Coilover Choices - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-20-2010, 03:04 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You say tomato, I say, well, tomato.

Heh. To be more specific, the shock is an internal part of a strut (at least in our specific application of a McPherson strut). Dspecs are entire struts:
TiC Tok suspension package

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Oh I see. I was wondering what the difference was... So does that mean the Dspecs will last longer than a regular coilover set? And I assume the TiC Tok package comes disassembled, right?

Mike
#18 Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

impreza2.0 is more helpful than not
Missing a LOT of info here...

A strut/spring and a coilover are nearly identical, with the exception of the piston being rebuildable in a coilover. Typically a "shock or strut" is disposeable. The piston body of a coilover is threaded, and the coil is perched on an adjustable ring seat which can be moved up and down on the threads of the piston body. A strut or shock has a welded perch in many cases, ours are one.

There are a lot of varieties of each type of system. There are race-only strut/spring combos, as stiff as coilovers, and they are built to handle the rigors of off-road rally racing. You won't want them for daily driving. Ride height is wacko, everything will be impossible to adjust around, unless you want to do a lot of shopping. There are "comfort" coilovers, ride height and damping adjustable, rebuildable, completely serviceable, and good for a lifetime.

There's a lot of brands, prices, models, etc. You guys hit on maybe 1/100th of what's out there. Ohlin, Bilstein, Cusco, Tein, Eibach, Skunk2, sort of "in order by price and quality". The more you spend doesn't mean the more you get. Think hard about how much you are going to beat up on your car after you do the install. Are you a gangsta, and race everyone all the time? Spend as much money as possible. Please. If you take racing seriously, this is all pretty funny, probably.

If you are a daily driver and car owner and want to have a good performance suspension that can keep up with you in twisties and fun curvy spots, get ahold of a vendor with several brands, describe your car's mods thus far, your plans, your driving style, and your desires based on the shortcomings you have discovered. Where does your car not do what you wish it would? You might find yourself looking for seats, aerodynamics, brake components... talking with experienced shop folk is the best way to get your suspension fitted to you. Forums are awesome, but that's like trying to buy shoes online without having ever even seen them in person.
#19 Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarnham View Post
Oh I see. I was wondering what the difference was... So does that mean the Dspecs will last longer than a regular coilover set? And I assume the TiC Tok package comes disassembled, right?
I think they offer assembly if you want. Putting a spring on a strut isn't that difficult though. Most of the assembly is taking the strut on and off the car.

The point impreza2.0's trying to make about struts ans springs being similar to coilovers is structural but in terms of produts is not very relevant. Aftermarket springs tend to be somewhat close to stock springrates where coilovers are often an order of magnitude stiffer. For example, the stock springrate on a 02-05 WRX is 163F/119R, Tein H-techs are a paltry 196F/140R, some stiff race springs like RCE yellows are a much stiffer 295F/275R, and even the lightest set of coilovers (7/5k) is 392F/280R, often stiffer setups at twice that much.

Although mechanically similar in function, coilovers are designed for track use where adjustment is king. Stock struts have little (some would say no) adjustment. Similarly, the springrates are in different worlds. Also, most aftermarket springs are progressive, like the stock springs (mattering on the year). The vast majority of springs used on coilovers are not progressive.

In short, coilovers may have shocks and springs like a strut+spring setup, but are not very similar in purpose or application.

#20 Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuspensionSource is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to SuspensionSource
Either really compare to the German engineering in the ST Suspension coilovers. ST is the brother company to KW Suspensions. The technology is by far better than the mentioned companies. Price is within ballpark as well.
#21 Old 04-30-2011, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
This should not be suprising. Coils need rebuilding frequently. You won't get the same mileage you would out of a strut with a spring.

For 02-07 WRX folks, I'd look at the following:
-Used 04 STi springs and struts
-Dspec struts with RCE springs (black or yellow but if you never track get the black)
-A decent coil set. Expect to pay about $2500 and send it back for a rebuild ever 10-20k miles. Totally overkill for a streetcar.
mosc, with the 04-07 STi S/S, dont they get the CLUNK quite often?
I ask this only because for some reason I have had that clunk for a while now and now want to upgrade my suspension to something a bit better for a DD that wont see the track.

Just wondering how often this CLUNK appears in the STi susp.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#22 Old 04-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Garage
No, I don't get a clunk. That's usually because the stock struts start to go. Mine have been re-packed (which is easy to do). Also, a lot of people mistake the rear diff thud for a suspension related issue. Bushings can solve that one as well

#23 Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
awesome info, thanx a ton. you just cleared up my suspension misconceptions,......
If I were to switch to STi suspension, where would I benefit mostly, and will it give me a slight change of stance?
Thanx again....CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#24 Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Bumping this from the dead, because I actually just picked up KW V1's for a great price. I think there are more options out there now under the $2k range that are decent. Now my dilemma is picking camber plates or Whiteline Com-C strut mounts which is just the Group N rubber with a bearing design.

Oh yea, and I will be doing a mix of daily driving and HPDE type events. So would like the best of both worlds.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#25 Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM

Garage
Am I missing where they actually tell you the springrates for those things? They look like complete garbage. I've never heard of "optimally pre-set" as a feature on a set of coils before.

#26 Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Am I missing where they actually tell you the springrates for those things? They look like complete garbage. I've never heard of "optimally pre-set" as a feature on a set of coils before.
KW1s are ok. They just don't offer the same level of adjustability (no damping/rebound adjustment) and thus are not particularly coilovers I'd take to the track. Tein Basics don't offer it either but the quality and setup of the KWs are much better. The ST coilovers mentioned earlier are KW V1s without the stainless steel body

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...de=KW-10245004

Last edited by brfatal; 08-01-2012 at 10:13 AM.
#27 Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I have actually talked to a few people with a few types of vehicles (Subaru and non) run these at HPDE events. They all had great reviews, no complaints. The only complaint I have read was that they needed a rebuild after 50k that KW took care of. I will let you know guys in September when I take the WRX to NJMP.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#28 Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
50K on CO's isn't bad at all.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#29 Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

minorc is an unknown
KW v1 and ST coils are quality.
#30 Old 09-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
awesome info, thanx a ton. you just cleared up my suspension misconceptions,......
If I were to switch to STi suspension, where would I benefit mostly, and will it give me a slight change of stance?
Thanx again....CHEERS!!!
I never answered this question, sorry. The STi suspension is basically just a straight upgrade. The spring rates are higher, the struts are much better, and the combination will improve handling considerably. The stance will change slightly. The 04 STi front springs are considerably lower than the 02-05 WRX springs, not much height difference in the rear. This gives the STi a little bit more of an angled wedge-type look than the WRX. Having the benefit of owning both an 04 WRX and an 04 STi, the suspension difference is most felt in side to side weight transfers, sudden sharp turns. The WRX's springs will rebound from a short, sharp, turn decreasing the power that can be put to the road. I also think this contributes to some of the understeer comments that were made about the 02-05 WRX when it was new.