Brake pads - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
The HPS is really a dedicated "Street" Pad.

It's got much better initial bite than Stock and lasts long but isn't really meant for track use. (Although it works fine for light autocross, weekend canyon driving etc...)

The HP+ or (HP Plus) Is a more aggressive Street/Track compound.

It produces more dust than the HPS and is slightly noisier, but has much higher bite and heat capacity. This pad is best suited for more aggressive driving; Frequent autocross, Light to medium Duty Open track events, Gymkhana etc...

For most people the HPS is the best choice for a daily driver. The HP+ offers higher performance but be prepared for a little more noise and dust than the HPS if used on a street car. (the warm up period isn't really that bad though, my short drive to work is usually enough)
pzr2874 likes this.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thanks for the explanation....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO Import Tuners View Post
The HPS is really a dedicated "Street" Pad.

It's got much better initial bite than Stock and lasts long but isn't really meant for track use. (Although it works fine for light autocross, weekend canyon driving etc...)

The HP+ or (HP Plus) Is a more aggressive Street/Track compound.

It produces more dust than the HPS and is slightly noisier, but has much higher bite and heat capacity. This pad is best suited for more aggressive driving; Frequent autocross, Light to medium Duty Open track events, Gymkhana etc...
Neither of the bolded parts are true, these are just marketing claims. Hawk HPS pads are terrible for performance driving. The overheat quicker than Subaru's OEM pads and give little warning before they do. They are regarded as OE-replacement pads as they only intended to be able to allow 1 or 2 100-0 panic stops before they stop working, which is a general guideline for OE pads. Any fast canyon driving will likely end up with you over the cliff when you find that you have no stopping power after a few braking moves. They are GREAT DD pads and very inexpensive, they just weren't made with performance in mind. I came to this conclusion after setting a set of HPS pads on fire. That said, my gf has a set on her car and they work great for her because the car only sees traffic and regular commuting. If that's what you do with the car, I doubt you will be disappointed.

HP+ are not a track pad either. They will work pretty well in autocross as they take more to overheat than HPSs and thus maintain their bite longer. For competitive open track events on street tires and gymkhana, you might get them to last for a few laps, but they will fade out pretty quickly with repeated high speed braking. HP+s are are the 1st 'true' entry by Hawk as a performance street pad, but are dustier and sometimes louder than some of the alternatives.
man show and PROImportTuners like this.

Last edited by brfatal; 06-05-2013 at 08:53 AM.
#19 Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Sounds like you drive pretty aggressively brfatal!

I was just speaking from my personal experiences, your individual driving style may differ of course and you may experience different results.

I agree that the HPS is best suited for Street driving, but for many people they are fine for autocross and occasional "Sporty Driving" sessions.

The HP+ have also preformed well for me. Although they aren't a dedicated "Track" pad They are perfect for most people's "Dual use" vehicles. It's nice to not have to switch out brake pads at the end of the day before driving home.

I am assuming that the OP wanted a Good street pad for an affordable price which is why I recommended the Hawk pads. If you or any other members are interested in something more aggressive We are always happy to accommodate special orders.

Just Email us if you are interested customercare@proimporttuners.com
brfatal likes this.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#20 Old 06-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I was never able to hit brake fade with HPS pads when I autocrossed. I hit it once on factory pads on mountain roads. Scariest. Experience. Ever.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#21 Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
I was never able to hit brake fade with HPS pads when I autocrossed. I hit it once on factory pads on mountain roads. Scariest. Experience. Ever.

On my original WRX my ABS used to hyper-sensitive. You so much as run over a lone pebble on the road with your brake pedal depressed and ABS went full force crazy ex on you and cut braking power by +80%. THAT was scary. I have no idea how I didn't hit anything.
#22 Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

barthold is an unknown
+1 for the HPS pads (not for track). I liked them better than the OEM pads.
#23 Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
So kind of what I am gathering from all this is that it's just more of a personal preference? Is I am a very aggressive street driver what would you suggest?

P.S. I always go threw pads in 3 months maybe 4 but also I live on a highway where it's all 15 mile up or down hill to get to a true city or my work.
#24 Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

barthold is an unknown
I have the HP+ pads on my WRX now. They definitely rock wrt stopping power. However, they do make noise (bit of a grating noise and some squeaking) when braking. If you come to a stop at a traffic light, people will notice. It doesn't bother me much, but it might bother you. On my other car (Lotus Elise) I have Ferodo 2500 pads, and they are basically silent, other than the occasional squeak. Once I'm done with my HP+ on my WRX, I'm going to try the Ferodo 2500s.

IMHO you never can have enough stopping power.
#25 Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold View Post
On my other car (Lotus Elise) I have Ferodo 2500 pad
One of my dream cars is a lotus Elise

And the noise never bothers me! So what do the hp+ run in price? And the ferodos run in price?
#26 Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan21 View Post
So what do the hp+ run in price? And the ferodos run in price?
Go back to the 1st page... Our vendor has a link.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#27 Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Go back to the 1st page... Our vendor has a link.
Already back on page two and only found the answer to half my question...
#28 Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

barthold is an unknown
Nathan21, some googling will find it for you, I'm sure.
#29 Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold View Post
Nathan21, some googling will find it for you, I'm sure.
Very true there sorry about that haha
#30 Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I use EBC Reds, but thinking about using Ferodo 2500 pads once I have to change them. The Reds take a while bed in to the rotor. But, once they do...they're great pads. Just want to try my options.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae