Subaru WRX Forum banner

HELP! Steering problems

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hytzh8r 
#1 ·
My '04 WRX has steering issues for 1 month now. The power steering "cuts-in and out" while driving. I thought I had a bad power steering pump, so I replaced it. That was not the problem because it's still doing it. I've been studying the ALLData steering diagrams, trying to figure out how the steering is setup and what might be the possible problem. There's a control valve that seems to control fluid to all the necessary parts. Could this be bad? Also, the parts stores lists a power steering filter available. Where does that go? Could it just be my filter is clogged? My car has right at 80k miles on it now.
Has anyone had this problem? Again, the symptom: Steering tightens and loosens from side-to-side while driving. This is starting to get annoying. and I'm sure it's not safe either, as my wheel doesn't always straighten itself out after a turn.
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks.

#2 ·
If there is speed sensitive power steering, then a proportioning system could be failing. But I didn't think the 04s had adaptable power steering. Sorry, someone with more 04 experience needs to help you.

#3 ·
Well for starters, have you looked at all your power steering lines, and your fluid? Also try looking underneath to see if anything is rubbing up against the steering rack or what not. Check all your suspension components that are located in the front of the car as well.

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I've had it up on a rack and couldn't see anything visiblly wrong. There doesn't seem to be any water mixed in with the steering fluid, either. I'll pull it back up on the lift anf check everything over again, but if anybody else has anything to add, please let me know.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.