Garage
good link. Rep issued.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
Harbor Freight sells spring compressors for $15. They were on sale for $10 when I bought them in the store and I had a 20% off coupon, so $8. They work well if you oil the threads a little with some WD-40 so the threads don't bind. They did the job and I've used them again on an EVO spring install. Cheap insurance to keep you from taking a spring to the face.

MacPherson Strut Coil Spring Compressor Set
That one seems decent. I like the ones that have the retainers on them like this:

Amazon.com: OEM 25550 Strut Spring Compressor: Home Improvement Amazon.com: OEM 25550 Strut Spring Compressor: Home Improvement

That's the one I plan to get when I need to get one.

-Chris
#18 Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Cool links, but when it comes time to upgrade mine I will be doing the two person, fingers crossed method like I did with my wifes car. It worked for me, maybe I just have that dumb luck. But I do agree that they are handy to have and wouldnt hurt.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#19 Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Are you talking about having one person put all their weight on the top and the other does the nut?

I did try that with a buddies Baja (albeit a different spring) and it didn't work very well... hahaha

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#20 Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Are you talking about having one person put all their weight on the top and the other does the nut?

I did try that with a buddies Baja (albeit a different spring) and it didn't work very well... hahaha
I bet it worked out better than the boulder. But, seriously I'd use a spring compressor if its that cheap to buy or just rent one.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#21 Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Here we go.

Boulder < no oil in my car

1 time accident vs. neglect over time....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#22 Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I pushed down on the top hat/spring while my buddy pushed down and loosened/tightened the nut. Funny thing is Im one of the only stock suspensioned subies around here. And all of them have done what I did with my wifes car. Idk must be that "special" strength, lol.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#23 Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

rpbarlow is an unknown
Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone, this was very helpful!

I've studied the forums a lot, and I've found that the best non-coilover option is the Bilstein/RCE setup. I gave Myles a call and got on the list of people to notify when he gets more of those in stock. I think it's better to wait on that part than to do anything else (the Koni's don't appeal to me very much.)

I've read that the Bilstein setup isn't quite designed for the 2011 model and that I will need some kind of tophat to get it to fit. It was also said that it will affect my camber. Could anyone explain the consequences of buying that part to me, and where I can find the tophat that will fit my car?

For now, I think I'm going to start with RCE swaybars with Kartboy links. Looking forward to getting the suspension more in check!
#24 Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Here we go.

Boulder < no oil in my car

1 time accident vs. neglect over time....
Not neglect over time...one time was too much.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae