Subaru WRX Forum banner

Wrx My2002 Gear Box

9K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  VTrider36 
#1 ·
Hi.
I was wonder how much HP can handle serial WRX MY 2002 gearbox ???
I'm mouting TD05H Big 16G turbo and looking for some details what turbo boost should I set on my ECU to don't blow gearbox ?
BURi

#3 ·
TQ is more the question. Well, TQ and shock loading. There are SEVERAL threads on this so look around and you will see that the 2002 gear box is underrated from the factory and will break at factory power levels with aggressive driving habbits.. Even upgrades like RA gears can be broken easily with mderate power levels under hard driving.. Shock loading is much more important then power levels. If you plan to launch hard and beat the piss out of your car then your transmission is going to break. No power upgrades needed, it's going to break. PERIOD.. If you drive it right it can hold more power then you will have with a 16g. Granted more TQ = greater shock loads. With that said at around 300whp/tq you can pretty much break it at will.

Trust me. I broke mine twice. LOL.

#8 ·
Can you say....it sheared the teeth right off from TQ. LOL...wow. That's sick. Keep it up phatmike and your trans will send you the check, that or the clutch will take a dump. Mid 03 and later can take some horseplay...just don't abuse it still.

#9 ·
300 whp is a safe statement. But, they way you drive will also come into play. I have seen a 500whp car keep the 03 tranny together for a year. I have also seen a stock 02 blow the tranny. The 04 tannies where a little better than the 02-03. If you are looking to due a lot of beating on your tranny, save uo for PPGs.
I would also stick with a stock clutch if you can't upgrade the tranny.

#11 ·
I'm just about to go stage 2 with my rex and am a little worried about the tranny as well. I also have a heavier clutch which is probably not smart. On the other hand, I don't launch it, race it, or even shift hard. I usually slip it a little under high power. I have had it on for 45000 miles for a stock set up. What you guys think about those full turbo back exhausts on ebay for 250 bucks? Any good?

#12 ·
The traany will be in your hands. If you know how to a WRX and know the limits you should be fine. If you don't then start to save your money. The stock clutch is best if you want to keep your stock tranny. I am well past stage 2 and still run the stock clutch and tranny, slipping is what helps save the tranny.
There is a whole tread, SR*S Catback Exhaust from EBAY PICS and VIDS - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums, about these. They are not bad, but you get what you pay for. They will tend to rust at the welds not fit the best and be loud.

#15 ·
Expect to pay around $5000 to $6000 said and done. It's more than just the transmission that needs swapped. A great way to go though. I think a dogbox costs about half that though. These prices are with labor I believe, and could be off. They're just what stick out in my head.

#16 ·
The cost of PPGs 1-4 Helical (stock 5th gear) is $4,000, Mfactory front LSD $650, Clutchmaster Stage 3 clutch $750, Act StreetLite Flywheel (13.9Lbs) $250, Transmission Rebuild $500, and un-install/install of tranny $350. This totals $6500, and is my list that I will be upgrading to in early spring next year. You can probably skip some parts on here to drop the price, or maybe some different ones. But from what I have been researching this would be a solid setup.

As far as the 6SPD goes, it depends on what version and what year you get to how expensive it is to both purchase and install. I had a long conversation with the guys who are doing my work about which way to go. I actually could have gotten a 6SPD for about the same price, but not every6SPD takes everything that some people say (like I was told when I was new and didnt know). But you being in Europe, what model do you have? And I have no clue what type of shops are like or capable of over there.

#19 ·
It could possibly have a much easier 6mt swap than the usdm counterparts. I'm still not convinced that the 3 gen usdm wrx and sti 6 mt swap isn't any cheaper than the previous gens. What did you hear joshua?

#20 · (Edited)
When I had my conversation about it, it breaks do to what gearing/ratio you like/want, or do with the car (i.e auto-x, drag). And it also depends on what you do with either swap/setup. Im getting a good bit with my tranny (1-4 helical PPGs, clutch/flywheel, and front LSD, and of course fluids) thats $6500 (parts and install) right there. The 6spd is about $5500 by itself (bought and installed), but then you have to consider getting a different short shifter again, and then the clutch/flywheel, LSD. Keeping the 6SPD as basic as possible its close to the same as my 5SPD built with extras. So basically finding out what you want to do with the car, how much power you want, and downtime you want factors into that equation also. I think having a 5SPD, stick with the built 5SPD, thats just my opinion though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.