ALK and SCCA - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exarch is more helpful than not
ALK and SCCA

I've been reading around and building a list of stuff to get when I purchase the new car.

Amongst these things is an Anti-Lift Kit.

My goals for the car is to do a chunk of mods to put the car solidly in it's Street Touring class then go race on the weekends.

As one of the potential downsides with this, it has been repeated a few times that the installation of an ALK would bump the car into a prepared class (which one wasn't stated) as opposed to many other mods which land you in the touring class.

Last night I read a *great* chunk of the SCCA handbook and didn't find anything listing caster-only devices (such as an ALK) specifically allowed or dissallowed in any of the classes at all, save the my-car-is-so-race-it's-not-street-legal prepared classes. The closest thing they ever get to caster adjustments is by saying that if your camber plates give the car caster too, that's cool by them.

Would one of the SCCA know-it-alls clue in a noob as to where the ALK falls in the SCCA jumble, I just can't seem to find it.

Note: If I've stuck this in the wrong forum *please* move it to where it belongs, I figured thsi would be most relevant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
Anti-Lift Kit are not STS/STX legal, I think you are looking at the F-Prepared class. You might want to look at offset bushings instead, they serve the same purpose as the ALK but don't change the mounting points.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I believe you are going to be in the street prepared class. I think this is a great class, as it allows stage 2, most average suspension parts, catless, and several other mods. Stock internals, stock turbo.

Texas Region SCCA Solo Autocross

This is the texas region classing but it's still SCCA.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #4 of 9 Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for the info, good to know I can just use offset bushings to get more caster. It also appears to be generally legal to mount camber plates in the shock towers at an angle in order to get more caster, but that's kind of a gimp way of doing it in my opinion, as you can't set exact caster/camber because one will necessairly affect the other.

I'm still not completely sure of the classing bit, it seems like the SCCA has a general rule book then all the local/state chapters have rules that work along with them. I'll be pulling those up and having a look see.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
It's been a while since I've raced and the rules have changed, but the ALK put me in a higher class then I wanted to be in.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
they should have a forum on your local SCCA chapter and you could probably ask some of the people that eat, live, breath Auto X.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-27-2009, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Asked and learned a bit more about the ALK. Oldfartracer hit it on the head. The reason they aren't legal is beacuse of the whole "Thou shalt not alter thy suspension attach points" bif of the rules.

The only downsides I've seen to the offset bushings is that they don't give much caster change, the whilelines I found on turninconcepts give around half a degree. Of course couple those with a set of camber plates mounted at an angle too and you could probably get another degree or so out of it, and be legal for STX/STU.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Just get some swaybars and a thicker one up front.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I can understand why they put you in a higher class. The handling differences from my whitelines weren't noticeable at first (street driving), until I had a chance to really test them out. They are amazing.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement