Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 wrx wheels on 2003? Help Please:)

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 wrx, and recently picked up a set of 2011 wrx 17x8 wheels for a steal. Now, I am trying to figure out the optimal way to set these up on my car. The new wheels have a 53 offset, and they will need more clearance (only checked the rear) to clear the struts, so I will need spacers, and most likely extended wheel studs to fit the lugs securely.

So heres the questions,
Are extended studs nessasary/what kind? (options other than arp?)
What would be the optimal spacer size to use?
I was planning on using 235/45 17in tires (stock) should I consider another size?
Are there any other alternative to make these wheels work (new suspension setup,ect)

Also, trying to stay on somewhat of a budget, so try to keep that in mind

Ive done a fair amount of research on this, and have decided making a post is going to be a lot more helpful for me:p so sorry if this is a repost, but any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't ever recommend wheel spacers, To put it in lamens terms the suspension/axels/bearings iare setup from the factory to have a particular amount of force applied to its individual parts. Adding spacers, even small ones multiplies the forces on the suspension parts by placing the load outside of the intended fulcrum. That means that the load on the suspension, axels, and bearings in particular is increased tremendously. I have seen too many problems to recommend spacers in general.

If you go that route yes you will need extended studs, I've used ARP studs as replacements for OEM in the past and they work great. some spacres have studs built in and wouldn not require new studs but I would rather have them and not need them than the other way around. I aslo dont like the color of the ARP studs but paint is cheap and colored lugs solves that issue

DONT USE A SPACER , again if you are going that route perrin makes some that dont require replacement lugs.

On the 09-13 235/45 r17 works well. If you want better performance start with your suspension setup then you can look into the extremes of tire sizes.

Honestly IMHO turn around and sell the wheels for a profit, then take the money you made and buy a set of wheels with the proper offset for your WRX. There is a huge market for new or like new OEM parts. offloading the wheels for a profit should be easy then you kinda get your pick of the litter for wheels, Depending on how you drive a set of ROTAs are always nice

#3 ·
Well, if you do go the spacer route: Depending on how much clearance you need, You might need the spacers with their own set of studs in them, plus low profile lugs. If you get hub centric spacers then you should not have any issues. The spacer should be hub centric to the hub and the wheels should be hub centric to the spacers.

#6 ·
Im pretty sure he said that the rears were rubbing on his struts(Coilovers?) +53 is the stock for the 2013 and I think +55 for the 2003 ( from google) That shoudlnt be close enough to rub unless OP has an aftermarket suspension setup to begin with

#7 ·
They shouldn't.

17x8 +53 - 6.59" of backspacing.
18x8.5 +48 - 6.64" of backspacing

18x8.5 +48 is a very common fit on GD Imprezas.

GR STI wheels (18x8.5 +55) clear without hitting GD struts and have less strut clearance than either of the above options.

Just saying.

#14 ·
There's no way that tire hits a factory strut unless something has gone seriously wrong with your suspension. It is a little tall, I'd tell you to replace that tire with 235/40R17 rather than 235/45R17 when you get the opportunity.

Guys have run 245/40R18 18x8.5 +55 on GD sedans. That's the stock 08+ STi size. That tire's too tall for that kind of width and offset but 235 +53 is not going to break anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.