Brake issue, need input: 2006 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-18-2009, 01:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Brake issue, need input: 2006 WRX

I just installed HPS hawk pads, front and rear. I installed 4 new stock rotors and a set of goodridge g-stop brakelines yesterday afternoon by my local subaru delarship. Anyway its to my understanding that adding the braided brake lines, really gives your brake pedal a firm feel. Also that it makes it very responsive to the touch and that you'll notice very little give before they engage.

Well on my end of the story, my pedal is very spongy, even at normal driving conditions. For example: When I'm driving I can flutter the brake pedal in and out without brakes engaging one bit. When I was embedding my pads it consisted of 6 moderate braking stops and then 2 to 3 hard stops from 45mph. When I performed the hard stop, the brake pedal literally hit the floor (granted it had some pressure behind it, but not a lot). It seems that I have to push about 50% before they start biting. But then have to push to the floor for them to 100% engage.

From my little knowledge of brake systems, I would guess that there is an air bubble in the housing or the lines haven't been properly sealed, however there is no brake fluid leaking out....so thats out of the question.

Long story short, my brake pedal is not firm at all, very soft, and doesn't engage right off the bat. Just is very squishy all day long.

I have a 2006 WRX TR and if anyone has goodridge brakelines on their car I would love to hear from you about them. Also just any advice to as why I have limited pedal response or as to why any of this might be happening. I would greatly appreciate it from anyone if not everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
I am not a break expert but I would agree it does sound like an air bubble or a problem with the master cylinder.
#3 Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Well if Subaru did the brakes take that shit back!!

12.7 @ 109
#4 Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Did Subaru do a brake fluid flush and refill?

If not you definitely need one and refill with snythetic break fluid. As a clean flush/refill with quality synthetic brake fluid will do more for pedal firmness/feel than anything else.
#5 Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I actually just installed a set of Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines on my 07 WRX a few days ago and I noticed a fairly significant improvement in the stiffness of the brake pedal. When I bled the system after the install, I used a Motive one-man brake bleeder which replaces the fluid in the system with new stuff as the old stuff drains. I went around to each corner and opened the bleeder nipples (in the proper drain order listed in the manual) and waited for the new fluid to come out. I used ATE Super Blue brake fluid which is a DOT 4 fluid with a blue tint so it's easy to tell when it starts coming out (they also make it with an amber tint so next time I'll use that). After I did that, everything was nice and stiff. I think maybe you just have a little air in your system and a proper bleed will make everything nice and stiff for you.

John
07 WRX