Subaru WRX Forum banner

excessive brake dust HELP

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  boostspike 
#1 ·
so i just noticed while looking at my car today that the pass side front wheel was much dirtier then the rest. i have not felt anything different when i drive or brake, the car does have hawk HPS pads in the front and slotted rotors but the drivers side wheel is clean when compared. haven't taken the wheel off to check anything out yet. any pointers?

#2 ·
Hmm.. do you remember driving through a puddle which might have splashed the other wheel to clean it off? Although not very likely, most roads tilt toward the passenger side, so gravity might have a little bit to do with it. Other reasons might be that a caliper piston is stuck, the rotor(s) may be slightly warped, the caliper may be malfunctioning, or maybe the pads were installed incorrectly. If they were freshly installed, they may just need a little bit more time to settle in place and wear evenly. Were the brake lines beld properly? Let us know if you figure the problem out. I'll be installing my set of Hawk HPS pads and turning my stock rotors in the spring, so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any similar problems when I do.

#3 ·
even tho i drove through a monsoon this weekend in rhode island i don't think it's that. im hopeing that its not the cailper as that could be expensive. brakes have about 25k on them so don't think i did anything wrong during the install. taking off the wheel this afternoon ill post an update. maybe ill take it to the dealer after i check it out only 5k till 100k n no more warranty

#6 ·
dust is def black, it has trashed my wheel not the normal dust i've been seeing for the past 20k. pads looked ok plenty of meat left, rotors are stoptech which i thought were pretty good. also i took my hands off the wheel( i know i shouldnt' but it's for science) and did a stop from 40-45 with moderate pressure not pulling to either side. idk what to do ...maybe a trip to the dealer:notgood:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.