Hawk HPS Brake Pads: Advice - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Hawk HPS Brake Pads: Advice

I'm getting ready to replace my brake pads and rotors (will be using OEM rotors).

Read a lot of great things about these pads but have also read negatives such as: quite a lot more dust than OEM, tend to be very noisy (dry or wet conditions), significantly put more wear/warping on rotors and take a while to warm up.

Any advice on the pros and cons, as well as using them with stock rotors and calipers will be greatly appreciated!

Also I just need them for street use, won't be doing any track runs.

Last edited by bmoney; 03-09-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
I put these on my car about 2-3 months ago and love am. A LOT less brake dust. There are quite a few people on here that use them and love them. Pads are an easy job.

12.7 @ 109
post #3 of 13 Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I've experienced more dust, but it's hard to tell. Didn't have much issue with increased noise. Usually use disk brake quiet on the backings of the pad. I don't see how pads could significantly increase warping on rotors, especially on non-track conditions.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #4 of 13 Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanoside View Post
I put these on my car about 2-3 months ago and love am. A LOT less brake dust. There are quite a few people on here that use them and love them. Pads are an easy job.
Most of the complaints I've read are the break dust and noise, but those have all been on other cars. I've been trying to find feedback from people who actually have them on their WRX. So great to hear you like them!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
I've experienced more dust, but it's hard to tell. Didn't have much issue with increased noise. Usually use disk brake quiet on the backings of the pad. I don't see how pads could significantly increase warping on rotors, especially on non-track conditions.
I don't see either, that's why I wondering if anyone has heard of that or has had that happen to them with the HPS pads.

Thanks for the input vew! Appreciate it!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
In my experience, the HPS pads put out less dust and noise than stock pads. HPS brake dust is actually pink. Many people attribute normal grime to brake dust but that's not the case. I've never seen somebody's wheels peppered pink and HPS pads are widely used so I'd say any dust issues with those pads are over-stated. Hawk makes a lot more capable pads that are going to be dusty and loud but HPS pads are pretty tame. You should be fine.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #7 of 13 Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
In my experience, the HPS pads put out less dust and noise than stock pads. HPS brake dust is actually pink. Many people attribute normal grime to brake dust but that's not the case. I've never seen somebody's wheels peppered pink and HPS pads are widely used so I'd say any dust issues with those pads are over-stated. Hawk makes a lot more capable pads that are going to be dusty and loud but HPS pads are pretty tame. You should be fine.
That actually explains a lot.. The redish/orangish dust on my wheels show up really well on my black finish of my rims.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #8 of 13 Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
not to mention the brembo pads are different than the wrx pads. mosc and z noticed less dust than the stock brembo pads, maybe it's an sti thing.

i know i see quite a bit of brake dust from the stock brembo pads. then again the inner portion of my wheels are black.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #9 of 13 Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
I have HPS at all 4 corners. I find they have a great deal more dusting than stock. The dust is definitely black. I wax my wheels(the gold Rotas) and they are darker in appearance after about 1 month or so. With the wax job I can wipe the dust off with a rag easily. I too tried to apply ample anti sqeek (provided with the pads by Hawk) andthey are not too noisey.

The Hawk STI pads must be very different compound from the Hawk WRX replacement. I seem to remember them being a charcoal or dark grey color when I installed.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys... I really appreciate it.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

sailpuff322 is an unknown
In my experience, the hawk pads put out significantly less dust than the Brembo pads, Brembo is notorious for putting out a lot of dust because they are softer pads, but that's part of what makes them so good. I have always heard awesome things about Hawk pads especially for running on the street, the only thing is you have to make sure you set them properly right off the bat per the instructions, or you can run into issues
post #12 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
looks like I'm going to go ahead and go with the hawks. thanks again guys!
post #13 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I have Hawks on my fronts and I would say I see the same amount of dust, and a bit of a squeak when I start to touch the brake pedal. I think they grab only marginally better than stock pads, when you really get on your brake pedal.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement