Subaru WRX Forum banner

Brake bias with lower/stiffer suspension and front rotor choices

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tnot 
#1 ·
I've done a fair amount of research, including the really well-written white papers on StopTech's site, and can't find anything that clearly defines how my car's brake bias is affected with the suspension changes I've made. I'd prefer to keep the car as close to the stock bias setup as possible.

My car is a 2011 WRX sedan. I'm currently running RCE's yellow spring/Bilstein setup with larger adjustable f/r swaybars and Dunlop Star Specs, 235/45/17. I believe that lowering the center of gravity (about 20mm with the RCE setup) reduces rear brake bias, which is probably cancelled out at some level by the stickier tires.

What I'm unsure of is how the higher rear spring rates are affecting brake bias. I've got a Racing Brakes OE Caliper front rotor kit (increases to 12.5" or so, uses the stock front calipers) ready to go on, but something tells me I may be adding too much front bias by doing so, unless the stiffer rear springs/shocks are coming into play at some level.

Can anyone offer any insight into this?

#2 ·
I would say if the rear springs are that much siffer than the fronts, even after both sets are up-rated, then yes, you can be throwing off the brake bias some towards the front.

I would wager though, that the rear springs are stiffer, but so are the fronts so you're overall going to have the same amount of weight transfer forward, if not less, than the oem spring setup. Also, being lower, you have less overall travel so when you really slam on the brakes the nose doesn't dive nearly as far as it would with the oem setup.

Just my thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.