Adjustment Bolt on Strut - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Adjustment Bolt on Strut

I replaced a front axle today in my Subaru and noticed one of the bolts that attaches the strut to the steering hub is shaped differently. From what I can gather this seems to be for camber adjustment by spinning the bolt. Is this correct? Does this bolt serve any other purpose?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
That is correct. In order to maintain your alignment when disassembling, you would need to mark its position. If not, you'll need to get your alignment adjusted. It's other purpose is of course to hold the strut to the knuckle.

Cullen
post #3 of 7 Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
That would have been good to know. Is there a way to get it aligned in my driveway?

Mike
post #4 of 7 Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
if your good a trigonometry you can do it yourself quite easily

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2012, 10:47 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I always adjust for max -camber. Turn the bolt until the top of the knuckle goes in as far as it can (it'll start to come back out, as you keep turning) back it up to all the way in and tighten. Repeat the same for the other side to even them up.

You can adjust the toe to zero with a couple of 2"/4"s and a tape measure. I've done mine quite a few times, and have been within .01 degrees even, side to side when I had a chance to get on an alignment rack, or borrow a camber gauge.

You're about an hour and fifteen away from me, if you want to come up tomorrow, I'd be happy to help you set it. I'll be home working on my wagon. I just scored an STI top mount, which is going on. PM if you want directions.

Cullen
post #6 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I'd love to come up but I don't think that's going to happen with the kids. I was wondering if it was acceptable to max the negative camber though. Thanks for your input.
I have to put a new caliper bracket on today because one of the holes got messed up during the install.

Mike
post #7 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Rust sucks

Cullen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement