll on handling.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#15 Old 11-09-2009, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

i checked out those perrin springs. they seem pretty legit, and according to the diagram they are ok with the stock shocks. it says that they maybe to "progressive" but that a spring like that is ok for a DD

Keshav (kay-shuv)