Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 WRX, my idea of a spring/strut combo...

10K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Rooki3 
#1 ·
What I was thinking -and I want all the info yall have on this to make the right decision and not mess up my suspension- I was thinking of the Swift Sport springs, I have only heard good things about them and then some KYB GR-2 struts.

Also is it okay to ride the stock struts with lowering springs because I was just thinking bout doing that for a bit and wait till the stock struts go to crap and then get the GR-2's...

As well I heard I'm going to need rear camber bolts, is this a neccesity and how much do they run usually?

I'm not looking to spend a pile of dough to get this done so what's the best way. Please give me all your info I've been reading about suspension for a long time and I know anyway I look at it dropping the car enough to get rid of most of the front wheel gap is not going to be fun.

#3 ·
you can run those springs on stock struts, the struts just won't be very useful. It'll be like they're broken. And you will break them in that setup in a few thousand miles anyway.

Make sure you get the swift "black" or "yellow" springs, the other ones are junk. Neither are good for your stock struts, but won't kill your car to use in the short term. Especially if you're going to junk your stock struts anyway.

You don't need camber bolts. They're not expensive though, and do help.

#6 ·
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. Swift does make good springs as well (and crappy ones). The "good" swift springs are called "Spec-R". They make another set I forget the name of that have way too much drop.

#8 ·
I think the swift "sport" springs (the ones you originally mentioned) are the really low ones that you probably shouldn't use. They don't have near enough springrate for that ride height. You're better off with the RCE's or with the swift "Spec-R".

And make sure you get a good alignment. Don't just take it somewhere that charges you $40 and will make it go straight. If you go to the place and they don't ask you what specs you'd like, you probably should take it somewhere else. When they ask how much negative camber you want, remember the correct answer is "all of it" for factory bolts. -1.5 deg if you can get it. If you ever plan to head to the twin cities, there's a really really great alignment guy you should probably hook up with. Guess you're on the wrong side of the state for that though.

#9 ·
The swift sports are very good springs. I am running them with KYB GR2s, whiteline RCA kit, saggy butt spacers, and shorter bumpstops (TIC sells them). I love my setup, it handles very well while still having a comfortable ride.

+1 on the good alignment, as it makes a big difference. My advice to you is to contact Tony/Clint of TIC, b/c they are the real suspension gurus and will put together a package that suits your needs.

- Turn in Concepts

#10 ·
Swift sport springs are made to lower, not to improve performance. Swift Spec-R springs are made to improve performance, not to lower. That's basically the difference. TiC, for example, doesn't even sell the sports.

#11 ·
Actually TIC does sell the Swift Sports:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_490_509_799&products_id=424

They do lower a bit (1" front, 0.8" rear), but nothing excessive like the Tein S-techs. The suspension remains in it's usable stroke and they do improve handling over stock.

While I do agree some Dspecs and RCE Blacks would handle better, not everyone AutoXs. Swift Sports and GR2s make a fun DDer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.