Subaru WRX Forum banner

GDB (04-07) WRX/STI - Tanabe GF210 Springs - NEW

6K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 ·
I'm considering these Tanabe GF210 springs. Part number is GDBGK, reportedly these are JDM spec tanabe.

These spring (GDBGK) and the TG092 have spring rates of 240lbs/in up Front, and 224lbs/in Rear. Lowers Approximately 1" front and 3/4" rear.

A healthy increase in rates for WRX but not overly stiff like the TGF107 which the seller says I don't also need a strut upgrade as well right away.

I like that they are spec-C spring rates, but will they be suitable for my stock struts, or should I only install them with upgraded struts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
NorthUrsalia.com: Spring Rate Chart

the spring rate is almost the same as STI Pinks which are most commonly used upgraded springs to use with stock struts. (or stock aftermarket oe replacements like kybs)

i have older kyb gr-2's and v7 black springs (224/194 i think spec C?) and looking to upgrade to pinks. (or maybe i'll upgrade to tanabe? let us know how they are if u go with them)

#14 ·
i have older kyb gr-2's and v7 black springs (224/194 i think spec C?) and looking to upgrade to pinks. (or maybe i'll upgrade to tanabe? let us know how they are if u go with them)
2002 STi Spec C Springs 257lbsF/217lbsR(USDM STi rates 224F/195R) I run the actual Spec C Springs and almost all of the suspension from one. The Spec C "pink" struts will not work with the USDM WRX as the bolt pattern is different due to the larger hub of the STI. I did purchase 04 STi KYBs and think they handle the load just fine. I had to upgrade a few things due to mine being an 03 and as far as the over all suspension geometry....I did notice a big handling change, but then again I changed a bunch of stuff at one time.

#4 · (Edited)
Stock GD WRX struts are junk, they're taxed at stock spring rates let alone anything higher. They're the same as the Impreza model. Pinks are for STi struts which are much better. If you want you could track down a set of 04 STi struts (only that year) and use those springs effectively. That or an aftermarket set.

I know it's unpopular but there's been plenty of testing with the GD over the years. Spring upgrades don't help anything on your car with factory struts.

#6 ·
Thanks mosc, that's what I suspected. I want the strut damping to match the spring rates as well, which was also a concern.

I had been considering upgrading to KYB - Excel-G struts as well, which I have heard are compatible with the increased spring rate. CarID offered the struts to me for 285 $US, so that is an attractive price.

Attachments

#7 ·
excel g's supersede the gr-2's. i can tell you my gr-2's are great with my spec C springs. i cant give any track related reviews, but i stay quite flat doing 100kph on 270degree on-ramps. :)

Reactions: LW_Black4
#8 ·
I thought there was some issue with those struts where they only fit the 02-03 and not the 04-07? Just be careful with the fitment that they're talking about the 04-05 specifically otherwise nothing bad to say about KYB.

My memory's not clear but I think they make two types of struts, one's like a stock replacement and the other's much better.

EDIT: Yeah, these companies make other parts I'm not sure you're looking at the right things. As far as I can tell the Excel-G struts are OE replacements, not an upgrade. KYB's performance struts are the AGX line, which they don't even list for the 04 WRX I believe because of the fitment issues I mentioned. There's some trick to using them, I think it's getting a hold of a top hat from an 02-03 WRX and probably something else I'm forgetting but I would not recommend the Excel-G's if you're looking to upgrade.

Similarly, Tanabe has a "DF" line of lowering springs (junk) and a "GF" line of performance springs which are some of the best. The spring rates you quoted they call TGF092, which are stronger than STi spring rates so I'd say you need at least an STi strut. The TGF107's are very stiff and even the stock STi strut would be overwhelmed. For that you'd need a serious strut like d-spec or shoehorning in something more exotic.

#11 ·
Similarly, Tanabe has a "DF" line of lowering springs (junk) and a "GF" line of performance springs which are some of the best. The spring rates you quoted they call TGF092, which are stronger than STi spring rates so I'd say you need at least an STi strut. The TGF107's are very stiff and even the stock STi strut would be overwhelmed. For that you'd need a serious strut like d-spec or shoehorning in something more exotic.
This reputation stuff is helpful, thanks for your wisdom. :)

#9 ·
yea you're correct, the excel g's are OE replacements. but they are 15% stiffer. AGX is thier performance line correct, but imo, not needed. the 02-03 need spacers u can get from scoobymods, and 04 hats. his 04 should have no fitment issues what i have researched, unless he his using 02-03 springs then yes he needs 02-03 hats.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1303381

Reactions: LW_Black4
#16 ·
Without changing the geometry, the correct ride height is determined by spring rate. Raising the spring rate should drop the car in proportion. People go wrong when they want a substantial drop without a substantial springrate (mostly because the stock strut wouldn't work with anything near that tight and short a spring).

Things are complicated a bit because the car has progressive springs (lower rate at first, higher as they start to compress) but the basic principle is the same.

So if you avoid lowering springs and look at performance springs you'll find that they have only moderate drops and much more aggressive spring rates comparatively. These are designed for your stock suspension geometry... though probably for something beefier than your stock strut.

#15 ·
the chart has those values in reverse. says spec c & ra are 224/194 and sti pink are 257/217. i should note that sti 'pinks' are jdm, not usdm. usdm is in fact, as you said, 224/194. im just assuming spec c/type ra are the same as v7 takeoffs since the spring rates seem to the same.

so you have 04 hats on yours right? did u need spacers to fit your 04 struts to your 03?

#20 ·
From Subaru they Spec C/RA have a higher rate than the standard JDM STi springs. Not sure about that website, might be based on the UK version of the STi which is different than the JDM version in a few ways.

I used 04 mounts and didn't need spacers for the struts. Everything was pretty much bolt in and straight forward. Granted with the Spec C control arms things are a little wonky at the alignment shop because the give more positive caster to the front of the car, but all in all I believe in sticking with the stock Subaru stuff simply because it is designed for the cars and platform they sit on. Much like MOSC said,
Without changing the geometry, the correct ride height is determined by spring rate. Raising the spring rate should drop the car in proportion. People go wrong when they want a substantial drop without a substantial springrate (mostly because the stock strut wouldn't work with anything near that tight and short a spring).

Things are complicated a bit because the car has progressive springs (lower rate at first, higher as they start to compress) but the basic principle is the same.

So if you avoid lowering springs and look at performance springs you'll find that they have only moderate drops and much more aggressive spring rates comparatively. These are designed for your stock suspension geometry... though probably for something beefier than your stock strut.
Also the lateral links are longer on the Spec C stuff than the stock WRX...10mm on each side to be a bit more accurate. So you are looking at roughly 20mm(3/4") difference between the STi and WRX rear track width. Something that up until that point I hadn't really given much thought to.

Reactions: titter
#19 ·
Yeah, I don't disagree. The Stock 02-07 Impreza/WRX struts aren't that great. I don't think the Excel-g's are as strong as 04 STi struts but they're probably more like the more recent year WRX struts. The AGX struts they sell are a good upgrade from the STi level let alone stock WRX.

#23 ·
heres a post i found months ago i just remembered about. he was the one who reccomended v7 takeoffs for me :)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2525666
"Sedan guys can buy the 04/07 wagon application, is the cheapest option and get all the additional negative camber from the front wagon struts. Just saying"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.