Subaru WRX Forum banner

First Suspension Mod?

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Big-E 
#1 ·
So I was looking at getting New struts then Springs then Sway bars but not sure if thats the right way to go about it? maybe Sawys before Struts? I don't know
I found the struts from FastWRX.com they're Tokico D-Spec Shocks.
I was looking at H&R Sport Springs or Mach V Springs.
And I was looking at H&R Sway Bars or another Brand but Sure which One.
any info will help:)

Thanks Dan

#2 ·
Sway bars FTW.

If you're on a low budget, replacing just the rear will make a noticeable improvement (I forget what size compliments the stock front). Getting both front and rear with adjustability is the best money I ever spent on my car. I run the Cobb 25mm set-up

#3 ·
I would go with swaybars also, but only if you have good rubber. The stock rubber is not go for a perfromance car. Also get an alignment, some neg camber helps make the car fun to drive.
Here is nice spread sheet that might help you.
Whiteline bars seem to be what most use, Cobb and Hotchkis also make kits. I would get a match set like wagonracer said. IIRC the 22mm work with the stock front bar.

#10 ·
22mm didn't increase NVH or stiffness in any noticeable way but provided a large improvement in perceived handling/stability while cornering. Basically, you will be more confident taking turns at higher speeds. If you want to maybe go stiffer in the future you should get some 25mm adjustables and start at the lowest setting.

#6 ·
DO NOT do springs and shocks first!!! its what i did and i regret it BIG TIME.

I wish i had done them last because as i started to get more and more involved in messing with the suspension, my springs and shocks did not fit well with the suspension path i ended up taking.

Do all the Braces/bushings first. Then sway bars/control arms/lateral links/etc...
THen do springs and shocks/coilovers. Once you have done all the other stuff and got comfortable with your suspensions you will have a better idea as to how stiff u are going to want your springs and shocks to be. Not to mention all other mods are going to be that much harder with your car being lower, assuming you work on your car oin jackstands like i do. if u got a lift that doesnt matter then

I for example got eibach pro-kit springs with kyb gr-2 shocks. i only wanted a mild upgrade, with nice lookks to boot. It felt like stock but looked cooler and i was happy. Now that i have upgraded all my other suspensions bushings/braces/sways/control arms i now realize i basically have a stock quality spring/strut combo. Its WAY too soft, and i wish i had gone with a stiffer LINEAR spring, with an adjustable strut. Now im stuck with a lower version of stock suspension till these struts fail. Im not touching it anymore unless something breaks. im done with it 4 a while

#8 ·
So when you say Braces and Bushings first you mean Strut tops, streering rack bushings, sway bar bushings and so on.
On FastWRX.com I found a kit from Energy Suspension would that be the bushings you are saying to upgrade first?
just want to make sure I want to do this some what right the first time:D

#7 ·
I installed Whiteline Front and Rear Anti-roll Bars today with Kartboy endlinks. There is a very obvious improvement in handling, definitely recommended. I put on the 22mm front and 22mm rear adjustable, first setting. Total cost for parts was $475.

#9 ·
What are going to do with the car?
What don't you like about the way the car handles?
You need to get a game plan before your start throwing money at the car. You can do spring and struts first, if you know what rates you need and you get struts that can work with them. Bushings and braces can make the care feel better, but can also make the ride rough.
If you look at my setup, I did the coilover and rubber first, then added the braces and bushings, followed the swaybars and endlinks, I did the bars last because I need to see how the coilover where working before I got bars. This setup was done in one summer along with getting the car corner balanced and aligned with some neg camber.
My setup is not great for a DD, it is stiff. So, make sure you have a game plan before you spend money.

#11 ·
Well I dont plan on racing it thats for the Wagon!
and I like every thing about the handling I just want less body roll in the corners!
and I've got the Trans mount, Perrin subframe lock down kit, Perrin Shifter bushings in her. so I would like to do suspension before power because I like the power it has right now! so I guess my game plan is
Suspension
Interior
Drivetran
Exterior
power
or a little here and there pretty much.

#13 ·
Whiteline front adjustable 22mm swaybar
Whiteline rear adjustable 22mm swaybar
Kartboy endlink kit for front and rear
Anti-seize for all bolts
Grease with aluminim base for bar bushings

The above would be a good start to get more response out of the car while the remainder of the car: chassis/drivetrain/suspension, is still stock.

As you progress and do more research you can then go to chassis upgrades, drivetrain upgrades and suspension upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.