creaking sound - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-11-2009, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
creaking sound

ive had a creak in my suspension for awhile now and its only been gettin louder. it happens when i let off the clutch slow and when i apply the break at low speeds. just changed my springs so i retightened the struts and got alignment. creak is still ther. anyone know what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-11-2009, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmike0704 View Post
ive had a creak in my suspension for awhile now and its only been gettin louder. it happens when i let off the clutch slow and when i apply the break at low speeds. just changed my springs so i retightened the struts and got alignment. creak is still ther. anyone know what it could be?
Ya, crappy megan racing springs on stock struts. Megan Racing is really one of the worst options for springs, as they put no R&D behind their knock off/crappy products.

However, in all honesty give the springs time to settle in and maybe it will stop. But, if your ride starts getting bumpy it could mean your struts are on their way out. Stock struts tend to start going at approximately 80K miles and dropping the car only accelerates that. You may have also over tightened the bolts on the strut tops, you should tighten them to factory spec with a torque wrench (sorry I cannot remember how many lbs that is).

Other things to look at is your sway bars (since you said the noise was there before the spring install). Maybe it is time to regrease all the bushings (use waterproof white litium grease). I would also check your cv boots/axles and make sure you don't have any grease/fluid in the area or tears/punctures in the boots. Lastly, make sure exhaust is tight...meaning it is not moving/rattling around. If it is it may be time for some new stiffer exhaust hangers (Kartboy makes great ones).

Basically, you should put your car on a lift (or a couple of good jack stands) and give everything under the car/the suspension a good look over. Check for loose parts, fluid where it should not be, and just anything that seems out of wack.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-11-2009, 11:34 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Also check to see if the springs are seated properly in the strut, and give everything a good tug and see if you can duplicate the sound.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement