3Likes
  • 1 Post By titter
  • 2 Post By titter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mikem240 is an unknown
All weather tires for winter

Hello all, I am driving a 2016 Wrx Prem.
I live in Anchorage and have ordered a set of Hankook all weather tires to finish off this winter. Just want some feedback on anyone who has used all weathers on their wrx/sti in snow and or ice and what I can expect. I don't need comments on to get winter dedicated tires as that is not an option right now and just need them to last me another 1-2 months before I leave over seas.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-17-2016, 07:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
well sorry you're gonna get some.

all weather tires DO NOT work on any kind of snow and ice. please for the safety of yourself and everyone around you. get winter tires if you live in an area that actually sees winter.

the molecular compound in the rubber of all season tires it not made for snow and ice and do not provide any traction what soever. all wheel drive or not, when you slam on the brakes because some asshole cut you off and go skidding into a ditch (or into his bumper) you'll wish you had winter tires.

your new car is upwards of 30grand.... spend an extra few hundred dollars on proper winter tires. and no you cant "just take it slow". then youre impeeding traffic, which is also illegal and very dangerous in winter conditions. you dont even need expensive ones. any generic brand winter tire will do as long as they are a winter compound rubber.

cheers!

*edit*
i'll answer your question and tell you what to expect. you can expect to rear end someone or end up in a ditch if driving on snow and ice with all season tires. take it from the canadian. the best AWD system in the world wont help you stop on snow & ice
Fidrat likes this.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 01-18-2016 at 06:56 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Ive been lucky and unlucky enough to drive the Dunlop stockers on ice. Its like ice skating wearing vans. Control is almost none and grip is following closely behind. On fresh snow the stockers did pretty well but you could really feel where the road had frozen over and I wouldnt have anyone do that for any length of time. AWD is great for helping you get moving and stay moving but if you know there will be ice on the road and you are choosing an "all season" ( read : no-season ) tire compound then you are choosing to be a road hazard for other drivers. If budget is your concern then I would look into a set of general brand ice tires, they go for something like $60 a corner. You could wrap them on steel rims for about $300 total and be much safer on the road than your all seasons.

I know you dont want to hear that you need snow tires but in Alaska thats the price if driving between November and March.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast

post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2016, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
LOL i assume everyone is south of me being canadian. guess i better learn my american geography

this guys is in alaska and asking about non winter tires? wow im stunned... i dont even know what to say. how can u even for a second think you dont need winter tires? you know its a law in over half the canadian provinces right? its like that for a reason. i was being nice in my response assuming you lived somewhere that sees winter for like a month out of the year. please do everyone a favor and sell your car and take the bus. everyone will be safer. how do you think for a second you can live in alaska and not have winter tires? do you drive a tank? no you drive a brand new subaru your just going to wreck. i just so hope you dont hurt anyone else in the process.
Fidrat and stemp661 like this.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Ok up here in NH it snows pretty bad and I went 3 years on summer tires that went bald for the last year and made it through every storm no problem. That was on a FWD car. So an AWD system will do A LOT better. But it is still not a perfect system.

That being said should if you drive accordingly with the equipment you have installed on the car you should be ok. Take it easy and know when it might not be the best time to drive. But if anything requires you to be mobile in the harsh times it would be best for you and everyone else if you found alternative tires for the conditions.

05 WRX Wagon - 409 AWHP / 334 WTQ Wicked Matt Tuned
post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2016, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is a helpful contributing member
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec, for summer.
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, for winter.
Any all-season (no-season) tires are for your mom's car.(unless your mom is awesome!)

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-24-2016, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

clamer is an unknown
If you are looking for a all weather tire that is affordable and reliable, I would recommend Motivo by Nitto tires, and for snow tires SN2.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

stemp661 is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
LOL i assume everyone is south of me being canadian. guess i better learn my american geography

this guys is in alaska and asking about non winter tires? wow im stunned... i dont even know what to say. how can u even for a second think you dont need winter tires? you know its a law in over half the canadian provinces right? its like that for a reason. i was being nice in my response assuming you lived somewhere that sees winter for like a month out of the year. please do everyone a favor and sell your car and take the bus. everyone will be safer. how do you think for a second you can live in alaska and not have winter tires? do you drive a tank? no you drive a brand new subaru your just going to wreck. i just so hope you dont hurt anyone else in the process.
Titter you know they make tank tracks for our cars right? thats a thing!

also please see pretty much all the above messages about your winter tire concern. don't be cheap about it be safe. If you like i would highly recommend a set of Michelin AS3 for winter and summer use. they are higher end and can do the job. at least where normal people live they can. I have no exp in Alaska so im just gonna assume everything is 20x more extreme.....

HEY, HEEEEY I AM WAIVING!!!!! WAIVE BACK!
post #9 of 9 Old 01-26-2016, 11:53 AM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec, for summer.
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, for winter.
Any all-season (no-season) tires are for your mom's car.(unless your mom is awesome!)
I'm pretty impressed with my Pirelli sottozero 3 set through this blizzard. They're reasonable enough snow tires for the worst of public roads and far better in winter but dry conditions than Blizzak tires. Mostly went with them because they were available V rated in 245/45R17 which is an odd size for a snow tire so maybe they cost more in your size but check em out.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD