WRX Japanese Version - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-26-2004, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

heticor is an unknown
WRX Japanese Version

I read that WRX Japanese Version comes with 2.o litres. 280 bhp and 291 lb-ft torque.
and the american version was detune to 227.
Could somebody tell me what is the difference between those two? what do they change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 12:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
That's the JDM WRX STi and it pushes more boost and has a bigger turbo. Bigger turbo than the US STi too I beleive.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

bluesnow is an unknown
Import tuner put a jdm engine in a car not too long ago and it is very different. Pistons,crank, just about everything is stronger. I will post when i read it again
post #4 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 08:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

bluesnow is an unknown
To most people stateside, converting to STi spec is merely adding the light covers and OEM badges. To be considered a fully-converted STi means physically pulling out the U.S.-spec five-speed transmission and 227-hp engine and replacing it with the 271-horsepower, J-spec model. Yeah, yeah we know, the U.S.-spec, 2.5 STi is 300 horsepower, but we chose the J-spec model. In any case it's still better than the standard engine. Since there are very few people that have attempted the swap, we decided to give it a shot. Before we got our feet wet we first had to get our hands on the setup, and just as luck would have it, a gentleman by the name of Ben Lake happened to call me and tell me he could get a low-mileage Subaru engine through Japan. After a quick meeting with him it turned out they are able to get used engines directly from Subaru at very low prices. We went through a distributor located in Canada, Four Star Motorsports, and an engine setup was on its way. At the time of the swap we only expected the key components needed to complete it but we ended up with a complete transplant to convert not only the engine to STi, but the whole vehicle to an STi. This included brakes, tranny, wiring harness and ECU.

When it comes to the STi engine's basic engine layout, it looks exactly like the U.S.-spec, 227-hp model but its main difference is its red intake manifold. What counts is what's inside. To start with, the bottom ends of the two engines are completely different. While the U.S. model comes with an open deck water jacket, the STi comes with a semi-closed deck for added strength. Other components that are beefed up to withstand turbo boost abuse include forged pistons and forged high-carbon steel connecting rods. Rods have been beefed up on the rod journal side and if any of you have thrown one of these out of the block, you know the most vulnerable point on the rod is closest to the rod journal. Adding more strength to the bottom end is a reinforced steel crankshaft, far superior to the U.S. spec. With just this bottom end alone, we have seen EJ20s from down under hit 450-and-up horsepower on the stock bottom end, even when they are daily drivers
post #5 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Not to mention that in Japan they get 100 octane gas at the pump, so cars are tuned to run on that.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
in Japan they get 100 octane gas at the pump, so cars are tuned to run on that.
Bingo. Wouldn't that be nice?

"I hear Buschur Racing does WRX UTECs now ... oh buddy!"
post #7 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rizzo is an unknown
I have also read that the AVCS (active valve control system?) is quite a benefit in the power output. Not too mention the stronger motor with 8500 rpm redline, nice!!
post #8 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

heticor is an unknown
what difference cars....

the car is total different , how difucult could be the conversion? and how much will cost?
post #9 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

bluesnow is an unknown
fourstarmotorsports will do it but it cost like 10 grand and that is just an estimate. It might be cheaper if you do it yourself but it will still be 8,000 plus.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rizzo is an unknown
You can get complete v7 sti motors, low mile used that is, for about 4 grand. gruppe-s.com , kingpinperformance.com . Then you just need someone that can install it and wire up the avcs. If you can do the work yourself or know someone who can for cheap it would be an awesome upgrade, one I would love to have. For about the price of many stg 4+ wrx's, you could do the swap and have great power and reliabilty with plenty of room to work with.

Larry
post #11 of 19 Old 09-27-2004, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo
For about the price of many stg 4+ wrx's, you could do the swap and have great power and reliabilty with plenty of room to work with.Larry
I agree. The idea of upgrading to an engine with more "potential" is very enticing.
!Laugh!
post #12 of 19 Old 09-28-2004, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Try this for one of the better block swaps

www.magnusmotorsports.com

2.0 and 2.5L blocks... $5000

All forged internals, proprietary 'anti-detonation technology', iron sleeves... this engine is pretty much bullet proof compared to most of what's out there on the market...

you won't believe me if i say it... But i'll say it anyways...

I've seen this in writing from Nathan at TXS, and if you don't trust him as a knowledable WRX tuner, you at least have to trust the fact that he has tuned this engine on the dyno and has hands-on experience with it in Phil's car.... He speaks about what it is capable of based on what it did in Phil's car. NO Water Injection, no race gas, just Turbo/front mount, etc...

the results are proven:

27psi, 28 degrees of advance, 11.5:1 A/R ratio...... and the kicker is... that's on 93 Octane, no knock. and the engine is said to run very quietly, therefore making knock detection much easier.

i'll say it again... that was on 93 octane... that is not a misprint. Ever dream of +22psi on 93 octane in a WRX??? yeah me too... and there it is... Engine is said to be able to withstand up to 40+ psi reliably.

Now that is absurd.

Even just imagine the potential with 100 octane race gas... got to be awesome.

Godspeed has one sitting at their shop right now.. (saw it yesterday)... its got the Magnus 2.5, Kaaz gears, and a stock mounting location Garret GT30r (i think that's the name of the turbo)... whatever the exact name, the turbo was nothing short of gigantic looking... i've never seen a turbo tucked in the stock fitting like that... all custom downpipe, aluminum intake pipe (the one under the intake mainfold), and uppipe... anyways... They're expecting to break the 500WHP mark with it once the engine is broken in.

SWWWEEEETTTT DUDE!
post #13 of 19 Old 09-28-2004, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

vbe11 is an unknown
post #14 of 19 Old 09-28-2004, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
yeah...

i've read most of that guys stuff... some good literature, but i don't place faith in all of it... he complains how the way i'm modifying my '02 WRX will blow it up on short order ### it wasn't made to perform like that... but no probs so far, 22psi, 300 WHP, yeah i understand that the block aint gonna last as long, but who cares, i'm gonna upgrade it once it blows anyways... most of us running 22psi understand the block is not going to hold up like it would at a max of 14psi... nonetheless, a intersting point of view and worth reading.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-28-2004, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
rexronald how many miles on your motor so far? Iam just wondering becuase iam going to be running a vf22 soon and i have about 28k on my motor.. And about the version 7 motor my friend just did a conversion and everything fell right into place.. he didnt have to change the trans or anything .. but yeah iam about to buy a verison 7 my self great motors sound and run very smooth..dont have to worry about one of thoes blowing up anytime soon, many people are running fpGreen on them without any problems.. its a better choice if you dont want to have to swap stuff from your old motor onto a new block.. like you have to do with axis motors and i-speed motors.. if you just want a complet motor ready to drop in then a v7 or v8 motor is a good choice.