light weight rotors - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

YELOWRX is an unknown
light weight rotors

I've been doing some research on brakes and it kinda coming up short in this area for WRXs. What is a good light weight rotor to fit in the stock rims? (I use the stock rims in the winter so they have to fit stockers)

And I know rotors don't help braking that much, I just want some light ones.

Right now my idea is :
Stock calibers
Hawk HPS pad
Goodridge Brake Lines
Some DOT4 brake fluid (any suggestions?)
and some slotted rotors. (kinda leaning to powerslot rotors)

Any specs on weights of different rotors would be awesome but I don't expect it.

(Also car is 03 WRX, daily driver that will see 1 maybe 2 track days / year and will have to deal with snow and salt)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
There a little pricey but it's what your looking for http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/dba/index.jsp

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#3 Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

YELOWRX is an unknown
Were you talking about the 4000 series or the 5000?

I didn't see any specs on the weight of these on the site, do you know any of that info?

I'm sure that the 5000 would be lighter (2 piece), but I can't justify spending 300/rotor unless they are extremely lighter than stock rotors.

Which bring up another point, does anyone know how much the stock rotors weigh?
#4 Old 07-11-2007, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by YELOWRX View Post
Were you talking about the 4000 series or the 5000?

I didn't see any specs on the weight of these on the site, do you know any of that info?

I'm sure that the 5000 would be lighter (2 piece), but I can't justify spending 300/rotor unless they are extremely lighter than stock rotors.

Which bring up another point, does anyone know how much the stock rotors weigh?
weight is not really an issue with rotors, you wont even notice it! i just paid 400$ for power slot front rotors and hawk hps pads and i love the set-up! dont fuss about weight, once you get some nice rotors and pads you wont care about weight when you see how much faster you can stop your car!
#5 Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
weight is not really an issue with rotors, you wont even notice it! i just paid 400$ for power slot front rotors and hawk hps pads and i love the set-up! dont fuss about weight, once you get some nice rotors and pads you wont care about weight when you see how much faster you can stop your car!
and by how much faster, you mean zero?

Pads and rotors do not stop your car faster, they reduce break fade. You really aren't experiencing brake fade on public roads unless you are a friggin moron.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post

Pads and rotors do not stop your car faster, they reduce break fade. You really aren't experiencing brake fade on public roads unless you are a friggin moron.
what! how can you say that with slotted rotors and hawk hps pads your cars stock 60-0 brake time are not improved!!?
#7 Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

YELOWRX is an unknown
Here is the whole idea that stock rotors and pads are just as good as upgraded ones:

For just a second, forget all our cars have abs. When your out driving and some idiot cuts in front of you or someone goes into your lane, you just slam on the breaks (let the abs do the rest) while steering and trying not to hit anything. The stock setup without the abs has more than enough power to lock up the tires so its not a question of how big your rotors are or how sticky your pads are; the stock setup can already do the thing that takes the most force - lock up the tires (without abs).

So then I throw my new rotors and pads on; there is no improvement in stopping distance. The new setup can do exactly what the old one could only it can do it more efficiently in that I probably don't have to push as hard on the petal to lock up the tires, but nothing really noticeable in an emergency situation.

Now add back the abs and the same thing is true; both the stock system and any upgraded system have the power to kick in the abs and make the real stopping distance that would be measured.

The benefit of the larger rotors, calibers, and pads is that they are more efficient system. More efficient means less waisted energy. Less waisted energy means less heat. Less heat means they can work longer without losing any functionality.

So when your cruising around a track and breaking really hard like every 30 sec, your breaks keep slowing you down just as quickly or close to it. When doing normal everyday driving, you generally do not reach the point where the stock breaking system starts to increase your stopping distance.

With all of that being said, that was just the general idea of it. I am sure there are many people in the forum that can give much more accurate details into what happens when your breaks start to fail from being over-stressed. I created this thread to discuss light weight rotors that can fit on the stock WRX rims. If people want to discuss the reasons why you should or shouldn't upgrade their rotors please start another thread or read about the tons of info on the subject already in these forums.

I would love the know the weight of the stock rotors other than having to take them off and weigh them myself. I would also like any suggestions and weights on rotors that are lightweight and fit under the 02-03 stock rims.

Also another question, are the Eagle HP plus pads really worth the extra $$ over the HPS ones?

And if Ian ever reads this, on that link you gave above, were you referring to the 4000 or the 5000 series dba rotors?

Thanks - YELOWRX
#8 Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 AM

Garage
well said.

If you want to stop better, get better tires (or wider)

#9 Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Oh lord not this thread again!!!

Why upgrade your brakes?

#10 Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

ArmyWRX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ArmyWRX Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyWRX
ok man.... i have to correct you here.... skidding increases the stopping distance.... what after market brakes decrees brake fad and makes braking more consistent.... the only things you can do to drop your stopping DISTANCE is to put wider and sticker tires on the car as previously said and also to lighten up the rotating mass aka rims.... "Light Weight Rotors" wont do anything but warp faster.... there are more effective things to do to the car to make it stop faster....

If you make me look impress me....
#11 Old 07-14-2007, 12:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

koolpaul1082 is an unknown
very well said, i like reading threads where people actually know what they are talking about. but back to the original discussion, i dont understand why you would want to spend pointless $ to be honest, b/c a good quality oe fittament will do the job just as well as any other rotor in that same size. to be honest with you i see so many cars come in with crossdrilled and or slotted rotors that develop premature problems such as pitting,glazing, warping not to mention they can't be resurfaced. its just not worth the extra money for certain brake components unless your pushing huge power.
#12 Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post

But if they are bigger rotors and bigger calipers/pads, like the Brembos on the STI you will stop faster

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#13 Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

ArmyWRX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ArmyWRX Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyWRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
But if they are bigger rotors and bigger calipers/pads, like the Brembos on the STI you will stop faster
the reason that the STI stops better than the WRX is because of the rubber.... there tires are A LOT better than the stok rex

If you make me look impress me....
#14 Old 07-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
BAAAAAAAA! wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWRX
the reason that the STI stops better than the WRX is because of the rubber.... there tires are A LOT better than the stok rex
ding ding ding!!! (any they're 20mm wider)

#15 Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Read the thread I linked. All this is in there so we don't have to rehash it again.