Let's find me some tires - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Let's find me some tires

It's about time. My Pirelli PZero's are about shot. I think they only made it about 35k, but they were good tires. On a recent trip up to the mountain (snowboarding is awesome this year!) I got a slight leak in my back tire, drove on it for a bit, so it's time for new tires all the way around. Here's what I'm looking for:

Good all season tires, stick like glue when it's dry, wet, or icy. We get the full range of weather conditions out here. I'll probably get a set of studded tires on spare wheels next year, or I'll be lazy and just drive up the mountain with these new ones. Anyway, the final thing is NOISE! Holy crap it's loud in my car on the freeway, and it's dynamatted. I want way less road noise.

I checked into KDW's as I had them recommended, but the reviews said they were super noisy. Next I was looking into the Potenza RE960AS, but again I saw reviews that said they were fairly loud.

So tell me, what do you recommend from personal experience.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
you can't go wrong with the 960as's. They are not that loud.
I never would even consider loudness when buying tires, My exhaust and/or stereo is a lot louder than any tire is going to be.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #3 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm alone in my car like 80% of the time, so I don't care about it then. It's the other 20% when I have my wife or a group of friends that it's annoying. They have to yell into their cells and talk like we're all senior citizen's at each other. It's mildly irritating. Are you/have you used these tires?

-Brandon
post #4 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
you want all seasons? the KDW tires are summer only. You shouldn't use them in the snow. The all season version is the BFG Super Sport. They look very similar. Anyway, they're loud and stiff it's true but both are very good dry and wet.

The 960s are great tires but probably not as good as the super sports dry. In return you get more cushion and noise comfort. The biggest thing I didn't like with the 960s was turn in response. The KDW tires I have are much much sharper and I would wager the BFG super sport tires would still be better. The super sports are going to be a couple hundred cheaper too.

If you want cheap, get the continental all seasons, if you want to focus on dry get the super sports. If you want balance get the 960s. If you want something good, get summer/winters.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #5 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
it's kind of hard to find a good gripping tire and not expect noise.

i have the bridgestone potenzas re050s pole position and they are great in rain and dry. they do offer a good amount of lateral grip.

i know of alot of subbies around here that swear up and down on the bridgestone re-01r. they said they wont use anything else. will definetely be the performance your looking for

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #6 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Garage
Those are certainly not all season tires.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Alright, thanks guys. I'll probably be going with the 960AS then. It'll take me a while to price them out and get them, so feel free to keep throwing suggestions out.

-Brandon
post #8 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

CEGLEX is an unknown
FWIW from a super green noob, I just bought the Pole Position RE960AS tires, and they ride smoother and quieter than the (mixed) Kumho and Sumitomo tires that were on my car when I bought it a few weeks ago. The Potenzas are definitely not too loud IMO. In the massive ice and snow we have had in the last week, I have taken great pleasure in zipping around with confidence as others around me were barely able to move. The tires hold well in the snow and ice, only letting go if I gun it and am trying to slide/drift around on purpose. Again, I just got them, but so far, I am very happy.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Garage
You guys just aught to get two sets. There's nothing better than two sets.

post #10 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

CEGLEX is an unknown
Mosc - I totally appreciate your point (and experience/knowledge) about two sets summer/winter, and would do it if I could afford another set of wheels and tires. But with the funds I have, I would (currently) rather have the RE960ASes and use the remaining $ for some other stuff. Ultimately, in the future, I will go for two sets. But for the one set, all-season tire seeker, the RE960AS seems to be a fair option.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM

Garage
I hear ya CEGLEX and I respect your decision. I don't think the 960s are bad, they're just designed to do the impossible so they suffer for it. They're remarkably awesome considering all they're asked to do it's just that two tires make so much more sense to me.

Lets take your situation now though. You shelled out what? $170 a tire for 225/45/17 960s? What if you had just gotten some LM-25s instead? Then when summer rolled around bought some cheap rims and some decent summer rubber. I guess the outlay over those two purchases is larger but you have more tire life there. You'll be able to get several seasons out of that setup instead of less out of the 960s. It seems even if cost is the driving factor, the long term cost is less to get two sets.

post #12 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

CEGLEX is an unknown
Good points....
I paid $148 per tire (when you include all taxes, mounting, balancing, disposal fees, etc.). I appreciate and believe your point that in the long run the costs would be pretty much the same for two sets and wheels, and with better performance through the year. BUT - there is one more factor that I have - THE WIFE :eek: Ha ha, yes, throw any smart comments as you see fit, but I could never explain/rationalize to her two sets of wheels and tires. I am also a scuba diver, and A LOT of play money goes there too, so I have to stay under some semblance of control...
post #13 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I personally can afford two sets and love it. LM-25s are a way quieter than I ever expected a winter tire to be at highway speed. Like no noise unless i'm going over 65. I know baller doesn't like RE070s. But, mine are quiet and responsive enough for me. I know my LM-25s will not turn into a corner like my summers will. But, they're not made for that.

But, I greatly respect people's abilty to only buy all seasons in this state of economy we have right now.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

On_3_Go is an unknown
Has any one had experience with the Nitto Invo tire? They look pretty good. Could be an option
post #15 of 15 Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
yea turmic...

i do miss the massive shoulder blocks and the sidewall stiffness on those re070s. i thought their lateral grip was badass atleast when they had treadlife. mine only lasted about 24000 miles but they were a little rough as far daily driving.

yea mosc i forgot about that, i was focusing on the grip and overall street tire. i mean the re-01'rs are still good at treading water. i dont know how often it snows or ices up there in washington though

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement