Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Handling Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   It's time for a suspension upgrade. (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/its-time-suspension-upgrade-26824/)

baller_v24 08-04-2009 07:49 PM

It's time for a suspension upgrade.

I decided to get a loan just for the fun of it. Im about to spend about $1000 on my suspension. I decided to go with a somewhat aggressive setup since I do Auto X on occasion. I guess the only thing aggressive is my front swaybar. I decided to go with whiteline and kartboy parts based on the countless reviews I have read and their really good reputation.

Here is the list:

27mm Whiteline Adj. front swaybar
24mm Whiteline Adj. rear swaybar
Kartboy Front and Rear endlinks
Whiteline Steering rack bushings
Whiteline Rear Diff bushings
Kartboy Endlink Spacers (required when using whiteline swaybars with kartboy endlinks)

I should get my money transferred into my account tomorrow so I should be ordering everything then. Im getting a $4000 loan so who knows what else I might get.

Also considering the Stock sub/amp and Kartboy Pitch Stop mount.

Everything minus the sub and Pitch Stop mount is about $705 minus shipping. Let me know your thoughts/opinions/comments.!Thumbs Up:sneaky:

VisiX 08-04-2009 08:05 PM

I think your choices on parts are great. I have Whiteline sways and Kartboy Endlinks and I am very satisfied. The only bad part of your plan is the part where you take out a personal loan to buy car parts. :D

Is $705 minus shipping the same thing as $705 plus shipping?

baller_v24 08-04-2009 08:14 PM

Well I got the loan because I want to work on improving my credit since I bought my car cash and haven't had a car payment in almost 2 years. I used my title as collateral. Dont worry I have over $4500 in savings just in case, not to mention i got the debt protection insurance with my loan. It really is just to buy a bunch of goodies and what not oh and books for school, some more in savings and T.V. and who knows what else.

Well im buying the swaybars from CVRmotorsports.com and the rest from fastwrx.com. I know cvrmotorsports will be free shipping. Not sure on shipping from fastwrx.com. Im sure there is a shipping charge. I just added everything in the cart to see total before shipping.

c2bcoolwrx 08-04-2009 11:57 PM

The 27mm Sway up front may be a little overkill/too firm for a autoXer/DDer. IMHO a 24mm adj. would probably be better for your purposes.

VisiX 08-05-2009 10:10 AM

[quote=baller_v24;227967]Well I got the loan because I want to work on improving my credit since I bought my car cash and haven't had a car payment in almost 2 years. I used my title as collateral. Dont worry I have over $4500 in savings just in case, not to mention i got the debt protection insurance with my loan. It really is just to buy a bunch of goodies and what not oh and books for school, some more in savings and T.V. and who knows what else.

Well im buying the swaybars from CVRmotorsports.com and the rest from fastwrx.com. I know cvrmotorsports will be free shipping. Not sure on shipping from fastwrx.com. Im sure there is a shipping charge. I just added everything in the cart to see total before shipping.[/quote]

I know what you mean about the credit. I just got a new credit card and started charging all of my daily purchases to build up my credit more even though I have $35,000 in my savings account. When I refinanced my house last month the bank gave me copies of the credit reports they pulled on me and a few came back with an "insufficient history for recommendation" message which is weird because I own a house, have school loans, have two car payments, insurance, utilities, etc.

I hope you plan on contacting someone at CVR directly. John quoted me about 17% less than their website prices when I messaged them for a package deal, I also got them to give me free shipping and waive the new york state taxes. I bought Whiteline 22mm F/R adjustable ($170ea) Sways and Kartboy F/R Endlinks ($115ea) for $469 (normal website price $570 + $50 in taxes). That is $150 more in my pocket after purchase. None of the other vendors I contacted quoted below $500. Technically I owe the state $50, we'll see if I remember to claim that on my taxes...

Also, I installed these parts without endlink spacers.

baller_v24 08-05-2009 10:28 AM

Nice visix. I guess I will be making some contacts. I think they are a vendor on nasioc if im not mistaken.

c2bcoolwrx: yea I'm a little skeptical about the 27mm front swaybar as well but There are a ton of people on nasioc and on iwsti with that setup and have nothing but good things to say. I like my suspension all tight and stiff so I'm thinking I'll be ok.

Im going to keep it on the 25mm setting up front for daily driving purposes.

Well the endlink spacers are only $2 and it's to keep the clunking down. Is your front bar a little noisy?

pzr2874 08-05-2009 11:45 AM

I say get a set of coilovers and call it a day.....

Then you can always buy the other stuff little by little.

VisiX 08-05-2009 12:00 PM

The only extra road noise I have noticed is that I get louder than normal suspension clunking when driving on very rough roads or constructions zones with grooved pavement and hard drops. In that situation I'm not really worried about the extra noise. I have no clunking noises during normal or spirited driving on smooth surfaces, I usually listen to talk radio so I can hear the car fairly well. My Endlinks are at an angle though, (I've read this really isn't a big deal) so if that bothers you and you can afford the spacers then by all means pick them up. I don't have anyone looking under my car so there isn't much motivation for me to care what the suspension looks like.

Also, just an FYI, the bolts for the brackets that hold the sways in place were very stuck on my car. The subframe bolts were also very tight. It might save you a lot of time and effort to spray some PB on all the bolts you'll be removing a couple times in the days/hours before you perform the installation. I live in central new york and drive my car all winter so this might be a problem specific to my environment, that said it can't hurt. It took me 5 hours to do my front bar (only sprayed PB about an hour before install). I waited a couple days to do the back and sprayed the bolts twice a day and the whole back installation took me 45 minutes to do by myself.

CVR is on Nasioc and they usually return my PMs very quickly even at night and on weekends. Just PM "CVR Motorsports" and tell them the parts you want (you can get part numbers off their website to avoid confusion). They'll make a package specifically for you on their site with your price and send you a link so you can buy through their normal checkout process instead of having to use PayPal like most others.

mosc 08-05-2009 12:18 PM

Your list looks good. Stick with the 27mm front bar. The DCCD and a few extra ponies more than fixes the understeer IMHO. WRX guys tend to worry more about it than STi folks.

Yay for a suspension upgrade without lowering springs!

baller_v24 08-05-2009 12:18 PM

Yea I will def use some PB on the bolts. I heard those are the hardest to take off. I do have a cheater bar so it might help. Well I did contact John at CVRmotorsports and he put the endlinks and swaybars together as a package deal and got me $50 off than the cheapest I could find online.

Already ordered. Cant wait to try them out and do a review of the different settings.

PZR 2874. I would rather buy more parts to stiffen up everything than to just do coilovers right now. I probably will do springs as this is still my daily driver and I just think coilovers is over the top for daily driver or 3/4 autocross events a year. I haven't completely ruled them out for future use but as for right now I would rather tighten up other aspects of my suspension/driveline.

mosc 08-05-2009 12:21 PM

Also I agree on the credit report stuff. You need structured loans, even if you have plenty of cash. Especially with a good payment history, it's really a plus.

pzr2874 08-05-2009 12:48 PM

I understand on the stiffness, but you also have to consider "learning" how to drive your car once you get it all on.

I've always used the rule : Do a piece at a time till you are satisfied

Everyone drives a little different and expects a little more/less.

But, to each their own.... :rocks:

Modena1230 08-05-2009 06:12 PM

I look foward to your review especialy the rear diff bushings.

baller_v24 08-09-2009 12:54 AM

Well the fedex guy came today while I was at work and left a note saying that it was the first attempt to deliver it so no parts yet. Even if I get them in a couple of days or so, it might be hard to install them in the near future.

Turns out i broke my ribs. I broke them last sunday while playing sand volleyball by the pool. It had rained all week and the sand got compacted like a real stiff dirt mound and well i did a diving dig to save the ball and crack. It had been painful all week just didnt wanna believe they were broke. I tend to have a somewhat high tolerance for pain which is why i went a whole week without any pain killers or anything. It just got really unbearable today at work and had to leave early to go to the doc.

It's embarrasing it was volleyball and not something manly or something. lol. Anyways I will keep u guys updated as soon as i install them. Definetely dont wanna pay for someone to install them, so I hate to keep you waiting for the review but it might be a while till i can do a review for you guys that are interested.

newtothegame 08-09-2009 11:05 AM

That sux man. I have been in a similar situation before. Hope they heal up quick for you and you catch the fedex guy. Good luck with the install and all.