06 WRX upgraded rotors/pads - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
06 WRX upgraded rotors/pads

So, I want to upgrade my rotors/pads for my 06 WRX and I have read a decent amount of info, some good and some conflicting. Specifically I would like drilled or slotted rotors, I tend to brake hard(but smooth across the entire time of braking) and at the last possible second. My Dad used to race Porches and he taught me the importance of proper braking, but this "racing style" on the stock rotors and pads is building up mad deposits and I can feel it coming to a stop only around 20 miles an hour. I probably have wonky rotors from my back road mountain driving up in Idllywild when it was 90+ degrees just a few weeks ago.

So, I am looking to save some money to use on other suspension mods because this car will not be tracked(at least for next year or so) nor will it probably ever be in AutoX. So I want something of quality and performance without blowing my wallet out. There are so many different options out there I am kinda lost right now and my Dad won't help with anything that isn't from Germany.

Anyone have any good personnel experiences or know of a good set of rotors and pads that match up well? I really don't care about the overall look, just want a good set up that won't kill me on a curvy cliff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I have AdamsRotors (AdamsRotors.com) double slotted. No issues with them. As for pads, I went with the EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Pads. Less brake dust. They were a little more expensive than the Hawk HPS+ pads that most people run though. My daily commute is 20 miles of windy roads right next to a creek and they have fared well.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#3 Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You are aware that the street is not a race track right? Your dad teaching you last second braking has nothing to do with street driving.
#4 Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
last moment braking is for when people pull out in front of you and things of that nature. Not to be mistaken with "hey, look how horrible I can drive on a daily basis" driving.
If your not tracking the car regularly than you just need slightly better than stock/or stock quality brake parts.
If your tracking it, than that's when you really need to sink the money in those places along with upgraded suspension.....thousands of dollars later.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
Come drive in California and you will understand where I am coming from. By last minute, I think you are wrongly interpreting what I was trying to say, I don't brake with only a few feet left. I dont put anyone around me in danger. Anyways, I appreciate your concerns, dually noted...

I believe I have the info, on brakes/pads, I was asking for. I'll probably not go so crazy on rotors/pads and upgrade the lines and other stuff.
#6 Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
10-4, try NYC or centre Philly

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#7 Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

FreeDiRo is an unknown
I used to live Boston(didn't drive too much around NY or Philly) where they don't stop for sirens and literally, I mean literally, will run you off the road for no driving fast enough.

Californians are notorious for braking unnecessarily on freeways, around simple turns on the freeway, braking way way too early for red lights/stop signs, or just not noticing anything at all going around them.