Subaru WRX Forum banner

Getting rid of my coilovers, what now?

6K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Herknav 
#1 ·
Currently have Tein coilovers and I just don't like the ride. The car will likely never be tracked and I just want a more comfortable ride (one that doesn't make chiropractors smile). Will the STi struts and springs fit an 02 sedan?

Danke!

#2 ·
Brandon, I cant answer your first question about the STI parts, sorry. But I dont know if you have seen this thread: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/lowering-spring-wont-eff-up-my-shocks-does-exist-27559/ its got some good stuff in it.

**Ok well we still cant past a link in the thread for some stupid reason. But if you look here in the Handling Forum for a thread "Lowering springs that wont eff up my stock struts" or something like that. Its started srninjastar, about 4 pages long, but got some good suggestions and everything in it.**

#5 ·
No worries. Now looking at that chart (missed it the first time through) is doesn't mention that they are compatible... hmmm....

I'd go back to the stock setup, but I want just a tiny bit more drop (my sig pic was taken with the stock setup). I don't want to stress the stock struts with the wrong springs either... so I would rather have a strut/spring setup designed to work together... and still have that comfy stock feel...

#8 ·
I had my Dad go get quotes for removing/replacing my coilovers, (he is driving the car right now, I'm a continent away). The prices seem high to me:

Kyb struts and Subaru springs: $1935.70 parts and labor
stock all around: $1725.62 parts and labor

Am I smoking crack, or is this about $500 too high???

#9 ·
I think it's too high, even with labor included (at a reputable independent tuner shop). Are these quotes from a dealership garage?

Maybe 'they' are breaking out the cost for 4 wheel alignment, and/or using "book time" to calculate labor?...idk

#10 ·
The price is including alignment. The first price is from a tuner shop in the Twin Cities, the second price is from the local Subaru dealership.

I asked him for the breakout (leave it to my Dad to try and make it easier by telling me just the total cost). It is terribly frsutrating to do this by remote control.

#12 ·
It would be nearly impossible for me to do the work... car is in the Twin Cities with my Dad, I am stationed in Germany. Like I say, I am doing this by remote control.

#13 ·
For the Kyb struts at the shop:

334304 struts-(front) $185.00 (x2)
springs Subaru qriginal equipt. $102.40 (x2)
334305 struts-(rear) $185.00 (x2)
rear springs Subaru $128.00 (x2)
shop supplies $39.73
labor $513.66
alignment $79.95
Taxes $91.56

Total: $1925.70

For the stock stuff at the dealership:

20310fe140 strut cp front rh $158.95
20310fe150 strut cp front lh $158.95
20330fe230 coil spring front X2 $70.41 each
20360fe140 strut cp rear rh $158.95
20360fe150 strur cp rear lh $158.95
20380fe620 coil spring rear $88.00
20380fe630 coil spring rear $88.00
labor $696.00
alignment $79.95

Total: $1728.57

Of course, the numbers don't match what my Dad gave me earlier today. I'm not sure why supposed original equipment springs at the shop would be $30+ more expensive per. And is labor really ~$250 an hour? WTF?

#15 ·
I'm not no, but my Dad is, and one or both of the rear coilovers are clunking loudly (need a rebuild I assume) not to mention the ride is something aweful for a daily driver... especially for an old dude... not to mention (so I will) after I get back, I will be busy going through re-qual, moving in with my fiance, getting married, attending a reunionm etc... and I just don't have the time to fool with it.

The big difference in labor confuses me... and makes me suspicious...

#18 ·
That is what I am thinking of doing... purchase the parts online and have them shipped to my Dad's house. He said he would give them a call this evening after work.

#20 ·
Thanks for the link, that's about the best price I've seen for those.

I always wonder what it is my Dad is telling these folks, since it seems so obvious to me that these prices quoted are too damned high.

#21 ·
If you are just looking for a stock replacement. Here is what I would do:

KYB GR2s front/rear
Used stock springs
used stock top hats (unless you have yours?)

You would need to order '04-07 WRX GR2s (I have the part numbers if you want b/c I orded them the other day) if you wanted to use newer style 04-07 top hats and '04-07 springs. I will be selling my stock '05 WRX top hats and springs (80K miles on them) once my GR2s and Swift springs are installed this weekend. So if your interested PM or check the classified section on the NASIOC forums b/c people are selling them all the time.

Now if you are looking for an upgrade, such as adjustable struts, firmer springs, etc I highly recommend you contact TIC.

#22 ·
Unless the tophats are required for coilovers (with EDFC), I don't have them...

How do I tell if new tophats are required for the springs I chose?

I am pretty much set on the GR2s...

#23 ·
Depends on what you have on there now. I assume since you have coilovers you have camber plates and they may or may not fit a strut. So I would just get OEM top hats and run them with the GR2s.

However, you must match the OEM rear top hat year to the spring year (the fronts are the same style top hat for all 02-07). Meaning:

02-03 WRX rear top hat w/02-03 springs.

04-07 WRX rear top hat w/04-05 springs.

#29 ·
I'm looking forward to (eventually) seeing how the setup is, but that will have ot wait until I get the car back after I go back stateside.

Sorry I didn't respond to you PM. I would be willing to sell them. I do not know the condition, but I suspect at least one needs to be rebuilt. My Dad says the rear is "clunking".

#31 ·
The Tein's are off now. Dad says one is leaking but the others look pretty good. I will be up there myself in a few weeks to look them over.

In other news, he also says the car handles very nicely with the new setup. I am looking forward to checking it out for myself... just have to get to the right continent first...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.