Kumho & Sumitomo together - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

CEGLEX is an unknown
Kumho & Sumitomo together

Howdy Folks,
I checked some stickies and FAQs and I think I know the answer, but I hope you don't mind a direct question to confirm my specific situation. I just bought an 03 WRX (stock) with 69K on the odo. The previous owner traded it (for a Mercedes), so I didn't get to talk directly with them. My WRX has Sumitomo HTR+ on the front, Kumho Ecsta SPT on the rear. I know I need to measure the tread depth; on first glance they look fairly similar all around. Right now the car rides smooth and straight; alignment and balance feel GREAT. Am I in trouble to leave this mixed tire combination, risking differential damage, or am I ok as long as the tread depth is almost the same all around?

I am using the car as a daily driver, enjoying the performance, and need a good all-season tire for typical midwest weather: hot humid summers, heavy summer rains, fairly cold winters with occassional snows and ice.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CEGLEX; 01-26-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
This is bad. You want to fix this. The HTR+ are all season reversible tires. The SPTs are summer only directional tires. You don't want to mix tires intended for totally different purposes. They're going to wear differently, bend differently, and that means serious stress for your center differential. Center diff is a very expensive repair.

Cheapest option is to replace the SPTs with HTR+s and shave down the new ones to match the old ones. Personally though, I'd just junk all 4. They're garbage.

Your manual clearly states the need to have four matching tires all within 3/32 of an inch of each other. It also restricts use of the spare to a mere 50 miles to avoid differential stress. You are well out of the safety margin here.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

CEGLEX is an unknown
OK, I can get a new set of four new tires no problem. But are you saying that both these makes/models are junk? The reviews on Tire Rack seemed pretty good compared to other all-season tires, particularly for the Sumitomos. Since I am new to the WRX, I will drive it aggressively and enjoy the performance, but still it is a year-round daily driver, and I don't intend to have multiple sets of wheels/tires, nor will I race it. Is there another tire I should look at that meets my use?

Mosc - thanks again for the input. I read a little more on the FAQ and some other web research, and it seems that I shouldn't skimp on the tires. So unless I hear from others (anyone want to chime in?) with recommendations for all-season tires, I am going to buy a set of the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position units.

Last edited by mosc; 01-26-2009 at 11:00 PM.
#4 Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

CEGLEX is an unknown
I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post!

Last edited by mosc; 01-26-2009 at 11:00 PM.
#5 Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
First, I don't hate the SPTs. They cheap and do the job. I do hate the Sumitomo All Seasons though, I'm not sure what review you were reading, they're almost dead last on the total survey results:
Consumer Survey Results By Category
To be fair it shows them at 14th of 22 but if you remove a bunch of renamed crap Dunlop tires and a bunch of discontinued models (like the KDWS from BFG replaced with the super sports), they're pretty close to dead last.

I personally am not a fan of the all season solution. I prefer switching. There's nothing like a set of summer rubber handling wise. All Seasons basically give you the worst of both worlds, not the best. I reject the notion that a single all season tire is cheaper too. Decent winter tires are cheap and so are decent summer tires. Decent all seasons are expensive. You don't wear both sets at the same time keep in mind so if treadlifes are similar, you are not nessisarily incurring more cost. That, and a set of 17" rims can be had for $200 or less and changing tires yourself is simple. Also keeps you regular about rotating them at least every other season.

If you're sold on the all seasons, the bridgestones are one of the best. Their strengths are comfort and balance. They're decent in all categories. If you want something better dry, look at the super sports. If you want something better in the snow, look at the continentals. Course, compared to a dedicated summer, they are slow to dive into a corner and less sticky. Compared to a dedicated winter, they'll be stiff as a board in the cold and slide in more than a few inches. Still, the 960 is a great tire. It's better at being "all things" than any other.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD