Subaru WRX Forum banner

2010 wrx options

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
soon to purchase a blue 2010 wrx. still not sure whether to hatchback or not to hatchback. :confused: but anyway.

planning on running gold o.z. ultraleggera 17x8 wheels and 225/45/17 yoko advan ad08's.(live in the middle of south carolina so winter weather isnt a big deal to call for all seasons.)
not in the mood to ruin the warranty so i wont do any major mods but with the wheels n' tires i was wanting to get an opinion on these.

when spec'ing out the wrx on subaru's website they offer a

short throw shifter
rod pitching stopper
front tower brace
and a lower chassis brace.

should i go with those or is the factory stuff worthless and i should put my money into aftermarket gear?

thanks!

#2 ·
I only got the Short-throw...I dont even recall that other stuff being offered when I bought mine. But are they SPT stuff? Short-throw shifter is worth it. Ive had no problems with it. I dont really know that much of a difference between short shifters, other than COBB TUNING has a shifter that your can adjust the shift length and height..seemed cool. If that stuff isnt that expensive, like price comparision, Id go with it man. See what others say tho too.

Pre-mature congradulations on buying your subie too.!Thumbs Up

#3 ·
thankyou!

yeah its all spt stuff so i think i'll go with it. regards the short throw though. its 300$ :eek:

and only like 75$ on on perrin plus the perrin is adjustable like the cobb.. kind of weary about cobb stuff though.. read there rear sway bar is junk so i think i'll stick with perrin stuff. looking at there endlink and sway bar package, aswell as the anti lift kit.

thanks for the input!

#4 ·
I run the Cobb TBE, short shifter, shift knob, intake w/box, and the AP. Now I dont have the sways yet, but my shop either recommeds them, hotchkis, or whiteline as far as sway bars go (now maybe this is only based on the 02-07), but I have seen more issues with the Perrin sways over the Cobb bars.

Also as far as the short shifter goes, if its anything like the 02-07 subies, IMHO is utter garbage. Go with Cobb, Perrin or Kartboy, and dont forget to add front and rear bushings with it, or you will still have some of that "slop" in your shifting.

#6 ·
thankyou all for the input.

from what i can tell cobb doesnt make a short shift for the 08-10 wrx's, really all they make is a rear sway bar and ecu tuning. not going with perrin now per your suggestions. this is what ive got lined up thus far.

factory options
sti rod pitching stop
sti engine mounts
sti trans mount
spt front tower strut
spt chassis strut

o.z. ultralagerra 17x8's
yoko advan ad08's 225/45/17

hawk ceramic brake pads (mabye HP+'s if i'm feeling spritely)
goodridge stainless brake lines

k&n filter
brisk silver racing spark plugs

kartboy short throw kit(includes bushings)

whiteline F+R 22/20mm swaybars
kartboy F+R endlinks
and some various whiteline chassis bushings

thats the list for now.. i forgot to mention that this is going to be a Daily Driver so i dont want it to be bone shattering hard which is why im not going for coilovers and uber stiff sway bars n' so on.

Thankyou.

#8 ·
factory options
sti rod pitching stop
sti engine mounts
sti trans mount
These were some of the first things I did, b/c otherwise it feels like the transmission is attached with rubber bands.

I drove the '10 STI, and '10 WRX back to back a few weeks ago. Then I got in my car and it honestly felt a lot like the STI. The WRX shifter was ridiculously long and cushy, and the ride felt like pillows were stuffed in the wheel wells.

I see you're going with the Hawk pads. I'm installing these tomorrow along with DBA slotted rotors. My brakes are toast at 34k. My advise might be to wait until stuff wears out to replace rather than doing it all at once. My tires were bald at 30k, and that's when upgraded the wheels/tires.

Just make sure you don't spend 10k on all your mods, otherwise you may as well get the STI.

#7 ·
Sounds like a pretty rounded out list you have picked out there. If you areinterested in the Cobb like shifter check these guys out:MODE Racing One of the owners/guys that work here used to work for Cobb making the airbox/intake and short shifter (things like that). When Cobb stopped making the products he left and got the designs and right to manufacture the parts again under the new name.

#11 ·
Stock 08/09 wrx wheels are heavy. Heavier then the 18" BBS on the stis. I don't know the exact weight, but my cheap 17" discount tire wheels/tires seem lighter then the 08 wrx wheels.

#12 ·
According to BoostAddict on page 38 of his thread, the OEM wheel weighs in at 23.2 lbs each.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/boost-addicts-08-wrx-project-24991/index38.html

He also runs the Perrin sways and endlinks with his 08 and has not said anything about fitment or noise issues people have had on previous generation cars with the Perrin products. I take that as a good thing- especially with the spirited type of driving he puts his car through.

As for short shifter- I have the SPT one- and compared to stock, it was a required upgrade. I have not had the chance to compare it to a Kartboy or other aftermarket yet though. I am sure I will have to upgrade the bushings once I put more miles on it- currently my car has less than 3k miles on it. Can't wait to get home and drive again!!

-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.