Got my 2014 WRX Limited - day one - Subaru WRX Forum
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 19
dukefist is an unknown
Got my 2014 WRX Limited - day one

Just got my 2014 WRX limited w/nav,,, and compared to my 2006 BMW 325xi I was driving,, the brakes suck. It snowed here in NJ other day,, and I'm disappointed at the comparison of the WRX in a few areas compared to the 2006 BMW:

- Handling: I guess the WRX has summer tires,, it didn't feel as 'heavy' on the snow/icey roads. Obviously the BMW is heavier,, but that thing handling great. The WRX wasn't that bad,, but BMW won

- Brakes: The WRX brakes just sux. The way the ABS locked up on snow covered roads compared to the 06 BMW didn't even compare. The 7 year old BMW had great stopping power compared to WRX imo.

- Interior: WRX def a 'no frills',,, doors are very 'light' and interior seems to have no sound dampening under the carpet as the BMW did.

- Bluetooth: My bluetooth disconnected and re-connected 5 times during one phone call! I hope it was maybe the phonebook or messages transferring. I'll be pissed if the damn bluetooth keeps during that. I'm always on the phone for work in my car.

Any rec's on improving the brakes?

Does sound deadening the interior really make a difference?

Last edited by dukefist; 01-24-2014 at 08:30 AM.
dukefist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Premium Member
 
arewmors's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 676
arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
The WRX is not luxury sedan. How can you compare the handling of a car with straight summer tires on it in the snow/ice to another car? If you have summer tires on, then your stopping power in the snow/ice will not be good and the abs will kick on more frequently. The breaks are not brembos, but they certainly get the job done. If you are looking for better maybe upgrade the pads on them. Most people that have a WRX enjoy the sounds that the car is putting out. Did you not test drive one of these before you purchased it? I'm not trying to be a complete a$$hat.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
arewmors is offline  
#3 Old 01-23-2014, 05:52 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 19
dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
The WRX is not luxury sedan. How can you compare the handling of a car with straight summer tires on it in the snow/ice to another car? If you have summer tires on, then your stopping power in the snow/ice will not be good and the abs will kick on more frequently. The breaks are not brembos, but they certainly get the job done. If you are looking for better maybe upgrade the pads on them. Most people that have a WRX enjoy the sounds that the car is putting out. Did you not test drive one of these before you purchased it? I'm not trying to be a complete a$$hat.
Yes I know it's not a luxury sedan,,

Thought brakes would be a little better than what I've felt.

I'm assuming there are summer tires,,, I didn't even get a chance to look at them yet,,

I understand people enjoy the sounds, I'd rather have quiet,, personal choice.

My first impression in comparing a 7 year old AWD BMW and WRX in snow conditions,,, BMW wins. I understand the summer tires play a big part,,, but the way both handled,, I'd say even with all-weather tires on the WRX,, the BMW was better in the snow.

Yes I did test drive,,, but not in the sh!tty snow/ice....

Your not an @sshat,,, just highly sensitive to people's opinions... jk
dukefist is offline  
#4 Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 AM
Premium Member
 
arewmors's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 676
arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Not really sensitive, I just didn't get how your opinions were formed. I get it now. Good luck with your summer tires in the snow.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
arewmors is offline  
#5 Old 01-23-2014, 06:28 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,077
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you don't like the car then sell it. Go buy another BMW.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is offline  
#6 Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,355
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You're driving on summer tires. In temperatures in the teens. Why even bother trying to make a judgement in handling?
brfatal is offline  
#7 Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Premium Member
 
Nathan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 550
Images: 7
Nathan21 is an unknown
1: why but the car when it seems like you have never even test driven one.

2: I've driven a 2007 325i and 2006 335I twin turbo and the wrx and Sti even older years are way better breaks included

3: you don't buy a wrx or Sti if you want "a quite" car

4: if you are this disappointed, just like Keith said, sell the car and go back to bmw
Cosmo_kraemer likes this.

