Subaru WRX Forum banner

get screwed or get coilovers?

5K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Scooby_WRX04 
#1 ·
My camber is all messed up but is maxed out. They told me i need all new struts to fix the problem. Is this true? Also I priced it out, subaru wants 800$ for 4 new struts no labor intended. Should i buy the struts or just spend a little extra for coilovers? I've wanted to get new springs for a while as well so im not exactly sure what to do. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
well shoot, i'd rather get TEIN's Basic Coilover setup, prices start @ $750... but for the WRX it's probably $900 i think, never checkked... if it's going to cost ya $800 for Subaru to do it, without labor, then i'd personaly get coilovers. unless i'm misunderstanding something here, it seems like a better decision to me...

#4 ·
many people here think it's a waste of money to get coilovers, but if you're going to buy new struts for $800, you might as well get some decent coilovers right? just my opinion !Thumbs Up

#5 ·
Thats what i was thinking but i too have heard it's a waste of money and they arnt that much better than stock. But 800 was just for the stuts and then they recommended i get new springs along with new struts. which i dont know how much that will be but just looking for best option

#6 ·
Tien basic coilovers are just like stock except they last 1/2 as long but offer more adjustablility (which most of us will never use). They make nicer ones that are more capable but you probably wouldn't notice it on the streets anyway. Unless you track it, it's still prob a better deal for spring + strut (especially cause you don't even need new springs).

Just because the price of springs + struts is comparable to coilovers doesn't mean coilovers are the easy choice. It's not all about money. The spring+strut is a simpler installation and they last a good bit longer. Especially if you never track the car, there's no reason to go coilovers. The adjustability is useless which is their main advantage.

#13 ·
Tien basic coilovers are just like stock except they last 1/2 as long but offer more adjustablility (which most of us will never use). They make nicer ones that are more capable but you probably wouldn't notice it on the streets anyway.
I was just giving an example, if you want to get some cheaper coilovers. Sure you can throw down $1700+ for some nice ol' coilovers but whatever's your preference...

#7 ·
Thanks Mosc. So if i wanted to lower my car a little bit do you recommend i just go with lowering springs and new stock struts? I read up on struts and springs and that it is recommended to replace springs and struts every 40,000 miles. thats the only reason i ask. I really wasnt even planning on doing suspension until the future but my chamber is all jacked up and i need new struts pretty bad. The guy told me that the only way to fix my camber right now is to replace my suspension. What do you think i should do. Im open to any option at this point.

#8 ·
What is mess up with your camber? Why can't you get an alignment?
Blown struts will cause problems, but never of them maxing out camber. I would agree with mosc on the coilovers, they take a lot of work, time and money to get setup right. If you are going to drop $800 on struts, get Konis.

#10 ·
I think they are feeding you a line BS- do you have a before/after printout? please post the #'s and I can likely advise what needs to be done

Unless they provide you some concrete evidence I'd stay away from that shop.

Have you been in an accident?

How many miles on your oe struts?

Springs don't usually wear out until many, many miles- think 100k+

sounds like they are trying to bilk you :(

#11 ·
I was driving and hit a pot hole. Bent my rim. Got a new rim and took my car to NTB for an alignment. They came back out and said my Camber is 1.4º off from where it should be. I asked cant you fix it and they told me "it's maxed out". They then told me i need new struts in order to fix it. Then i asked if anything was bent and they told me that everything looked fine to them. So like i said im not sure what to do. I have 75,000 miles. I know I know thats a lot for an 05 but i have to take long trips all the time haha.

#14 ·
I just dropped my car off at Verocious motorsports in wilmington, DE for a new map. While its there they are going to check it out and see if i bent the control arm or anything. Hopefully the other shop was just trying to bend me over because I really don't want to have to redue all my suspension yet. I get my car back tomorrow so i will be sure to let you all know and ask for some suggestions depending on what the problem is. Thanks for all help so far.

#16 ·
well i got my car back. Good news and some really bad news. Good news is that nothing is bent. not the control arm or anything. The bad news is that i was also getting a new map but apparently my turbo is going bad....they cant get it produce more than 13psi and they told me it is probably going to crap out on me soon. not sure what to do. any suggestions?

#17 ·
Time to start looking into an upgraded one? This is really your call. If you need, start checking the classifieds for either the stocker or maybe a 39/43 off an STI. Just depends on what you want out of the car and what your financial situation is.

#18 ·
I would baby the car while getting to parts to upgrade. You will need fuel pump, injectors, and the tubro. The size of the turbo is your call, just make sure your get the right size injectors to go with it, talk with your tuner here. I would skip the VF 39 and go with a VF34/30 or a 16g, both are very go street turbos with little lag and can net you 280-300 whp. The 18g plus will add power but will also add lag.
Make a game plan for your build and stick to it.

#19 ·
You will need fuel pump, injectors, and the tubro.
*and an intercooler

I would skip the VF 39 and go with a VF34/30 or a 16g
The reason to get the VF39 is because you can find it used for cheap. The other turbos you listed are usually purchased new for more money. Either get some used VF39 off an STi or get yourself something you really want which is usually quite a bit bigger like an E316G or 18G or whatever. They just cost more and you'll want bigger injectors/intercooler to deal with them as well.

#20 ·
Thats kind of how i felt. I've known what i want for a while. The issue comes down to the money. Do i go the cheap route and have to spend more money later to get what i actually want? or do i just suck it up bite the bullet and get the things i want. As for the supporting mods, i know that the fuel pump isnt very expensive but the intercooler and injectors are. As for the intercooler, i did a search on here about ebay intercoolers. most of the thread are older and the Manufactures no longer exist on ebay such as ssac. Can any of you verify a decent ebay TMIC on there if i bring up a couple links? As for the injectors, my tuner mentioned something about modifying my stock injectors vs buying new ones. Has anyone heard of this or known whether that is a good idea or not? Thanks guys

#23 ·
same thing just happened to me...my stock turbo died...i didnt want to spend the money on the labor and another stock one...so i shelled out some cash for a Deadbolt 20g....couldnt be happier with it...of course im making way too much power for the clutch...it slips at WOT haha

#25 ·
Well, you'd be wrong.

You want to call me out, you do it in a PM. That's not because I'm a mod, you should do the same to any user here. You want to disagree with information, you are free to do it. You want to disagree with accusations, you keep it off the forums. No need to drag up a 2 month old thread to dis somebody.

I re-iterate, the main feature of a coilover setup is that it's adjustable. If you are just going to throw them on there and forget it, they're probably not what you want to get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.