Anyone have coilovers? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

elgorey is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to elgorey
Does anyone have coilovers or their wrx? How adjustable is the ride height? Does it go as high or higher than stock?

I would love a set of coilovers, but I want to be able to rallyX as well as road race, so Im looking for a set with a good amount of adjustability. Does such a set even exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

sammy is an unknown
I heard th teins go 2" up or 2.5" down.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

hoats is an unknown
Rally suspension and street suspension are two completely different set-ups. From what I've seen, rally suspension is very costly. I presonally have never tried to rally with any coilover set-up I've had in the past and don't think it would be a wise move.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

elgorey is an unknown
well I know DMS Golds are built to rally, and they fit the bill with heighting and lowering, but I was hoping for some alternatives other than the DMSs
post #5 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

elgorey is an unknown
Well after doing some more research, the DMS 40s are more of a street/road setup than rally. Which is fine with me because after my RallyX incident I wont be rallying my WRX anyway (getting a 1g DSM for that)
The default spring rates for the DMS 40s are a little soft, so make sure you get 225s all around if you go with DMS.
It looks like I will be getting the Cusco Zero 2R. They are actually a pretty good deal considering you can get them for around $1900, and they are a full race lightweight top of the line coilover with pillowball mounts in front and solid mounts in rear (DMS doesnt come with mounts). The only drawback is the backbreaking spring rates (500in/lb in front)
so I am trying to see if I can get something in the low 300s
post #6 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

phast is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phast
Nadeem,
The TEIN coilovers for the wagon only offer height adjustability. You can't change the dampening.

And welcome to the club

-jay
02 wrx wagon
VF30 and NAWZ powah!
post #7 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nadeem is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Nadeem
Thanks alot, This is a great board... Very informative and friendly. I'm glad I joined....

2002 WRX, Silver, Brand New, mods to come
post #8 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

elgorey is an unknown
no problem
welcome to the board
post #9 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nadeem is an unknown
Coilovers

I'm also looking for a set of coilovers. You say that DMS Golds are built for rally. How well are they going to perform in a street application? I'm also looking at the Cusco Zero's and the Tein HR's. How would people rate these coilovers in terms of quality or bang for your buck.? Also, does anyone know why the Tein's for the Wagon ae being sold for under a grand at vividracing.com. That sounds cheap to me; one for coilovers, but especially for Tein's. Am I missing something? How good are the Tein's?

Thanks,

Nadeem

post #10 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nadeem is an unknown
Coilovers

If I'm not going to Rally or AutoX my Rex, but I just want a well performing suspension for regular street driving, is the 180 spring rate sufficient. They say that the 180s performs better than the stock suspension and actually rides more comfortable. That sounds pretty appealing to me. On the other hand, if Iget the 225s setup, how much ride quality am I really sacrificing from the stock suspension. If it isn't significant then I'd go with the 225s. Thanks for the info... I appreciate it...

post #11 of 11 Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

elgorey is an unknown
Coilovers

Quote:
Originally posted by "Nadeem"

If I'm not going to Rally or AutoX my Rex, but I just want a well performing suspension for regular street driving, is the 180 spring rate sufficient. They say that the 180s performs better than the stock suspension and actually rides more comfortable. That sounds pretty appealing to me. On the other hand, if Iget the 225s setup, how much ride quality am I really sacrificing from the stock suspension. If it isn't significant then I'd go with the 225s. Thanks for the info... I appreciate it...
It sounds like the DMS Gold 40s is what you are looking for then.
It sounds like you should go with the 180s, you can firm up the suspension nicely by increasing the dampening. If you arent autoXing or tracking your car, then there really isnt much of a point to getting the 225s