Subaru WRX Forum banner

AutoX set up suggestions?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  03sonicyWrX 
#1 ·
So i'm looking at a new set of wheels and tires for autocross and im stuck on what to do size wise. I really want to keep 17's so i can drop the car alittle more then i can with 18's. I have a set of tein coilovers on the car (03 wrx) and my question is do you guys think i'd be OK running 17x9 rota DPTs? The offset is 42 on them and im just wondering if this will work with no rubbing issues. Like i said i'd like to stick to 17's because i'd like to get the car pretty low. The tires i'd be running are Gforce kdw2 245/40/17 if possible. Any opinions on this setup? If you guys have a better setup that youd recommend please let me know!!

#2 ·
How much do those weigh? If I were you and trying to improve your auto-x times/experience I would look at something substantially lighter. I run Enkei RPF-1s (17x8, 15.6lbs each). I noticed slightly better acceleration and decceleration over my previous rims (Rota Boost 17x8 ~19 lbs each) with the same rubber on them both.

#3 ·
You don't need 9" of wheel width for 245 wide tires! +42 is not subaru friendly, at least not with stock fenders. Look, if you're not going for 265 or 275 wide tires, you don't need 9" of width. What you DO need is OFFSET.

17x8" +48
245/40/17

if you have more money, you can track down a 17x8.5" +48 (or higher) set. They're getting hard to find in 5x100 though. You can't have mine ;)

Also, I enjoyed my set of KDW2's but I would not recommend them for auto-x. They get greasy. Check out the Dunlop Star Specs or Hankook v12 evo's. They're way cheaper too.

I don't think wheel weight is a major factor for auto-x, especially if you're not even factoring in the tire (which is heavier than the wheel in most situations).

#4 ·
What class are you running?
what suspension mods do you have?

Dont even bother with the 245's, if you have 9 inch wide rims, go 275 and if you are not running STX and you want to win, go with either Hoossiers or Khumo Ecsta V710. Here is a shot of mine with the V710's 275 on 17x8 +49 (yes 8, I know...) Rotas...

I also have Tein Flex C/O and have no rubbing issues...

#5 ·
Thanks alot for the info! And mosc i've noticed 17x8.5 are tricky to find in the 5x100, actually that's what i really was interested in! Oh well ill settle for a nice set of 17x8 with most likely some dunlops! I'll post a picture up once i get them on the car! Being as it's still winter it may be alittle! Also im selling my old SSR comps 18x7.5 id have to double check the offset. but im selling the set for 400 ( owner before me beat them up a bit) But if anyone is interested let me know and i'll shoot ya some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.