bent strut - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
bent strut

my clutch ha sbeen toasted for a month and hence i had to drive like a grandma...so i finally did the clutch install myself in my garage with no tranny jack and jack stands . it took me like 12 hours.

today we got a snow storm and i went to try out the new clutch and the see how it is to drive awd in the snow. Needless to say i was too cocky and slid sideways into a curb pretty hard. my rear wheel took the blow but the tire is fine and the rim doesnt seem bent. it looks as if i bent my strut. the bottom of the wheel is like 2 inches closer in to the car then the top of the rim

my question is in the mean time i can replace my sti suspension that i have on the car with my stock one, but is it possible to bend the strut straight or is that not possible??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Your not going to be able to bend the strut straight . if you hit hard enough to bend the strut, chances are something else is bent.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Probably bent the rear crossmember too. I did that to my grey 06 wrx. (Read:RE92/RE93s suck in the snow). Yes, it was a TR. Heres some pics from my horrible encounter with the curb. These pics were after the snow melted. You can see that the rear wheel wasn't tracking right. I had a flatbed tow it. This was on a on-ramp with 3+ inches of slush and snow. I spun it out and hit the curb. Just about a year ago and it's my old car. I had it repaired by a high quality body shop that wouldn't return it to me until 4 weeks of searching as to why it still wasn't tracking right and swapping parts. The last thing they changed was the crossmember. I would've kept it after dropping that much into fixing it right. But, I couldn't resist the STI envy anymore.
Attached Images

#4 Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

how much did it all cost?
#5 Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Good lord...I forget. I'd have to dig out my old bills. Insurance covered some of it. But, it wasn't cheap. The Claims adjuster pretty much took everything that wasn't right and fixed it. They even got rid of all my paint chips. Haha. So, I think it was over 3k total. It was under comprehensive coverage...because it wasn't a collision with another vehicle or insured property. I only paid my deductable plus some charges for tire replacement. Because they found a hunk of tire was missing. The biggest part of the bill was all the labor of them trying to figure out why they couldn't get a proper 4 wheel alignement and swapping out parts.

Edit: Didn't go looking for the bill. But, I know they did the following: replaced the rear bumper clips, fill scratches and chips in the paint, clear coat what they painted, replaced two rims because of them both being rashed/curbed, replaced the rear tire, and replaced the rear crossmember. Not sure, but they might've replaced the lower a brace or something like that and bushings. Whatever that lower piece is called...because it was only out of alignment a little bit. Like less than a 1/2 of a inch, can't remember. But, it wasn't off by a lot and they wouldn't return it until the alignment was back to factory spec.
#6 Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

well i went to the dealer today. i thought i had bent my trailing arm and lateral links which would have been nice because then i could of replaced them with some nice aftermarket ones. it turns out that those are fine but the knuckle is bent which means it has to be replaced along with the hub and bearing. has anyone else had to replace this?...where di you get it from? i searched nasioc and cant seem to find any. i am going to go look in junkyards tommorow. its the right rear knuckle
#7 Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

update on the strut, i did end up bending the knuckle/hub. luckily i found a replacement knuckle/hub/bearing on nasioc from a 2003 wrx that was in an engine fire. i bought it for 40$ and was able to do the work myself in a couple of hours. alot better then the $1000 the dealer quoted me for.

here are a couple of pics of how the car looked before i fixed it.
DSC01860 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC01856 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC01857 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC01858 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by 04paulieWRX; 01-15-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: picture failure
#8 Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

wow...yeah, that's a whole totally different type of damage then what i had.