COBB Anti-Sway Bar Kit + Sport Springs - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PROImportTuners
  • 1 Post By Vew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
COBB Anti-Sway Bar Kit + Sport Springs

Pushed my new Rex at the track recently and it ran strong. See photos below.

It has some body roll because the spring rates are soft and the front looks like it sits up a bit due to the higher cut of the fender. It soaks up uneven track surfaces well though.

I compiled a photo of my former '09 STi with it on the same corner and they have the same stance in that corner. The STi was stock too.

Now that I know what the stock WRX suspension feels like when it's pushed hard, I'd like to tighten the handling up a notch. It's still a daily driver so my goals are modest, and the COBB gear below seems to be a good fit:

1. Subaru sport Springs 04-07 STI Sedan / WRX, and
2. Subaru 02-07 WRX Front & Rear Anti-Sway Bar Kit.

Am I on the right track with these improvements?

I participate in a couple Nav Rallies, AutoX and Time Attack each year for fun (6 or 7 events max).

Springs have a 1.25" drop front and 1" rear, and progressive spring rates of 195 lbs/in front and rear.
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 07-11-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Add spring specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
I think you're on the right track.

Sway bars (or more accurately "anti sway bars" like you mentioned) are a great way to reduce "Body roll" in turns without reducing ride quality for the most part. Since Subarus have a tenancy to understeer a bit at the limit due in part to camber change and tire contact patch "Rolling over", you can promote more neutral handling characteristics by increasing swaybar stiffness.

Cobb Makes great products I'm sure their swaybars will work well for you. (We don't stock them but can special order them if you like).

We also stock Swaybars from Eibach and Whiteline which are also excellent. You can check out some more of the details here: Subaru Impreza Sway Bar

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cheney is an unknown
Your gonna also want to upgrade your endlinks while your at it. Get cobb if you can find them i've heard they are discontinuing them. Whiteline and perrin endlinks would also be good choices.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The COBB springs lower the WRX too much.

What do you guys think about the Eibach PRO- or SPORT-PLUS kit instead? The drop is 30mm front and 20mm rear, which is about perfect, and I expect the anti-roll bars to be matched with the springs when sold as a performance package.

PRO-PLUS / SPORT-PLUS (Step 1+2) | performance-suspension.eibach.com
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX

Last edited by LW_Black4; 07-29-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Add drop.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If your not upgrading your struts i would recommend either prodrive blues or epic engineering springs. The blues have been discontinued though. Those two choices will work well with oem struts. Most all others will wear them out prematurely and aren't a good match to them.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
The Eibach Pro-Kit works well with stock struts. Eibach engineers the rate and the lowering range specifically with customers that use stock shocks in mind.

Eibach also offers the springs and sways together as a "Pro-Plus" package which will save you a bit of money.

Here's the Pro-Plus kit on our site: Eibach Pro-Plus Suspension Kit 12 11 10 09 08 07 06 Subaru Impreza

Feel free to PM me, or contact our customer care department for a special forum member discount!

Toll Free: 1-888-9-PRO-TUNERS
Email: customercare@proimporttuners.com
LW_Black4 likes this.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
post #7 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
The COBB springs lower the WRX too much.

What do you guys think about the Eibach PRO- or SPORT-PLUS kit instead? The drop is 30mm front and 20mm rear, which is about perfect, and I expect the anti-roll bars to be matched with the springs when sold as a performance package.

PRO-PLUS / SPORT-PLUS (Step 1+2) | performance-suspension.eibach.com
IIRC, Eibach sells matching shocks to go with their springs too. I know this has been beaten to death in the past, but here goes my 2 cents. When you lower your car, you lower the center of gravity which is desirable in terms of handling. However, without matching shocks, you run the risk of an imbalanced spring/shock combination. This could cause weird oscillations that will impair handling. With a large drop, this can easily outweigh and gains from a lower center of gravity.

Explained here Lowering Springs misconception
If you decide to read it, please read it all because BigSky also clears up some of my incorrect conclusions from the beginning of the thread.

Your goal is to lower it a little to gain the benefits of a lower center of gravity, but not so much where the oscillations of having a mismatch spring/shock combination and change in geometry to negativity effect your handling that it cancels out or outweighs the lower center of gravity benefits. There isn't a definitive height and drop where anyone I have seen has determined the best compromise, but there are general guidelines out there. IIRC, some where laid out by BigSky in that link I posted above. (I'm at work so I'm not going to go thru it all again)

But let's be honest here, I lowered my car because our wheel gap looks like crap. I did the rest of the suspension mods for the better handling.

edit: ok, i did go back and skim it. he did give some recommendations on the last page of that thread.
LW_Black4 likes this.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
Your goal is to lower it a little to gain the benefits of a lower center of gravity, but not so much where the oscillations of having a mismatch spring/shock combination and change in geometry to negativity effect your handling that it cancels out or outweighs the lower center of gravity benefits.
Nice add, Vew. I'm getting more knowlegable with each post.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX