Subaru WRX Forum banner

Brembo Slotted Rotor/Ceramic Pads/Stainless Lines 05' WRX

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jwtarbaj 
#1 ·
Car: 2005 Subaru WRX with about 60,000 miles.

Setup: OEM replacement Slotted rotors all around
Ceramic Pads
Stainless Lines
Synthetic fluid

I have recently installed a whole new setup for my brakes. My stock rotors were going to shit and I got quoted from Subaru at 1100 to do the whole job. So I took it upon myself to get better parts and install for way cheaper. Anyway, my problem is I now have a grinding noise when I brake semi hard to hard. Everything was installed correctly, bled the lines and it now has all new synthetic brake fluid going through the stainless lines. I have ceramic pads all the way around with the OEM replacement Brembo Slotted rotors. I am at a loss for why this is happening. I have observed the rotors for wear and they look fine, no grooves. I want to take the tires off to have a look inside. Any ideas why this would be happening. When I brake slowly with minimal pressure I do not hear the grinding. Its not the kind of grinding you would hear when your pads are out, way more subtle.

Once the job was all said and done I did not hear the noise up until about a month after. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Its the slots in the rotors, it is essentially like a cheese grater, that combined with the ceramic pads (which are harder than stock pads) will give you a grinding noise. It may go away in a few hundred miles or at least be less noticable, you need time to bed the pads into the rotors.

#3 ·
+1. Did you do a proper bedding procedure? Such as (provided by Hawk):

1) After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
2) Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
3) DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4) Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5) After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

B/c I have slotted DBA 4000s and Hawk HPS pads and they are super quiet (I also, used the above procedure).

also look at: DBA Bulletin - Basic Initial Brake Bedding In

#5 ·
By buying those high dollar ceramic brake pads they say how long the pads last cause the pads are most of the time harder than the rotor itself, the best setup is a nice slotted rotor with a softer pad by doing that the pad will wear a little faster and maybe have a little brake dust but it will stop faster than the ceramic pad, i will look for this great website that they have all this testing done so you can watch it,

#8 ·
I fixed the problem! I ended up purchasing softer pads from autozone. They brake really good with the setup. I have heard from a friend that having the Brembo wrx sized rotors, stainless lines, synthetic fluid and pads outperformed the STI's brembo stock setup. Not sure if you all have heard of this. But anyways thank you all for the help. Now on to more suspension upgrades!

#9 ·
I'd say that is quite an exaggeration. The STI Brembo brakes stop the car about 30 feet shorter than the WRX in 70-0 tests(the 4/2 pots on the 06-07 are not as far off this is relating to the 02-05 brakes). Now some of that is the difference in the stock tires (RE92s suck) Pads & fluid are not going to make that big a difference.

The real diffeence is in fade resistance. The WRX brakes will fade pretty quick compared to the STI brakes which are pretty difficult to get hot enough to exhibit fade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.