Bigger sway bars - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
I just put the Cusco 22/23/24 adjustable rear on and I am stoked. No more lean in the rear, and no more push. This is an absolute must, and probably the best cheap fix for the handles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to nekard
How much did you pay for the rear sway bar and where did you get it? Someone brought up a good point. If you dont do all the suspension mods, meaning the front and rear strut tower bars, wouldnt this put an undue stress somewhere else on the car that wasnt designed to take it?

2002 Silver WRX
Link Programmable ECU, TurboXS Stainless Steel Turbo-back exhaust, TurboXS BOV Type H, Black Samco Intercooler Hoses, 17x7.5" Rota Steel Grey Subzeros with Kumho Esta 235/45/R17 tiresPioneer Dehp9300
post #3 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
I got it from Cobb and paid $179 I think. As for stress on other parts. I will do end links soon, but everything else is strong enough. Doing or not doing tower bars won't break anything. I'm searching for perfect balance. I believe that with my new rear sway bar. end links and rear strut brace the car is going be dead nuetral. I may go to the 22mm sway bar in the front, in which case I'd crank the rear bar to the 24mm setting, but I'm still not putting a front tower barce on. Remember your rex is all wheel drive, you actually want a little( I stess, a little) flex from the front so it can search for grip. Additionally, not even the WRC cars run a front strut brace on tarmac events.
post #4 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
You have been a great help! Thanks a ton for all your help!

2002 Silver WRX
Link Programmable ECU, TurboXS Stainless Steel Turbo-back exhaust, TurboXS BOV Type H, Black Samco Intercooler Hoses, 17x7.5" Rota Steel Grey Subzeros with Kumho Esta 235/45/R17 tiresPioneer Dehp9300
post #5 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
anytime
post #6 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

BugEyed is an unknown
I think the handling thing depends on your own preference and how you like the car to drive. Do you like the car to push or to be loose? How do you feel about lift-off characteristics?

A couple of basic points first. Don't bother with any changes until you have had the alignment on you car checked first. In the UK this "supposed" to be checked during the PDI, but one subsequent checking by independant garages it is often way out. Changing the toe in and camber will make a significant diffference to handing.

Secondly, the MY02 is a very strong/stiff car (about 2.5 times the old model) and has less need for a strut brace. Most people fit them as eye candy! :roll:. However, don't think Prodrive wouldn't add them to the WRC car if they needed to, but most of the structural strength for that come from the roll cage (which has some massive bracing under the dash).

If you can take some (more) lift of oversteer (opps, looseeness your side of the Atlantic?), then uprating the rear sway bar is a good mod. STi do thicker non-adjustable bars, as do Whiteline at lower cost. These will give you some tunability as to how much of a change you want and allow you to retune it when you make other mods.

Duncan
post #7 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
I agree. Just the rear bar on my car made a huge difference. I've also heard that when prodrive gets done with a car it's near 200% stiffer than stock, lighter too.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Well I can only assume that prodrive knows that they are doing then. I want a decent ride. The quality of ride is something that I dont want to compromise but I want to be able to take a turn will literaly no body lean. Can it be done? Yes it can. Do I have to sarifice my ride quality?

2002 Silver WRX
post #9 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
Cool thing about swaybars is it effects only roll not ride. If you are not going to touch the springs get the biggest bars you can. If you are going to do springs get the car as nuetral as you can with the smallest swaybar's and adust stiffness with the springs/struts.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Ahh ha good point. But to specificaly answer my question, if I dont touch the springs or struts then I dont really have to worry about the right quality, right?

2002 Silver WRX
post #11 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
correct. If you don't do springs go with the biggest swaybars you can get. At that point any role you get will be in the springs or tires. Bigger bars also make hard braking easier.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
Do you have any clue on the biggest sway bars available right now from anywhere? I dont want to do the adjustable ones because they might be weaker right? Help me out here.

2002 Silver WRX
post #13 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
I've heard someone makes a 24mm bar for the front with a rear adjustable you can crank to 26mm but I have not seen it anywhere or run back into the guy who told me about them. If I was you I would just go with 22mm in the front and a 22/23/24 in the back.
post #14 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
reaguarding weaker. no, not a chance. Especially if you going to use it at max stiffness.
post #15 of 27 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

nekard is an unknown
So the adjustable would be just as effective you are saying. Does anyone one manufacturer make a better sway bar than another? What would be effective but not too big and what is the dissadvantage of having the biggest sway bar possible?

2002 Silver WRX