Subaru WRX Forum banner

If you had 5k to tune the chassis and suspension...

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Virgil072 
#1 ·
Well, here we go, this is what I have assembled so far. Once I get the car I am allowing myself 5k to focus mainly on the suspension and brakes... this is what I have so far.

Stoptech front and rear SS brake lines
Ferrado DS2500 pads
Cusco 22mm Front Swaybar
Cusco 22mm Rear Swaybar
Cusco Front Strut Bar (CF)
Cusco Rear Strut Bar (Tri-point)
Cusco Center Center Power Brace
Cusco Lower Rear Power Brace
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit

I want Volk TE37's but 740 bucks a pop is hard to swallow, I like the enkei NT03's and are looking for OZ wheels like them (I remember a particular pattern that was found on older rally cars but not sure if they still make them).

Coilovers is something im throwing back and forth but my main choice will be cusco more then likely. I have seen the workmanship on thier products and have been impressed in the past. I want the suspension squared away before I get in to the engine and to be honest im staying fairly mild with the engine bolt ons for now (ie Cobb Stage 2 w/ Intake and heat shield box). After that its stuff to increase engine effieciency (better plugs, radiator seperator, pulleys, and an APS top mount intercooler).

Let me what you think and no, im very open to constructive critics. Car suspensions are something im new to tuning hands on, bikes are more were my experiance area is.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a bad setup. There are several gurus on this subject and will chime in im sure. I really dont know how big a difference the strut bars make. I havent seen too many people running them. Cusco is a great company. As far as the coilovers go, are you wanted to track the car one and awhile, or just for the drop? Most will say that if you just want it lowered a good spring/strut combo is the way to go. Also read up on the pulleys, not really a must or need or the car, just depends on what you are looking for. I feel your pain on the TE37s, been in love with them for years myself, still cant bring myself to get them though. Oh, also, an intake isnt really necessary for the car, stock is pretty efficient for the 02-07 models, and a TMIC or FMIC wont really net you much without a tune (which the AP doesnt compenate for). Hope that helped, some, others will chime in also.

#3 ·
you need sway bar end links and what year is your car?? if its 02 you should have a 20mm rear..if thats the case just add a 22mm front and end links all the way around...get coil overs, springs and struts are for people that cant afford coil overs, looks like you can afford them...

#5 ·
I say skip the coilovers unless you are gonna track it. Go with Koni inserts and the springs of your choice.

Don't forget to add the endlinks to go with your swaybars.

Along with adding diff bushings like mosc suggested I would upgrade the motor and tranny mounts, and the pitch stop as well. that will take all the extra motion out of your drivetrain. Shifter bushings would go a long way too.

#8 ·
Energy Suspension master bushing kit
steering rack bushings
I have these two already installed. I went with the Whiteline steering rack bushings. Took roughly a half hour once the car was up. The ES bushing kit on the other hand. . . well, might want to give yourself plenty of time and familiarize yourself with the use of a pneumatic press.

Depending on what you are doing with the car, I'd suggest a larger rear sway bar. Personally, I'm going with Whiteline 27mm rear and Whiteline 24mm front. With the size I'm planning on running, that means upgraded rear mounts as well as endlinks. Suspension, well that's entirely up to you and, if you are racing, the governing body. Recently I was accepted to the Vorshlag Test Pilot Program so that's where I'm getting my suspension. Just have to decide if I want to go with inverted struts, inverted struts with a remote resevoir, or standard struts. Regardless of which one I go with, they will have to be custom valved for rally and need to figure out what springs I will need.

#7 ·
Well, if you are doing all of this, I will assume you want to track it, so maybe a Cusco bolt in cage? WIll stiffen her up a little, and give you a nice harness bar to boot ;)
How about trailing arms and camber bolts? THe bolts are no big deal but offer a lot more adjustment than stock.

But yeah swaybars and endlinks a definite must, without them, you will still be driving an understeering wet sponge. I have been using whiteline sway bars and endlinks and love them.

#9 ·
Rear end links and bushings are something I will need and they are already going on my list (I knew I was forgeting something), I plan on autocrossing/weekend tracking the car so yes the suspension will be race stiff (I ride a sportbike year round as of now so stiffness in terms of comfort is not a problem for me, surviving the winter is enough ;P). Shifter bushings will be taken care of by Kartboy. Had experiance with thier stuff in the past and love them.

