Subaru WRX Forum banner

Brake troubles, HELP???

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 ·
I'm having brake troubles:

My rotors are warped (serious wobble at hard braking between 60-90mph)... And my pads are down there too.... (45,000 miles) So i get some PowerSlot rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads... I get the caliper and rotor removed and go to replace with new items. Once the pads are in, i realize that because the other pads were so worn down, the pistons had to extend far to make contact onto the old rotor, and now my new pads with full thickness don't allow enough space to fit over the rotors. So what do i do at this point? I can't get the caliper back over the new rotor with the new pads installed.

I'm a brake novice, as you can likely tell... But i really have no idea how to deal with this.. Do i have to bleed fluid off in order to push the pistons back in further? What the though? Add more fluid? I'm lost here folks... Help me out please!!

#2 ·
Whenever I do brakes I use a C-Clamp with a block of wood over the pistons(s) to compress them back into the caliper. Take the cap off your brake reservoir and take precations because if they are out that far it's gonna overflow. Wrap some rags around it to absorb. This is the only method I know to get em back in there. I have done this on every car I've owned. As far as I know it isn't harmful in any way. All the vehicles went on to 100K plus miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.