WRX muscle car sound - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-03-2005, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Indoles is an unknown
WRX muscle car sound

alright,

so the other day im driving and i pull up next to this rex and im watching this dude and he turns on his car and revs to shit around with some civic and this rex sounded exactly like a saleen. This guy did not have a jacked up exhaust or holes in the stock muffler, he had an upgraded exhaust and it was an 02. It had this deepass american muscle sound to it. Does anyone know how that can be done? i want my exhaust to have a deeper sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2005, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
any aftermarket exhuast is going to sound that way. the only distinct difference in the sound is the different brand mufflers. but what you heard is the sound of the beautiful boxer engine that subarus give off.
#3 Old 07-03-2005, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
boxer engine doesn't have anything to do with it, unequal length header is why subarus sound like they do

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#4 Old 07-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by T WREX
boxer engine doesn't have anything to do with it, unequal length header is why subarus sound like they do
I've always wondered about this. Can anyone explain what exactly is an equal and unequal length header? Or a sketch a crude pic in paint?

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 07-03-2005, 08:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
The distance from the actual exhaust port on the engine (where the header or exhaust manifold mates) to where the collector pipe is (4 pipes come together into 1).

If that distance is equal for all cyl it is equal length, if it is not equal then obviously unequal length.

Of course the configuration of a H-4 forces unequal length to be the more common type. since it's not dual exhaust. Driver side pipes are longer than pass. side.
#6 Old 07-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Vew

So... in theory, since the Legacy Turbo GT is dual pipes (assuming equal length in the dual pipe case), it would sound raspy like every other 4 banger?

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#7 Old 07-04-2005, 12:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
Legacy GT has true duals?
#8 Old 07-04-2005, 10:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasyncp17
Legacy GT has true duals?
Nope

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#9 Old 07-04-2005, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
Didnt think so
#10 Old 07-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Vew

oh !Notfunny!

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#11 Old 07-04-2005, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew
I've always wondered about this. Can anyone explain what exactly is an equal and unequal length header? Or a sketch a crude pic in paint?
I'll do you one better:

Gruppe-S header, typical 4 to 1 unequal length header. Note the extreme difference in length. This is the source of the "boxer rumble":

Fujitsubo 4 to 2 to 1 equal length header, bascially the only one I have seen in this configuration, seems to be TRUE equal length, still uses factory style uppipe:

Quicktime Performance 4 to 2 to 1 header, this is similar to most equal length headers available, with the passenger side runners twisting around to compensate for the length. Mostly equal length but not completely. Also is one piece header and uppipe.

Factory twin scroll header for the Spec C engines. Best equal length design IMO, but is 4 to 2. The problem is that it uses a twin scroll uppipe. So you either need to run a twin scroll turbo, or fab an uppipe. Also, I have yet to find anyone that will sell just the header or header/uppipe, as they all sell the entire twin scroll setup as a kit. I don't think the fab work would be that bad if somehow you were able to source the header and uppipe.

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#12 Old 07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
well.. muffler ABOSLUTELY has something to do with it....

yes true the boxer engine and its usual unequal length headers to go with it has a beautifull sound.....

however... that sound can be ruined, or kept beautiful depending on the muffler you choose....

i know this for FACT. I have a complete catless header-back exhaust... GT-Spec GenII header/uppipe, and TXS turboback 2.5inch exhaust... orignial style TXS muffler....

it DOES NOT sound that great... ask IBuclaplayer... he knows. yeah the car can still be real fast.. .but that don't mean it sounds great.... the muffler really isn't great for sound.... is raspy especially when cold... and even when hard on the throttle yeah it sounds mean, but NOTHING like a large displacment american made sports car.

now... rewind.... i rode in a 2000 subaru impreza 2.5RS... COMPLETELY STOCK accept for a catback exhaust.... sounded BADA$$ !!! i mean sounded just like the v8's... sitting right next to my car... made me sound like a honda with a coffee tin fartcan....

the difference: STROMUNG muffler...

if you want a phenomenal deep sound wether your headers are aftermarket, stock, whether they are equal or unequal length... far and away the best sounding mufflers on teh market for that deep muscle car sound are made by Stromung.

i don't have one... i would like to have one... but i would need to either do fab work to the flange or buy a whole stromung turbo back since just the muffler or catback won't fit with TXS exhaust... which is too much trouble...

but bottom line is... they sound awesome... i've heard others, including IBuclaplayers TXS RFL muffler... theres just no comparison... don't get me wrong.. the RFL sounds nice and is way better and deeper than the original TXS exhaust like mine... but it just is no Stromung IMO... its all about sound resonance kids.. and your muffler handles that anlge. its got little to do with power. (my car sounds like a badass honda fartcanner and thats it, but it STILL makes 300 at the wheels )

my .02
#13 Old 07-27-2005, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
I ran a Cobb 3" turbo back for a year & got used to the deep, mellow sound. When I installed the gruppe-s headers, up-pipe & vf34, the sound got a lot more fierce. I wouldn't say American V-8, more like Petter on a road transfer between stages.
#14 Old 11-27-2005, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

callahan is an unknown
The Boxer Engine Does Have A Distinct Sound, But The Only Way You Will Get That Musclecar Sound Is With An American V-8 Engine. It Is An Apples To Oranges Comparison. The Wrx Will Never Sound Like A V-8. This Isn't A Bad Thing. It Is What It Is.
#15 Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
i dunno i was next to vette with exhaust bout 2 months go. nd my ride sounded excly like his