Subaru WRX Forum banner

help with coilovers

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
tomorrow i am buying helix dna coil overs for my 2004 sti. i am new to the whole suspension thing, so i was thinking is the coilover a basic drop in. as in take the spring and strut out, and put the coil over in its place. or is their a cretin bushing or mount i will need to buy separately. also form what i understand is that the coil over comes set from the factory for stock ride height. if their is anything i need to know before putting them in that you know, let me know that would be great.

#9 ·
today i received them in the mail it came with the coil overs / instructions / an brochure on how to adjust them / and of course a Megan racing sticker, (so i could finally become a ricer). any way here are three pictures of them. will install them on the weekend, and let you guys know how it goes. also i think i should get an aliment, but should i do it myself or go to a dealership? i don't know why the photos are blurry but what ever.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have a set of Megan Track series, and as far as these VS the Helix DNA's, they are made at the same plant, a taiwanese company called Bor Chuann, who makes helix and some Apexi models as well. I have not installed the coilovers yet as I have another month left in Iraq and they are in a garage at my buddy's house, but keep us posted by all means as any info is good info on this matter. Everyone always asks about Megan, but no one seems to answer, I have used quite a few Megan products and have NEVER been dissapointed.

Top shelf.

#11 ·
day one of opperation coilovers
didn't go as planned went to take the wheels off 2 wheel locks broke in half, and the key striped off so spent the whole day at the shop getting them off. 6 hours later, and 50 dollars later i had lug nuts on and locks off.:) went home by that time the temp outside was 25 i got the back end apart, and couldn't feel my hands, it was dark, so i will pick it up tomorrow. just another day working on the scooby.

#14 ·
day two of the coil overs.
went great, i am not that good at turning wrenches but i have pittance, and common sense, also good friends. it took about 5 hours to put all 4 it. some info of the install, was easy, but time consuming. the three top mounts, and the two bottom mounts. easy, if you would pay for someone to do this, it would be a bad idea. i compared the old stocks to the megans are shorter, so the car is a little lower(will post pics tomorrow). the ride is a little on the rougher side. it holds awesome on the road, no roll through the corners. it felt a little smoother compared the the shot stock struts. to sum it up it has been the best 900 dollars i have ever spent, handles good for daily driver, and racing. cheap, easy to install. i love them through the corners. if anyone has any questions let me know.
nj kiter

#16 ·
Dang, these forums are a bad influence. The more and more i read about coilovers and reading real reviews its making me feel even more negative on just springs. I have been that route once and it kills the comfort. Mosc what do you dislike most about your springs? Im about to say screw the agressive look and stance and just buy the STi pinks atleast then i know my ride wont be so uncomfortable. Coilovers would be sweet though, just spending that kind of money on suspension when my car just hit 4k is a tough pill to swallow.

#17 ·
The hidden cost in coilovers is that they ware out far quicker than a normal strut, keep that in mind. They're going to be much more expensive to run if you do more than drive on the weekends with your car.

I basically concluded my problem was not my springs at all really, it was my rear diff bushings. I swapped them out recently and it was night and day. Thing doesn't shake like it used to when you hit a bump. Also, I'm running 17" rims for the winter and thinking about swapping out my summer 18"s since they're a much nicer ride. BTW, the bushings were $40 retail and required removing all of 4 bolts + some wiggling.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f97/rear-diff-bushings-tic-24735/#post209237

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.