where did you get yours?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
on coilovers every time you adjust them you have to get your car aligned if im not mistaken.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#18 Old 01-26-2007, 01:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

jrk1841 is an unknown
Where is the best place to buy Whiteline Sway bars with endlinks??
#19 Old 01-26-2007, 09:39 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/...1&productID=30
http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/...1&productID=29
there's the bars, I'd call them and see if they have the links too. They're good guys, you might get a package deal.
#20 Old 01-27-2007, 10:44 AM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There are some MAJOR misconceptions about "coilovers"- coilovers differ from a "traditional" strut/spring simply becuase they have threaded collars and allow height ajdustment. They can have non adj damping, single adj, double adj and triple adj. Coilovers encompass a very wide range of options, but also generally pretty specific applications.

The biggest misconception is that you can "rally" w/ them and then "slam" them for the track. Look very carefully at the recommended ride heights for the particular coilover your looking at- if they are honest the range is relatively narrow. The further you get away from the ideal ride height, the more compromise to performance (and longevity of your strut). Part two of this is that when you change ride height is you change camber as well- this isn't an overly grave concern on it's own EXCEPT that when you change camber you change toe too- this is a biggy and even slight toe changes can eat your tires alive!

Now wher coilovers do shine is that they are very specific and you can get exactly what you want- if you "rally" you can get rally specific setups- long travel, lower spring rates, beefy construction and damping to match. Same for the track- shorter travel, higher spring rates w/ matching damping. Your going to pay (literally) for this however if it's waht you need there is no substitute.

There is higher maintence w/ coilovers and often additinal costs down the road- rebuilding. There is often much more NVH that are asociated w/ coilovers as well.

If you can articulate why you need coilovers- by all means get them (and get the ones that you need), if not look for a spring/strut that meets your needs/goals- lots to choose from- just have to research a little bit.

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa

Last edited by Big Sky; 01-27-2007 at 06:37 PM.
#21 Old 01-27-2007, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

mattxander12 is an unknown
I'd like to add a few questions.

Its my understanding that the average mileage in which coilovers generally need to be rebuilt is around 15K miles... or generally every year for the average daily driving american. Is this accurate ? and how/what is required and the costs of a rebuild ?

I thought the main benefit of coilovers was ajustability. You can adjust dampening and height for whatever reason, right. For instance, i could lower it and adjust for a track-like setting for the track and summers and raise it back to stock levels for winters etc. Is this a good use for coilovers or would there be something better suited for that ?
#22 Old 01-27-2007, 07:27 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Rebuild intervals are going to vary widely. Lots of it will depnd on the strut itself, obvious ly use plays a major and luck too- sometimes you just get unlucky.

I would think that most good coilovers and with relatively mild use should go 2-3 years w/o a rebuild.

The major benefit of height adjustment is getting to a particular ride height- this can be done w/ coilovers IF the height you want is within the "sweet spot" of this particualr coilover. It also gives you the ability to corner weight your car- something 95 out of 100 guys aren't going to do.

If you had a coilover w/ a pretty wide range of ride heights you could conceivably have a track/summer height and a winter height, but you will need a four wheel alignment after each time you change that height. Also if you look carefully many coilovers don't offer a ride height that is in the oe height range.

You also need to be looking vary carefully at spring rates and damping. Many of the jdm coilovers come w/ pretty firm rates and pretty firm damping to match- great on a smooth track, not so great on less than perfect roads. Most come w/ very little travel too- again no problems on a smooth track, trouble on rough roads.

Then you also have adj damping on some models (but not all, some coilovers are ride height adj, but not damping adj)- again this is going to vary greatly among brands/models. But believe me, you want "good" damping.

There are lots and lots of folks that would be doing much "better" on a well matched spring/strut setup. Ofcourse there are folks that only coilovers make sense- these folks are in the minority however

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
#23 Old 01-28-2007, 12:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

I thought the rebuilds were a lot worse than you say they are, which makes it a less noticable negative. As far as OE heights, really in my mind as long as i'm not plowing snow, its not an issue. Do most coilover copanies advertise this "sweet spot" or is it by trial and error ? Also do most alignment shops have four corner weights to do correct tweaking ?
#24 Old 01-28-2007, 03:00 PM
WRXpert

Most should list a recommended ride height and or a range (generally the "sweet spot" is in the miiddle of the range).

Generally only race shops will have corner weight equipment- certainly not a necessity, but a nicety

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
#25 Old 01-29-2007, 08:44 AM
WRXpert

Dont NEED adj bars, but it does add a little versatility to the setup

"normal" endlinks should be sufficient, your mounts are fine (you have a 04- they uprated the rear sway bars mounts in 04).

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
#26 Old 01-31-2007, 08:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
I just installed Helix DNAs myself. Install was a breeze. I also put in front and rear sway bars. The car handles excellent. Im riding with them set on 12 in front and 14 in the rear. I dont think the ride is that harsh its tollerable. Ive also had tein SS on my old wrx. IMO i liked the SS-P a little more because it had the EDFC and the they were 5kg/5kg which is a bit more comfortable for the street.
#27 Old 01-31-2007, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxtacy19
I just installed Helix DNAs myself. Install was a breeze. I also put in front and rear sway bars. The car handles excellent. Im riding with them set on 12 in front and 14 in the rear. I dont think the ride is that harsh its tollerable. Ive also had tein SS on my old wrx. IMO i liked the SS-P a little more because it had the EDFC and the they were 5kg/5kg which is a bit more comfortable for the street.
A few questions for you wrxtacy.... How are the mounts for the brake lines ? also... how is turn-in with the DNA's ? I heard they were rebranded so i'm just wondering on the quality and the effects of them on hard cornering.

Also... does EDFC change ride height or just dampening ?