Im shooting for an 04-05 STi (deployed overseas right now so most of this is speculative). i will be finding myself a one when i get back, had that goal since I left high school and i will finally be in a position to act on my goals.

I was wondering about the whiteline swaybars vs. the cusco and I think i understand the differance. I know the japanese tuners tend to be on the stiffer spring side due to the differance in thier roads (smooth vs. US pot holes) and that might be why thier engineers dont see the need for larger diameter swaybars because they compensate with much stiffer spring rates then americans typically use. Thats just my observation, more of an educated guess then anything but I could be completely off.

The cage is an option but if I wish to mount harness's I will just use sparco's mounting bar. Im not to interested in the cage simply due to the fact that because its bolt on that means holes will be drilled, which means water will get in and around Kansas they salt the roads heavily. The braces will take care of the chassis's stiffness for now. Just have to figure out which ones will work. Im liking GT Spec's front sub frame and mid brace set more and more.

#11 ·
If you're going to track the thing, you might want to track down an 05 STi instead of an 04 STi... the 05 STi's suspension handles wider tires better. The 04 STi's suspension is more like a stiffer WRX.

#12 ·
I say roll cage because of the need for it in certain circumstances, I.E. Club Racing, which I have to have one to do. I added it there because it will stiffen the structure SOME. I am not saying that it is must have SUSPENSION part, it is about safety. And he can put in a lot of work with 5k. I alotted around the same amount, and I have one for track use.

About the Whiteline vs. Cusco, I haved enjoyed my Whitelines, but they did have a bad run of sway bars a little bit ago and some are still in circulation, they cause the bars to rub. That is one of the only negative things I have ever heard about them. However, WHiteline is replacing these if you get your hands on a bad bar.

#13 ·
Alrighty...

And yes, I know a cage's original intent is for safety. I dont want one that goes past the A pillars, just something that outlines the B pillers with a horizontal bar across the center for harness's and a cross bar running diagnoally and two support bars on the bottom. Make it a pain for passengers to get in and out but screw it. And I was shooting for an 05... it just sucks sitting here knowing I have 10 months to go.

#14 ·
I say check out the Cobb sway bars, 25.4mm front and rear with the stout mounts. Endlinks of course. Ohlins fixed perch struts paired with RCE springs and camber/castor plates. Full bushing set. Performance alignment. OZ racing wheels to save a little money off your prefered wheel to pay for kick ass tires that only last 1000 mile on the street. Forget the strut braces. You will already have brembos so invest in some two piece slotted rotors and pads of you choice. HHMMMMMM.....What else. It seems hard to spend all of your money. I could list parts for my 02 WRX that would surpass 5K but you already have a lot of good parts if you get an STi.

#15 ·
1000 miles on the street doesnt get you far, especially when your doing with kansas back and forth (its one hour to the nearest large city, 2 and half to KCI which is the nearest Scooby shop). You get a lot of choice parts for the STi, that is true, however it still has the understeer I want to cure. Im narrowing down my list, but cut me some slack, why do you think im sticking to suspension and chassis first? Because I know were the money is made in a car and its not always the engine. Power wise im sticking with a Cobb intake, turbo back exhaust and stage 2 accessport map. I have a Power Commander on my bike and they seem to work almost the same way. That will bring me up to my speed standards w/o getting to balls deep in the engine.... yet.

Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
Whiteline 27mm Rear Sway
Whiteline 24mm Front Sway
Perrin Rear End Links
Rear Diff Bushings
Steering Rack Bushings
Cusco Front Strut Bar
Cusco Rear Strut Bar (Tri-point)
Stoptech SS Front/Rear Brake Lines
Ferrado DS2500 Front/Rear Brake Pads (leaving roters alone)

Volk racing stuff is great but far to expensive. Im not sure how much OZ rally wheels are (the 18's) but I know they look excellent... Wonder how much the Superturismo WRC's are (the nice set will be for summer/spring, BBS wheels will have winter/fall tires mounted).

BTW seanwrxwagon; I love the 02's thought about getting one and doing an STi swap simply to have those rally head lights. Of all the subaru rally cars, that chassis and the GC8 are my favorites. Much more character then the later cars, I just cant ignore the tuning prowess of the STi. Speaking of off topic... ;) Look up Four Star Motorsports, they have one of the coolest and most detailed Bug eyes I have ever seen.

BTW guys, hows GT spec for chassis braces? Im on the fence between Cusco and GT spec. Still debating the coilovers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.