Subaru WRX Forum banner

Would an 18g turbo be safe??

15K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
Im ready to get a new turbo for my 02, just not too sure if its safe for a daily driver, and if it is, what psi do i run at on 91 octane? i have a perrin front mount and fuel rails, tbe, walbro 255lph fuel pump, catless up pipe and downpipe, headers, and of course id be getting larger injectors, just not sure if pinks would be big enough, and its gona get dynoed and tuned that same day, sorry to write so much just worried about my suby. (tranny upgrades next)

#3 ·
u r looking at around 350whp. thats too much for the stock trans
Considering it's an 02, I'll agree that's too much power. But a young newer stock WRX tranny can handle 350whp so long as it's driven right. Your tranny wont last long at all after 350 wheel. It's weak as it is and old to boot, start looking for a tranny now.

How many miles are on your motor and how hard to you drive on a daily basis?
18G is good and pinks will do fine for your setup. An excellent tune and your setup will be safe and strong. The right tune is VERY important. What engine management are you running?

#5 ·
my car has 53,000, i completely know the trannys the weak point, which is why the PPG gearsets coming when i refinance my car in 8 months, i honestly dont drive the car hard so im not worried about the tranny, just mainly concerned if the stock internals are safe with this turbo and how much boost to run

#12 ·
it spools faster yes and really doesn't cost much top end. Yes it makes a little more sense. No, they're really not that different though. If the 18G was a $200 cheaper, I'd be hard pressed to really go for an EVO-III 16G. That said, I think the E316G is about the best turbo on the market for the EJ20.

Just realize you can't make 1000whp in a car that has much WRX left in it. You have to limit yourself to something reasonable. If you're not going to cry that your car has "only" 275whp, you'll find the WRX a great platform. If you want some monster, you need to look into a whole different pricerange of stuff (that costs more than your car did new)

#13 ·
^^ Well said...

Im going with an TD05 18g for my turbo upgrade, Im starting the install on Thursday (Turbo, injectors, FMIC, and a walbro fuel pump. My tune date isnt until the 16th, so Im giving myself plenty of time to work on it and look for any missing parts that Im sure Ill need during the install (extra hoses, etc). Ill let you know what I think after everything done.

From all my research, an 18g is about the biggest you should go on a 2.0l. It is capable of reaching 350whp, but the numbers are usually never that high, few people break the 300awhp mark with the 18g. If you are a decent enough driver and dont shock load your tranny, it should enjoy a nice life. You even have less miles on your 02 then I think most people have on their 04's. I have 75k.

If I could pick a new turbo, Id go with the Evo Big 16g like everyone has posted. Nearly the same top end potential as the 18g but with better spool.

#20 ·
I love my 18g setup. Your tranny will hold up for a while if not indefinitely, especially if you drive it smartly. There are plenty of WRX's running that kind of power on a stock tranny and have been fine for thousands of miles. Will it last forever? No car will, but especially if you plan on getting PPG's, you'll be fine. While it's better safe than sorry, most on the forums talk from what they've heard rather than their own experience. Don't be stupid and your tranny should hold up for a good enough time span.

Trust me, while you won't be making 350awhp with that setup on 91oct. (at best, maybe more like 320...), you will have a lot more fun and while there's a big of lag, it's not worth missing out on the extra you get in most of the powerband. You'll love the setup, though I would suggest as previously posted getting 600+ cc injectors.
BTW, on 91oct you won't want to be running 19PSI....more like 17 or so (that's what I run and I'm definitely not running rich...).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.