Coilovers or springs? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-11-2002, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Founder

Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Coilovers or springs?

Which do you have? Obviously, coilovers are more expensive, but are they the better choice? Do they offer that much more as far as the ride is concerned? For street use, can a good set of adjustable shocks and stiffer springs do just as well?

-Chris
WRXtuners.com Founder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2002, 07:56 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Re: Coilovers or springs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ludachris
Which do you have? Obviously, coilovers are more expensive, but are they the better choice? Do they offer that much more as far as the ride is concerned? For street use, can a good set of adjustable shocks and stiffer springs do just as well?
I've had both- DMS 40's, now the STi spring/strut setup. Coilovers have the obvious advantage of adjustability- damping (some double adj), ride height, normally several spring rates to choose from. How important that adjustability is dependent on what applications you have planned for your rex and how neccessary those adjustments are. Other advantages of the coilovers are the ability to corner weight your vehicle and that most are rebuildable.

That being said, a quality spring/strut combination can also be a very nice setup- you obviously save $ and ride quality and performance can approach coilovers (I would guess even exceed in some cases).

I'll probably go back to coilovers someday, but not until I'm convinced that a bullet proof, do it all coilover is built for the WRX.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-23-2002, 09:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

DJSpaghetto69 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to DJSpaghetto69
Well, you can do springs and shocks... But you will be bored with the tuning capablities sooner rather than later. The primary advantage to using coilovers is that ability to control the pre-load on the spring. This will help with right height and suspension jounce. Also the the spring and shock are matched, so the softness you will get from the standard spring/shock set up will be eliminated. Yet another reason is that most shocks are mono-piston equiped, so ride quility suffers when you adjust the valving. Tein is one of the FEW companys that produces Bi-tube designs for RIDE QUAITY and PERFORMANCE. JIC also has this availibe, but they primarily stick to the mono-piston design.

The only problems is they cost more... Bah! Who needs those stupid Altezza lights anywho, save your beans and and get something good.

Just my $.02.

JDMness... Yum!
post #4 of 4 Old 10-25-2002, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boost21 is an unknown
H&R is the best for stock shocks and struts....

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p9d6f186636282b7dd7bcd065657d418a/fcfd55d0.jpg.orig.jpg[img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement