Subaru WRX Forum banner

17's or 18's???????????????

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
Inquiring mind wants to know what you guys are rollin on, and your two cents on what I should get. My car is already lowered and my stock 17's are nice but are 18's to big for our cars? With the tires thinner than stock do you feel the road more, also what is the widest wheel we can roll? Im going to get the konig hotswap's black with red inserts, what do you think?

#10 ·
Well, depending on what kind of 18s you get, you'll accelerate slower because of the increased weight, and the distance of that weight to the center of the rim. Since the majority of the increased weight is located far away from the center of the rim, the weight is further emphasized, meaning your car will have a harder time accelerating. This is why even if you get 18" rims and tires the same weight as stock, you'll still accelerate slower. I noticed this when I got my 17s, and with tires they were only 3 lbs heavier than stock.

#11 ·
Most of all the pro trade magizines reccomend 17/225/45 on a 17"x6.5" or x7"rim. Anything bigger than that is for showing off. You can go with 18/235/55 on a 18"x7.5" rim if ya just gotta' go big. It will make the car handle twitchie and bumpy. Ahh...the price you pay to look good. But it won't hurt or rub anything.

#15 ·
Late to every thread...its how i role WTLW....

No one asked what you're using the car for. you wouldn't use 18's for autox...slows you down too much... wouldn't use them for rallyX because once again they slow you down too much. 18's... look good. I'm very into the 17X8's myself. Good story. sorry for being late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.