how many miles on stock tires - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Z/WRX is an unknown
how many miles on stock tires

Just wondering how many miles people got off the stock tires? My 06 only has 16k on it and already the tires are showing signs of very little traction when pushed. Mind you I do have a little fun when I take turns and such but even with spirited driving I wouldn't expect my tires to only last 20k miles (about where I'm thinking I'll have to replace them). Just wondering what others got out of their stock tires.

77 280z, 84 300zx, 06 WRX TR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2008, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rug-Emporium is an unknown
I got 22.2k miles on mine but I had to replace them early because of sidewall damage. The shop said that they were getting a bit worn even though I don't drive like crazy, just some spirited driving now and then.
#3 Old 03-30-2008, 05:25 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I chucked mine long before they reached tread death due to being utter pieces of crap I couldn't stand to have on the car any longer...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
I have 24k on mine and are just fine, probably be good for another 5-10k.

12.7 @ 109
#5 Old 03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
mine are @22700 but on the re070s but long due for new tires. maybe ill quit procrastinating soon and get them in a week or 2.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#6 Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Mosc, do you autoX or anything ? Just regular day-2-day ? What kind of tires ? Do you like them better than the g-force kdw's ??

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse, but I have about 12,500 miles on my RE-92's and they still look like new... thinking the latter

John
07 WRX
#8 Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
The stock tires on the WRX are not known for good grip.

You'll be amazed how much better the car is when you replace those terrible tires.
#9 Old 03-31-2008, 12:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

mr04wrx is more helpful than not
So the stock tires pushed really bad, and the tail kicked out in the wet. But I just replaced mine after 4 years and 50XXX miles of snow, rain, and dry pavement. Oh yeah, a little gravel and dirt driving in there as well.
#10 Old 03-31-2008, 01:11 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Mosc, do you autoX or anything ? Just regular day-2-day ? What kind of tires ? Do you like them better than the g-force kdw's ??
You don't need to be on a racetrack to see how bad RE92s suck. I think the KDW2s are great if you want a dry/rain tire. I was very concerned (probably overly) with having better rain grip than stock despite adding 10% more tire width and a lot less sidewall. The KDW2s are exceptional in the rain. That and they're pretty good tread life for a high performance dry. I like the GS-D3s a bit more but they're a lot more money.

I think a lot of the "max performance" or whatever they get called now (basically BFG KD and equivalent) are really not good for daily use. Their wet tractions are all pretty poor.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
"Eagle F1 GS-D3"s are simply fantastic! Got mine to last at approx 45k miles with consistent spirited driving (and I've finally proved to myself that attentive tire pressure monitoring can do a lot to extend tire life).

I just put a set of "Eagle F1 All Season"s on last week...I really am missing the aggressive v-shape tread design of my GS-D3 tires, it gave my WRX a lot of character...

As for the stock tires, I just couldn't accept them rolling over onto the sidewalls any longer, even when pushing the psi to "higher than normal" levels.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#12 Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You don't need to be on a racetrack to see how bad RE92s suck. I think the KDW2s are great if you want a dry/rain tire. I was very concerned (probably overly) with having better rain grip than stock despite adding 10% more tire width and a lot less sidewall. The KDW2s are exceptional in the rain. That and they're pretty good tread life for a high performance dry. I like the GS-D3s a bit more but they're a lot more money.

I think a lot of the "max performance" or whatever they get called now (basically BFG KD and equivalent) are really not good for daily use. Their wet tractions are all pretty poor.
Very much agree. Most of those Max perf tires are not good in the wet. Not a safe choice for a DD unless you live in the desert or somewhere else with very little rainfall.

I have KDW2s and find hem very good in dry and wet. No complaints from me. I've always found BFGs to wear very well.
#13 Old 06-22-2008, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
I couldn't stand to have them on past 12000mi. They weren't just lame tires,they were dangerous. I feared for my life riding on those pieces of crap! Somone should have filed a class action law suit!!!

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#14 Old 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
I think I got around 25K on the stock tires. But, that was pushing it. Then I went to Yokohama Avid V4S also on the stock rims and got about 28K and that was pushing it. The Yoks were reated for 50k but the way I drive that was not gonna happen. Oh the V4S handled like crap once a little wear started to set in.

Since then I have upgraded and been running Bridgstone Potenza REO1Rs 225/45-17 on some OZ utraleggras. Even though these tires are not known for there wear I think they are actually doing better than my previous 2, as they are much more suited to my aggressive driving style. I have gone almost 10K and there is not much wear to speak of. By far the best tires I have ever owned in my 10 years plus of driving, grip for days.

The stock tires the 02-05 WRXs came with should be a crime, along with the dinky 6.5' width 16s. 205 width tires just don't cut it on our cars.