Changing brake fluid - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-08-2005, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Changing brake fluid

I was planning on replacing the stock brake hoses with stainless steel brake lines while I was doing that I figured I should changed the brake fluid with synthetic brake fluid. I was planning on doing a few small mods, nothing major to improve the pedal feel. My question is, what do you need to do to change the fluid and flush the system. I was told you open the master cylinder, take out as much of the fluid as you can, then start bleeding the brakes. After a little bit you add the synthetic fluid and continue bleeding the brakes until the new fluid comes out. Is that how it is done?? If so what stops the brake fluids from mixing together?? If they do mix together, does it matter??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
If you switch to synthetic (DOT 5 i think?) then you have to fully flush the system first. Also note that fully synthetic brake fluid needs to be changed more often since it doesn't have as high of a resistance to corrosion as regular brake fluid.

As for the actual procedure, I don't know because I haven't done it yet, but let me know if ya find out because I'm going to do it eventually.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#3 Old 02-08-2005, 11:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
It would be a lot easier to go to Super Blue or Motul fluid. Super Blue is the easiest because of the color change.

I suggest you get a set of speed bleeders. Greatest invention ever! Oakos Automotive sells them (you can find the vendor on clubwrx.net)

If you empty the master cylinder typically you are supposed to "bench" bleed it before bleeding the lines. So if you go the synthetic fluid route it will cost more and be more work.
#4 Old 02-13-2005, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to AZ-Scoob
I use a vacuum bleeder to do the brakes on my customers cars, it hooks up to an air compressor, creates a vacuum in a container to suck out the fluid. very fast to do, about 20 minutes to do a full system. a manual vacuum bleeder from the snap-on guy is around 70 bucks, my air powered one runs around 170 bucks, a bit much to spend for a tool unless you use it often. I use mine at least once a day at work.

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
#5 Old 12-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Is dot5 silicone fluid ok to use.The only place in town to get good fluids is a hot rod shop and thats all they have.doing 30k tune up and just want to upgrade.