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
Nathan21 is offline  
#8 Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Premium Member
 
arewmors's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 676
arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Nathan, FYI, he did test drive one, post #3. FOL

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
arewmors is offline  
#9 Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
arcticscythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 377
arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Duke,

I took my 13 WRX up to yosemite last weekend and gave her some snow/ice and she handled it really well.

If your rolling on factory tires I would swap those out asap for cold weather. the factory Dunlop rubber is acceptable for temperate weather but leaves a bit to be desired in cold weather.

As for the sounds of the engine and road thats what separates the subaru community from the rest of the world, we take pride in our horizontally opposed turbo charged sound and I personally wouldn't trade it for the world. If you are looking for a quieter ride dynamat makes some sound proofing materials and any audio shop can install it for you.

/IT Guy/ what type of phone are you using? I spent 6 years working for Geek Squad and ive handled a ton of "my car wont work with my phone" kinds of issues, usually they are handled by allowing the car to access the phone, If your using an android phone it leaves the request in the notifications panel and it wont run correctly until you give the car permission. If it still wont hold a connection i would bring the car back to subaru and ask them to repalce the BT receiver on the head unit, almost all the parts in those NAVI units are made in chinese sweatshops and every now and then small parts fail. /IT guy/

If your not a fan thats ok, I'm sure there is someone out there who would love to drive a lightly used Subi : )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
arcticscythe is offline  
#10 Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Vendor

 
PROImportTuners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 220
PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Like most have said: I'm sure winter tires will greatly improve your impressions about how the car handles in snow.

With stock all-season or summer tires in those conditions you really can't expect it to handle like a rally car.

Using the correct tires will also greatly improve stopping performance. Breaks are really limited by the amount of grip the tires offer. When the wheel speed sensors detect tire slip the ABS module will modulate pressure to try and prevent a skid. If your tires are slipping easily on snow it makes sense that the ABS module will pulsate frequently.

There is pretty minimal sound deadening I definitely agree with that. But since they are trying to keep the cars as light as possible these days for fuel economy reasons I think the engineers are probably pretty limited in the amount and types of sound isolation they can use.

The nice thing about the WRX vs the BMW is that almost all the issues you addressed are areas that can easily and cheaply be improved on. Tires, Brakes and sound deadening are are pretty inexpensive mods that you can do and improve your driving experience to suit your taste.


PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
PROImportTuners is offline  
#11 Old 01-24-2014, 03:42 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 19
dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
Duke,

I took my 13 WRX up to yosemite last weekend and gave her some snow/ice and she handled it really well.

If your rolling on factory tires I would swap those out asap for cold weather. the factory Dunlop rubber is acceptable for temperate weather but leaves a bit to be desired in cold weather.

As for the sounds of the engine and road thats what separates the subaru community from the rest of the world, we take pride in our horizontally opposed turbo charged sound and I personally wouldn't trade it for the world. If you are looking for a quieter ride dynamat makes some sound proofing materials and any audio shop can install it for you.

/IT Guy/ what type of phone are you using? I spent 6 years working for Geek Squad and ive handled a ton of "my car wont work with my phone" kinds of issues, usually they are handled by allowing the car to access the phone, If your using an android phone it leaves the request in the notifications panel and it wont run correctly until you give the car permission. If it still wont hold a connection i would bring the car back to subaru and ask them to repalce the BT receiver on the head unit, almost all the parts in those NAVI units are made in chinese sweatshops and every now and then small parts fail. /IT guy/

If your not a fan thats ok, I'm sure there is someone out there who would love to drive a lightly used Subi : )
Thanks for the intelligent feedback.

- I knew the summer tires would be an issue,,, but as you mentioned, factoring in the extreme cold,,, makes for poor performance. Which also plays into the braking issue. Noted..

- I only mind the interior noise as I am on the phone a lot for work during my drives

- I'd say I'm very tech saavy. The BT connects,,, works fine,, and then drops and re-connects about 5 times during a call. I'm going to try the set-up via voice command. Heard that may help. Otherwise I appreciate the input about the BT receiver replacement.

- Not selling it. Was just disappointed at the initial drive. Was 5 inches of snow/ice on ground and jumped back and forth from BMW to WRX. BMW sold now. Will be hanging onto the WRX for a few years. Next car is the X6,,, after I buy my wife another house....
dukefist is offline  
#12 Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 19
dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROImportTuners View Post
Like most have said: I'm sure winter tires will greatly improve your impressions about how the car handles in snow.

With stock all-season or summer tires in those conditions you really can't expect it to handle like a rally car.

Using the correct tires will also greatly improve stopping performance. Breaks are really limited by the amount of grip the tires offer. When the wheel speed sensors detect tire slip the ABS module will modulate pressure to try and prevent a skid. If your tires are slipping easily on snow it makes sense that the ABS module will pulsate frequently.

There is pretty minimal sound deadening I definitely agree with that. But since they are trying to keep the cars as light as possible these days for fuel economy reasons I think the engineers are probably pretty limited in the amount and types of sound isolation they can use.

The nice thing about the WRX vs the BMW is that almost all the issues you addressed are areas that can easily and cheaply be improved on. Tires, Brakes and sound deadening are are pretty inexpensive mods that you can do and improve your driving experience to suit your taste.
Thanks also for the feedback.

Going to be tinting today.

5k will be doing DP, intake and protune and stopping there. Maybe sway bars and brake upgrades if I feel its needed.
dukefist is offline  
#13 Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
BLAZE2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,580
Images: 6
BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukefist View Post
Just got my 2014 WRX limited w/nav,,, and compared to my 2006 BMW 325xi I was driving,, the brakes suck. It snowed here in NJ other day,, and I'm disappointed at the comparison of the WRX in a few areas compared to the 2006 BMW:

- Handling: I guess the WRX has summer tires,, it didn't feel as 'heavy' on the snow/icey roads. Obviously the BMW is heavier,, but that thing handling great. The WRX wasn't that bad,, but BMW won

- Brakes: The WRX brakes just sux. The way the ABS locked up on snow covered roads compared to the 06 BMW didn't even compare. The 7 year old BMW had great stopping power compared to WRX imo.

- Interior: WRX def a 'no frills',,, doors are very 'light' and interior seems to have no sound dampening under the carpet as the BMW did.

- Bluetooth: My bluetooth disconnected and re-connected 5 times during one phone call! I hope it was maybe the phonebook or messages transferring. I'll be pissed if the damn bluetooth keeps during that. I'm always on the phone for work in my car.

Any rec's on improving the brakes?

Does sound deadening the interior really make a difference?
Sell it!
I don't understand why you live here and aren't running Snows.
It's a Japanese sports car with rally in it's past. Not a European luxury car.
Apples to oranges is exactly it.

Nathan- learn how to spell brakes, that's your homework for the weekend.
We'd all like you to write it on a chalkboard a hundred times. Than post the picture if it in your build thread.

That will be all
turmic and 14WRX like this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
BLAZE2099 is offline  
#14 Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 109
14WRX is an unknown
One of my good friends just got an 09 TT BMW. The interior is really nice, has tons of torque, and looks great. It really is comparing apples to oranges though.

The WRX looks great, interior for me is just fine, and it still has plenty of power and handling for a car at its price point.

It all comes down to what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. Either way they are both really nice and I plan on keeping mine for a long time!
BLAZE2099 likes this.
14WRX is offline  
#15 Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
psinuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,077
psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Intelligent feedback....So you want intelligent feedback;
A) You shouldn't be on your phone while driving anyway. Honestly even hands free is stupid as most people can't drive anyway, especially in bad weather.
B) I have owned a BMW 335xi, I had way had way more issues with that car in the snow than I ever did with my Subaru. I had to take my wife to work numerous times and had all kinds of electrical issues, as with any German car made.
C) Whatever excuses you have, snow, rain, ice, that time of the month you can use them on just about any other car purchased in your life.
D) 5k upgrade should be tires, not performance. Hell you probably can't handle what the car has as it is.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
psinuse is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On