Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Handling Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/)
-   -   Good set up for spiritted daily driving? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/good-set-up-spiritted-daily-driving-32861/)

FreeDiRo 08-07-2012 04:35 PM

Good set up for spiritted daily driving?

So I am looking at 24mm adjustable rear/front Whiteline sways, with kartboy or whiteline endlinks, STI pinks(I think the RCE blacks I am looking at are too strong for 06 WRX stock struts) and either resurfacing my rotors because I feel the vibrations from deposits building up or just buy some better rotors that are drilled or slotted(would take some suggestions for this, because I fairly lost right now), kartboy short throw with bushings and finally some new summer performance tires. Can't afford good wheels yet so I am sticking with stock, which is fine because I like the sleeper look it will retain.

I don't plan on doing any auto-x anytime soon, but I love taking the car on back roads up the mountains and sometimes just good ol' freeway on and off ramps on the way home. Would this set up be decent, good, etc and I am interested in all advice. Hopefully I researched properly, just want to get a feel if I am truly going in the right direction because I will eventually(sooner than later) be getting a Cobb AP stage 1 with CBE and maybe a year or so getting a downpipe with a protune.

Thanks

man show 08-07-2012 08:53 PM

It sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction. Just an FYI: the Kartboy front endlinks don't work too well with the Whiteline 24 mm adjustable front sway bar (with or without the spacers). I tried that setup and it just didn't work on my 07 WRX - the Kartboy front endlinks were just angled too much, so I swapped the stock ones back in and they've held up fine for several years with the bar on the stiffer setting. The Whiteline rear sway bar works great with the Kartboy rear endlinks though (I have the 22 mm adjustable rear bar set on the middle setting).

You'll like the Kartboy short throw shift lever and front/rear polyurethane bushings (I have those too). You might want to consider the Cobb shifter if you are interested in any kind of adjustability. I wasn't concerned with that, so the Kartboy lever was fine for me.

Keep us updated.

FreeDiRo 08-08-2012 02:49 AM

Awesome! I think I may give the whiteline endlinks a shot and see how they do with the sways. it is interesting to hear you ran the sock endlinks, because most people say that it is a absolutely MUST to have endlinks with any sway upgrades. As for the short shifter, I am not to concerned with adjustability on that, I am just tired of the long throws I have to make on the stock stick and I am glad to hear the bushings will help also!

I have read many say do a mod or two at a time, but I am really thinking I may save up and do this all at once. I have been trying to get in contact with some local shops and a few have said that the more mods they install in one set up the cheaper it will be in the long run, that is for labor costs.

pzr2874 08-08-2012 05:36 AM

Try the RSB 1st and adjust it accordingly before you spend the extra cash on a front one. You may actually prefer it.

FreeDiRo 08-08-2012 09:17 AM

Ok, will that help reduce the slight understeer of the 06 WRX?

BoostinChick 08-08-2012 11:42 AM

I am still on the stock springs/struts, and this is what I have -[list]Perrin F/R Swaybars (the rears have the stout mounts)[/list][list]Perrin Endlinks[/list][list]Kartboy Botox Bolts[/list][list]Whiteline Roll Centre/Bump Steer Correction Kit[/list][list]Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings[/list]
I have the same driving style. Daily driver, but very "spirited" on back roads. I am doing a HPDE track event after my coilover install. The best first upgrade for suspension though is a good set of brakes and tires if you have not done so already.

P.S. Not a fan of the fixed/solid styles endlinks. They can be quite a PITA to install as man_show mentions. Check out the way the Perrin and AP (Agency Power) are made. Also, I would skip Stage 1 and just save up and go for Stage 2. It's night and day.

newtothegame 08-08-2012 12:18 PM

I have whteline endlinks on the rear of my car with my Hotchkis RSB (dont get unless you are into modifying parts). And its a huge difference in the car. And I have been running stock suspension for some time with upgraded power. Has me wanting to save for more suspension goodies over power mods ATM.

pzr2874 08-08-2012 12:23 PM

[quote=FreeDiRo;283791]Ok, will that help reduce the slight understeer of the 06 WRX?[/quote]

Correct, start on the firmest setting and then come forward.

FreeDiRo 08-08-2012 05:12 PM

Awesome info guys! I think I will definitely start with the adjustable sway in the back and skip the endlinks since it seems to be unnecessary. Use that saved money on more bushings and getting my Cobb AP or CBE sooner.

newtothegame 08-08-2012 06:42 PM

I would still look into getting endlinks, either Kartboy or whiteline. The stock ones are plastic and I wouldnt trust them thru spririted driving. But thats just me.

pzr2874 08-08-2012 07:17 PM

^This. The Perrin EL and mounts (if you decide to go a Perrin RSB) on the rear were day and night from stock.

FreeDiRo 08-09-2012 04:21 AM

oh, damn, good thing I reiterated my intentions!

Are the Perrin sways really that much better than Whiteline or Cobb

Thanks again

pzr2874 08-09-2012 05:44 AM

Personal preference. I ran the Perrin bars due to the issues with other endlinks I had read about.

brfatal 08-09-2012 09:01 AM

[quote=FreeDiRo;283831]Awesome info guys! I think I will definitely start with the adjustable sway in the back and skip the endlinks since it seems to be unnecessary. Use that saved money on more bushings and getting my Cobb AP or CBE sooner.[/quote]

They are depending on how aggressive of a bar you run. Go too firm and you could break the stock pieces.

My advice is to stay away from Perrin end links. They are prone to breakage. Kartboy is the general consensus.

pzr2874 08-09-2012 11:30 AM

^I don't agree that they break (Perrin's EL's, although install error could be the culprit as even I had an issue when I first put the bar on). I ran them for 2+ seasons of auto-x WITH stoutmounts and Perrin RSB and never had any issues.